Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 181 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Hi ivanaernmore,

>I know its not great to have real time scanner disabled, but I've been trying to go only to known web sites or use another pc (posting from work pc, which is a laptop running xp sp3, but with symmantec, no winlogon  or real time scanning issues whatsoever)"

I do and no harm has come to me. I have a Hardware Firewall as part of the Router.

Do you manually clean out your \Temp files? Then run Disk Cleanup. Disk Cleanup also removes Old Compressed Files.

Try TuneUp Utilities 2011 or 2012. See what happens after cleaning your Windows Registry. Any change can be undone.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 182 of 261

Thanks Dave, I'm looking it up, seeing what's going on.

danf
Former Member
Message 183 of 261

Hi all. I've been following this thread, and finally registered to be able to post and add that I am also experiencing this issue. I wanted to post mainly in order to show that there are probably many users with this issue that:

(a) Are not computer savvy enough to figure out what's causing the issue.

(b) Did try to google the issue, but never found this thread.

(c) Found this thread, but haven't posted.

That is to say, this is probably an issue for many more people out there than it would seem from this thread alone. I spent a long time working on the issue, eventually thinking that it was winlogon.exe and malware - and there are a lot of forum discussions about that - until realizing it was a mcaffee issue, and finding this thread.

I hope that they can fix this soon, because right now the choice is between a virtually useless computer or turning off real time scanning and thus having much less than optimal virus protection; which leads to the obvious third choice of moving to a different antivirus product.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 184 of 261

Somer,

Sending a PM.  I received a response from Tier 2, and would like your feedback on it.

Thanks,

Dave

user_55799
Former Member
Message 185 of 261

Tonight I uninstalled McAfee virus scan and installed Norton Antivirus 2011.  I've used McAfee since I got my first computer in the 90's, but after seeing this problem persist for a year with no end in sight, I have given up.

Computer is running nicely so far.  Whew!!  Such a relief to have CPU space again!

I will monitor this thread and hopefully when my subscription for Norton runs out, McAfee will have fixed their issue.

I have two other computers running McAfee, but when their subscriptions run out, I will switch to Norton as well.

I have cancelled all my auotmatic renewals so I dont get stuck with fees for a product that doesn't work.

Good luck people!

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 186 of 261

Somer,

Well, I have gotten through to Tier 2 support, but all they want is remote access and to take the PC.  I don't allow that.  I have asked them to tell me what logs or other information I can supply them, but all they keep saying is that they have to get the PC to see what is wrong. 

If they would let me know what they need besides remote access screen-sharing, I would be happy to provide that data to them.  So far, nothing yet.

The original Service Request was 484570-740728174.  The one from just now was 742167211.

I'm still open to providing whatever information I can to assist, but at this point I guess I will just pull back, observe and hope something is found.

Dave

user_55799
Former Member
Message 187 of 261

Ran my first scan with Norton this morning after uninstalling McAfee.  17 viruses.  Downloader, Trojan.Gen.2, Trojan.Gen, Trojan.FakeAVIgen27, Trojan.Maljava.  None of these were detected by McAfee. 

So very glad I switched. 

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 188 of 261

dr.chocolate wrote:

Ran my first scan with Norton this morning after uninstalling McAfee.  17 viruses.  Downloader, Trojan.Gen.2, Trojan.Gen, Trojan.FakeAVIgen27, Trojan.Maljava.  None of these were detected by McAfee. 

So very glad I switched. 

Hi dr.chocolate,

Did you run a Full Scan before you had uninstalled McAfee? If you did, then you could say that. However, what Norton calls Viruses, are only Spyware to McAfee and a Full Scan from McAfee would have removed it. (Hopefully).

user_55799
Former Member
Message 189 of 261

I ran scans weekly with McAfee and NEVER get a single notice about finding a virus, trojan, malware, or anything.  Nothing in the logs, nothing showed up in the scan summary.  Now, its possible that I just happen to pick up 17 viruses a few days after the last scan.  But seriously?  I don't believe that.

thecreator wrote:

dr.chocolate wrote:

So very glad I switched. 

Hi dr.chocolate,

Did you run a Full Scan before you had uninstalled McAfee? If you did, then you could say that. However, what Norton calls Viruses, are only Spyware to McAfee and a Full Scan from McAfee would have removed it. (Hopefully).

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 190 of 261

It got worse and I had to allow support access to my PC.   They grabbed some logs off it and have sent them further up the ladder to be researched.  Wishing for a cure to this problem soon!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community