cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 131 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Hi Spyron,I understand what your getting at.I am just scratching my head because this was such a big fiasco last year.My guess is there are to many Chiefs and not enough Indians at the Mcafee work place.Unless of coarse "we have not learned from past experiances"

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 132 of 261

It's unlikely that this is the exact same issue though. For starters, the issue Islandgirl had was in McAgent, not mcshield. There's definitely something going on here, don't get me wrong, but it's not the same issue from a year ago. It's high CPU in a different process.

Out of curiousity, are you one of the people Dinz has been working with? If not, would you be open to allowing us to get some memory dumps off your computer and see if we can use them to narrow this down?

newjack
Former Member
Message 133 of 261

The reason I remember was we were on the same thread last year.For Mcshield.

Found here https://community.mcafee.com/thread/24530?start=40&tstart=0

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 134 of 261

Actually, if you look through there, it's two different issues in the same thread. I was thinking of the other one, the mcagent one... It's ok though, like I said, this issue has actually been reported to development already. Today they told us they needed full memory dumps instead of the usual minidumps we collect. Any chance I can talk you into it?

newjack
Former Member
Message 135 of 261

Sorry,Missed last part there.I would be glad to help you out.Since you saved me a big headache not to long ago.Although when and what needs to be done.Not sure if you remember I did not have a good remote experiance a few years back.I am not around 2 morrow all day and night.If you want PM me.

Message was edited by: newjack on 8/30/11 5:10:12 PM EDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 136 of 261

Cool, I'll touch base with Dinesh and see if we can PM you a time for tomorrow. Thanks newjack.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 137 of 261

newjack wrote:

Sorry,Missed last part there.I would be glad to help you out.Since you saved me a big headache not to long ago.Although when and what needs to be done.Not sure if you remember I did not have a good remote experiance a few years back.I am not around 2 morrow all day and night.If you want PM me.

Message was edited by: newjack on 8/30/11 5:10:12 PM EDT

Hi newjack,

How much Computer memory is installed in your computer?  A memory dump that SPyron is talking about is when the computer crashes. First of all, for Windows 7, it is a Kernel Memory Dump. For Windows XP,  there is a Complete Memory Dump available.

There is a program that you download from a link that they furnish, called Bang_v21 now.

It causes Windows to crash immediately and you can't restart Windows right away. Wait until the dump is written to the Hard Drive to restart Windows.

Don't click on Bang, until you see the problem occur with McShield.exe.

Comment: And I wish all posters would include their operating systems as part of their signature. Beats having to reask every time.

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 138 of 261

Hi newjack to you too! I'm something of an observer this time around, because I can't  make much headway trying to deifne, identify or quantifiy the problem - just that SOMETIMES - and starting quite recenlty - McShield.exe goes nuts for no reason and slows the whole system down to zip.

Right now though, as I write, McShield is at 8,000 - oops - spoke too soon - now its shot up to 31,000 which seems to be about its "resting" level, though why it was way DOWN is also a mystery  when nothing is changing in my working environment. 

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 139 of 261

Hey islandgirl.

Without getting too detailed, when it drops down really low, it's because periodically during normal function, the program will open and close "threads." Threads are like 'requests' a process makes to the CPU of your computer. When one opens, it takes up CPU time and resources. When it closes, it releases CPU time and resources. If it fails to close, or something like that, we see high CPU usage.

Your mcshield is shooting up because the process is making a lot of processing requests to the CPU. It's dropping down because it finished what it was doing and closed the threads off.

You can read all about threading, and multi-threading, and other exciting nerdstuff here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_(computer_science)

Message was edited by: SPyron - Spelling for language the speaking makes good! 🙂 on 8/31/11 9:59:56 AM CDT
islandgirl
Former Member
Message 140 of 261

Sure - I get that it rises and falls as part of a natural rhythm     but surely it shouldn't just keep on climbing?? Tthat's where I'm seeing that there is a problem.  I just had to shut down Real Time Scanning again to "clear" the system as it was locking up again with McShield up at around 120,000

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community