cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 121 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Ok, let's take a moment here and clarify the issue. Real time scan is not the same thing as running an on demand scan. If your CPU goes high when you launch an on demand (manual) scan, that's a completely different issue than the one being reported here, which is high VM usage during regular operation.

Jetblast, if you go back to your About screen, what number is listed beside Affid?

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 122 of 261

jetblast96 wrote:

Thecreator,

the build versions are security center 11.0.578, virus scan 15.0.291, firewall 12.0.338, site advisor 3.3.1.133, and quick clean/shredder 11.0.393

What I meant by compromising is that running a cpu at 100% for a period of time can damage the cpu, and that is why it is dangerous to run the scans (which are designed to help my computer) in this condition. That is all I meant by that statement.

I turned off real time scanning and ran a full scan, getting the same result. All 4 cores 100%. After 10 seconds of this I canceled the scan and it went back to 3%, 7%, 5%, etc.

Open to new ideas on dealing with this.

Thanks anyway

hI jetblast96,

Can you tell which type of file that the Scheduled Scan is attempting to scan? Zip, Rar, Exe or something else?

jetblast96
Former Member
Message 123 of 261

Thecreator, this issue occurs no matter what type of on demand scan it is, or what it is scanning. Quick scan and full scan both get this issue and it is consitant during the whole scan.

SPyron, the number next to affid is 105-264, and we have been talking about the on demand scan, not real time scanning

Mike

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 124 of 261

Ahh ok, thanks for clarifying Jetblast... I was so confused!

If you go open the Virus and Spyware Protection drawer and click Scan your PC, can you select Run a Custom Scan, then open the Customize Your Scan drawer. Tell me if the box beside "scan using minimal resources" is checked? If it is not, can you check it, then run the scan and let me know if you get the same results?

jetblast96
Former Member
Message 125 of 261

SPyron, yes it is checked

Mike

jetblast96
Former Member
Message 126 of 261

Wait, I just tried to run the custom scan. CPU usage is staying around 14%! I think this is a breakthrough, it seems that the default full scan does not 'scan using minimal resources', but the custom scan seems to be working much better! Thanks a ton, SPyron!

Mike

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 127 of 261

Oh not so fast Mike. While the on demand scan WILL use more CPU than the real time scanner, I don't think it should be using 100%. Maybe if you were on a really old computer with poor resources, ok, but your specs look fine. I'd expect 40-60% CPU peg. I'm still going to discuss this with my tier 3 guys right quick.

I would highly advise, however, that people having an issue specifically during the on-demand scan (like the one you and a few others are reporting) either create a new thread just for that issue (this thread is actually for high CPU split in winlogon and mcshield) or try contacting chat support so they can get a ticket going with McAfee support. These memory issues frequently require us to escalate a ticket through support, and that takes a lot longer in this forum, as we're mostly volunteer moderators who can't create a ticket for you.

Ok, I'll ping my support and see if they have any suggestions. Let you know what I find out!

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 128 of 261

Mcshield.exe went  nuts (again) overnight; by 7am it was up around 120,000 and still rising. computer was really slowed down...This is the second time in a few days that this has happened, after a period of relative calm,.  These two episodes were either side of an update install.

Shutting down Firefox did not change anything.  Shutting off real time scanning got McSheild to drop right back down again, and now, with Real time Scanning back "on"  its steady at around 30,000.

newjack
Former Member
Message 129 of 261

Hi Spyron,Although in essance you may be talking about 2 differant actions.They both again involve mcshield.exe and very high CPU use.Hi islandgirl.Sorry to see you back here again this year.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 130 of 261

Oh, I know. The problem is, two different issues can cause the same symptom (high cpu). If we just troubleshoot all of the different issues together, we'll never find the commonality that points us to the cause. The best we could hope for then would be to fix one thing, only to leave the other people stuck out even longer. Worse, we could go in entirely the wrong direction thinking it's one issue, only to find it's something else entirely.

Mostly, it's just impossible to get a proper test group together if everyone has a different actual problem. We saw this with the high cpu issue with the print drivers in another thread. We'd get 3 people to work with, and when we started working, 2 of them didn't even have the printer causing the issue... so we can't just not help those two. Now we're helping those two with completely unrelated issues instead of focusing on the original problem.

It's just important for people to understand that there's a method to troubleshooting, and it requires us to pick one specific issue and focus on it. I also think it's good for people to know they can always contact support and get a service request opened (sometimes I think we neglect to tell people that, and possibly cause them a delay).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community