cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 111 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

That was my complaint in one of our meetings seems the beta is there mainly for new versions and big patches not the little patches that are anyway QA'd the heck out of. Mcafee keeps the beta live so they can keep a user base ready for the next year version.

I will ask that it be updated as there is a patch out that we need anyway

user_55799
Former Member
Message 112 of 261

Thnak you to everyone for working so hard to put all this information out here for the rest of us to see.  I appreciate all your efforts.

I've been watching this thread (and similar ones) for a while now.  It doesn't seem like McAfee is much closer to fixing this issue than they were a month ago.  I'm having a hard time justifying renewing my subscription when my computer is still running slow and mcshield continues to cycle scanning winlogon.exe.  I've had McAfee for years and I'm really annoyed that I might have to switch for a year until this is resolved.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 113 of 261

dr.chocolate wrote:

Thnak you to everyone for working so hard to put all this information out here for the rest of us to see.  I appreciate all your efforts.

I've been watching this thread (and similar ones) for a while now.  It doesn't seem like McAfee is much closer to fixing this issue than they were a month ago.  I'm having a hard time justifying renewing my subscription when my computer is still running slow and mcshield continues to cycle scanning winlogon.exe.  I've had McAfee for years and I'm really annoyed that I might have to switch for a year until this is resolved.

Hi dr.chocolate,

Sad to say, that McAfee  doesn't see people walking away. It just sees Users staying and complaining. Saying to themselves, they must be doing something right.

Oh, the workaround is to disable Real-Time Scanning. Set it to Never.

Message was edited by: thecreator on 8/24/11 9:18:41 AM EDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 114 of 261

Thanks for helping so many people out Thecreator, but please don't advise people to disable the real-time scanner without giving them a warning. It'll drop the CPU usage down because it's disabled. The real-time scanner is the "always on" part of the scanner that spot-scans files and programs as they're accessed. You're essentially telling them to turn off half the product, and it will open the door to script-loading viruses and certain trojans. The only way they'd be able to detect a threat is if they do a manual scan. By then, they're already infected.

Regarding the memory issues with winlogon, I'm currently working on multiple issues with this behavior, but MULTIPLE different causes. So what fixes one issue doesn't do a thing for another one. Regardless, I'm still researching, testing, trying to sort it all out, but it does take time. Memory and CPU usage issues are quite possibly the most difficult types of issues to resolve, as they're painfully tedious and hard to pin down causation. Still working on it though! And I'll keep working on it until I figure something out. So far I've got about 6 different reports, with easily 12 or more possible

identified causes. And we've managed to find the actual cause of 2, and those code changes are on the way in a future patch release. But that's just the first 2. Still a lot more work to do.

Why do we advise people to try the beta? Because some people with the same symptoms reported it resolved their issues. Is referring you guys to the beta ideal? No, really, it isn't... but if I choose between a group (or even a single customer) not able to function vs. running the beta for a month or two until it goes into formal release, and they can reinstall the release client and get the same effect... I'll refer you to the beta. Sorry if it  didn't work for you, back to the drawing board.

Regarding why the betas are behind on patches, beta releases aren't like release clients. Betas are a solid core package featuring new code and, sometimes, new features. A beta has already gone through a QA cycle and been found ready. The next phase is to get it on a small group of actual customer computers, as you guys have an infinite number of variations which are impossible to fully simulate in our lab. This means two things: 1) You're not a guinea pig, the software has already been tested by the beta phase and 2) betas don't get updates like a release client, they mostly just get DAT updates, because the module that manages those updates (as I understand it) isn't active in a beta product. It isn't needed. So beta will be a newer version of the PRODUCT, but not necessarily the newest patches.

Next steps. I've got to circle the wagons with the mods and Dinesh, see where we stand on each individual case, see if we're lagging behind on data collection, then see if anything has been logged and recorded in the way development needs to see the problem... then I get a devloper to look at the logs and captures and see what we see.

I'll get to work on all that, and update everyone as info comes to me.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 115 of 261

Hi SPyron,

> Thanks for helping so many people out Thecreator, but please don't advise people to disable the real-time scanner without giving them a warning. It'll drop the CPU usage down because it's disabled. The real-time scanner is the "always on" part of the scanner that spot-scans files and programs as they're accessed. You're essentially telling them to turn off half the product, and it will open the door to script-loading viruses and certain trojans. The only way they'd be able to detect a threat is if they do a manual scan. By then, they're already infected.

I stated that it was a workaround, which works for me. I have never gotten a Virus as a result. I have always kept the Firewall on.

I need to keep Real-Time Scanning set to Never, because it interfers with Beyond TV Recordings and conversions. Norton has the ability to exclude product, but I am not running Norton.

As for Winlogon.exe or Windows NT Logon Application, if it does not have Full Accesss going through the McAfee Firewall, you are going to experience High Memory Usage with that program.

My setting for Windows NT Logon Application is Full Access and a Memory Usage of  2,240k plus zero CPU Usage.

newjack
Former Member
Message 116 of 261

Well I guess I can be added to The Mcshield fun and games again.I noticed today while doing a full scan from my Administrator account Mcshield.exe is again eating up all of my cpu.Since I was so lucky to have this problem last year.Also after receiving the 2010 version.I am lost for words.I just can`t understand how After dealing with so many issues with this problem last year.For months and months.It has reared it`s ugly head yet again.2 years and running this has been going on.Oh,I forgot! I have to first unhide the Image I want to post here.Since this is another Mcafee Issue that is going on 4 months without a fix.Sorry if there is to much sarcasm.It is just not very costumer friendly of Mcafee to have their paying costumers constantly waiting Months.In this case years for a proper working product.

Mcshield full scan.JPG

jetblast96
Former Member
Message 117 of 261

EXACTLY the problem I am having! There is no way I am going to ruin my processor every time I do a scan. This NEEDS TO BE FIXED. Here are some specs:

CPU: Intel I5-520m 2.4GHZ quad core

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Model: Dell Studio 1558

Hard Drive: 460GB

Mcafee version: Security center 11.0, Virus scan 15.0, Personal firewall 12.0, Site advisor 3.3, quickclean/shredder 11.0

I get 100% CPU usage while doing the scan. The scan goes haywire, getting to 20% done in only a few minutes. This speed is what is overstressing my CPU. Before the update, I got maximum 30% CPU usage from mcshield.exe during a scan. It is now between 70% and 98%!

Please look into this. As I said before, I will NOT compromise the most important component of my computer by doing a virus scan designed to help it!

Mike

Message was edited by: jetblast96 on 8/27/11 11:25:21 AM CDT
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 118 of 261

Hi Mike,

> Mcafee version: Security center 11.0, Virus scan 15.0, Personal firewall 12.0, Site advisor 3.3, quickclean/shredder 11.0

What is the Build version?

> As I said before, I will NOT compromise the most important component of my computer by doing a virus scan designed to help it!

What do you mean by this?

> Sypron wrote: The real-time scanner is the "always on" part of the scanner that spot-scans files and programs as they're accessed.

That's why the CPU Usage is so high. When Scheduled Scans, scans a file, Real-Time Scanning starts accessing the same file. Both parts of McAfee seems to be fighting over the same file.

jetblast96
Former Member
Message 119 of 261

Thecreator,

the build versions are security center 11.0.578, virus scan 15.0.291, firewall 12.0.338, site advisor 3.3.1.133, and quick clean/shredder 11.0.393

What I meant by compromising is that running a cpu at 100% for a period of time can damage the cpu, and that is why it is dangerous to run the scans (which are designed to help my computer) in this condition. That is all I meant by that statement.

I turned off real time scanning and ran a full scan, getting the same result. All 4 cores 100%. After 10 seconds of this I canceled the scan and it went back to 3%, 7%, 5%, etc.

Open to new ideas on dealing with this.

Thanks anyway

newjack
Former Member
Message 120 of 261

Hey Jetbast96,Unfortunately this has been an ongoing problem for the last 2 versions of Mcafee.Everyone is just ...............Waiting again.I had the problem last year until finally one day months later the problem was fixed.I believe with some sort of patch.I am going to assume we can expect the same long wait this time.As a matter of fact the problem was so bad and lasted so long.They had to start a new thread.Here is the other 1 from last year.Not sure if you will find any help here.Although I believe one or 2 people were maybe fixed by a printer driver update??https://community.mcafee.com/message/133842#133842   

By the way I would not turn off the real time scanner.Mcafee should have fixed the problem the first time.

Message was edited by: newjack on 8/27/11 2:57:42 PM EDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community