cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coxdavi
Contributor
Message 101 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Running the beta.  Problem exists when I have multiple tabs open, or emailing, or creating documents.  Doesn't matter what I am doing.  Probably best-described as a hang or freeze, but I call it getting swapped out where all activity comes to a halt.  When I am monitoring processes, mcshield will be second to iexplore.  The range of memory usage tonight is typical:  iexplore at about 100,000K and mcshield at about 50,000K.  For CPU util, iexplore will show anything from low-teens to 70 or 80% with mcshield at low percentages, if any.  If I am monitoring performance, CPU usage will swing wildly while Page File usage will sit at 825 or 850 meg as tonight, but it too can vary.    Now, on to PERFMON and other tools.

Dave

jcmarino
Former Member
Message 102 of 261

Hi all,

I have McAfee Total Protection w/3 pc lic.  It has all the latest upgrades and updates.  I have observed the mcshield and winlogon exes running high in task manager for WinXP Pro SP3 on all 3 pcs McAfee is installed.  I noticed it 1st on my lower end pc (Dell Dem 2400 with 1 mb of ram.)  It will freeze up the pc to the point of frustration.  Found winlogon hoging 50% of the cpu.  Searched net for winlogon problems, found some virus links but to no avail. 

Ran the security tango (AskNick.com) mulitple times found some viruses but still the winlogon problem continued.  Observed winlogon and mcsheild cycling 0% to 50% every 20 seconds or so.  No other programs running.  Disabled McAfee and problem went away.  Turn McAfee back on problem reappears.  Observed same problem with my main pc a P4 3.4ghz 2gb ram WinXP Pro SP3 but winlogon only hogs 20% of the cpu so it is not as noticable. 

I also run another pc (3ghz cpu and 4gb ram with WinXP Pro SP 3) but use AVG Anti Virus (full version with all the dodads) and observe no problems with winlogon or cpu usage maxing out. 

Came to the McAfee website looking for answers and found this thread.  If I read through correctly, the problem may or not be in the current version of McAfee and the newest beta version may or may not fix the problem and no known viruses identified as a possible cause.  For me, the problem is relatively new and I have been trying to deal with it for about a month.  I "Dance the Tango" on all my pcs regularly.  If you have never heard of it, go to askNick.com and there are links to the tango with instructions and links to all the various spy, mal and protection software.  It is a great resource.

So, what do I do?  Dump McAfee (seek refund) and run AVG.  Or suffer through, hoping McAfee fixes the problem.  In my opionion something in McAfee is causing winlogon to fire up and hog cpu resource.  I really don't want to load a beta version on all 3 of my pcs on a maybe.  Especially for what McAfee charges for their software.   If the beta version does not exihibt the problem, when is the official version of McAfee expected to be released?  Note: if you read a bit of frustration in my verbage, you are correct.

Please advise!

Mabden

obtw, I agree with another poster here that it is not right (fair) that you have to pay to talk directly with someone from McAfee. 

Message was edited by: jcmarino on 8/22/11 8:32:17 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 103 of 261

obtw, I agree with another poster here that it is not right (fair) that you have to pay to talk directly with someone from McAfee. 

You go to technical support link in useful links tab above and chat with a tech. When he does not sort you out you ask for an escalation call back and a higher level tech will call you back at no cost.

I have used the above path myself and me being a mod changed nothing.

BTW the beta is 2 patches behid the current retail as we are waiting for the 2012 beta to start later on this year.  The techs are testing things to see why this is happening. My 3 PCs run fine but they are medium to medium-high end .

1 thought was let windows manage the swap file rather than fixing it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/08/11 7:35:26 PM
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 104 of 261

Hello Mabden,

Out of curiosity, which viruses did you find? In my own research, I also found a virus link, but it was a very old threat. I'd like to know what you did find though, so I could see what that particular threat does, and if it is similar to what I previously found.

jcmarino
Former Member
Message 105 of 261

SPyron,

Honestly, I don't remember, since I was looking for a specific virus, http://www.computing.net/answers/security/is-this-vundo-winlogonexe-issue/27964.html, that I thought might be the problem I was experiencing with Winlogon.exe.

Thanks,

Mabden

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 106 of 261

Grrr... a vundo variant that injects winlogon.exe? I've never heard of that before, but it isn't impossible. Let me see if we have anyone working with an agent on this right now, see if we can add this into the troubleshooting.

jcmarino
Former Member
Message 107 of 261

PK,

"You go to technical support link in useful links tab above and chat with a tech. When he does not sort you out you ask for an escalation call back and a higher level tech will call you back at no cost."

Thanks, I will check it out next time.

"My 3 PCs run fine but they are medium to medium-high end .'

This is not really the point, there is an observable problem that needs resolution.  I also have a high end pc that Winlogon hogs 20% cpu resource, it is not as noticable, but it is still there. My lower end pc, the one the kids use, is rendered useless with McAfee turned on.  Turning it off "solves" the problem, but then I have to upplug it from the network, also rendering it near useless since the kids require internet for homework. 

"BTW the beta is 2 patches behid the current retail as we are waiting for the 2012 beta to start later on this year.  The techs are testing things to see why this is happening."

This helps me how?

Thanks for the reply,

Mabden

Peacekeeper
Message 108 of 261

The beta I feel has been proven not to help. somer was seeing if a patch that the beta did not get was the cause.

The techs are trying to figure this 1 out as not all that common. BTW have you set the swap file to a fixed value or let windows work it out?

All my PCs act normal no untoward cpu usage that you are seeing.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 109 of 261

Hi Tony,

I thought that most folks were under the impression that the beta was helping with the high CPU problem.  I thought I was in the minority where the beta had no effect.  I will wait to hear if Somer gets something on a patch not applied.

Dave 

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 110 of 261

Peacekeeper wrote:

You go to technical support link in useful links tab above and chat with a tech. When he does not sort you out you ask for an escalation call back and a higher level tech will call you back at no cost.

I have used the above path myself and me being a mod changed nothing.

BTW the beta is 2 patches behid the current retail as we are waiting for the 2012 beta to start later on this year.  The techs are testing things to see why this is happening. My 3 PCs run fine but they are medium to medium-high end .

1 thought was let windows manage the swap file rather than fixing it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/08/11 7:35:26 PM

Hi Peacekeeper,

>  BTW the beta is 2 patches behid the current retail as we are waiting for the 2012 beta to start later on this year.

Therein lies a problem. McAfee has Beta-Testers. Why hasn't Mcafee released the patches to the Beta-Testers, for a go or no-go on the patch?

Makes no sense to release something to the Retail Version, without the Beta-Testers testing the patches first.

In a viewpoint, while the Beta-testers' product, still has bugs in it, McAfee releases a patch untested by Beta-Testers, putting the Retail Product, in an environment that the Users don't wish to be in, by being a guinea pig or beta-tester of the Retail Version.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community