cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coxdavi
Contributor
Message 91 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Same thing tonight:  I had three tabs open on IE 8.0, home page, Facebook and Twitter.  Also Task Manager.  Was fine for about an hour, then CPU at 100%, fan roaring, PC bound up, Page File usage at 790.  mcshield was up at about 80,000K.  Got fed up, waited, then took out the tabs one by one and took IE down all the way.  PF usage went down to around 540, CPU 0 to 10%, fan stopped screaming.  Started IE back up ( home page only ) and PF usage is up around 700, IE at 85,000, mcshield at 60,000, no fan sounds. 

I'll leave the beta in place for now.  Going to migrate over to the Microsoft community for IE 8 and see if I can get a solution.  I'm not leaving this community, just temporarily hopping over to MS. 

Dave  

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 92 of 261

Well well. after a couple of weeks of well behaved McShield.exe, i suddenly noticed today that its was up at 107,000 and climbing.  At 116,000 I shut off Real Time Scanning  and it dropped right down to 4,000.

Point I'm making is that the programs that I have open today are no different to the programs I had open when it was behaving. The only change that has taken place is a Windows system update which i did  couple of days ago - haven't shut down since then.

Now its up to 40,000 again CPU up at 50% with nothing esle running except Firefox.

Message was edited by: islandgirl on 8/13/11 11:22:29 AM GMT-06:00
coxdavi
Contributor
Message 93 of 261

Sorry to hear you are back in the fray!  The beta is not the cure for everything.  I think the good folks from McAfee would say the same thing.  That thought has been rolling around for a couple of days as I still was suffering from this swap-out nonsense, even with the beta installed.  I have been monitoring Task Manager closely.  Like you Islandgirl, I have several apps that are running on a very frequent basis.  I am going to try something from MSoft called Guided Help related to peformance issues like we are experiencing, once the Guided Help is able to be run.  One thing I did earlier was to manually change the setting for Page File Size to System Managed Size from custom settings.  Seems to be behaving ok, and I am not seeing the swap-outs like I was earlier.  PF Usage is at 815 meg, CPU util is at 30% or lower.  Fan is quiet.  I kind of like this!  More monitoring to do, then report back.

islandgirl
Former Member
Message 94 of 261

Seems to back to behaving normally now - for the moment.

I don't like to change settings which previously worked fine just to stopped the symptoms of a problem from showing up- because that way you are not in a "controlled" situation. I would like to know WHY  McShield.exe go nuts every so often and get THAT fixed trather than changing something which never needed to be changed before! If you se what I mean....

But if it gets worse I will certainly adjust the Page File Size settings as a temporary fix - thanks for the tip!  

Message was edited by: islandgirl on 8/14/11 8:01:39 AM GMT-06:00
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 95 of 261

Do you guys see the same freak out if you use Chrome or Firefox? Is this JUST IE8?

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 96 of 261

Somer,

I took IE down and started up Firefox, and I received the same swap-out result.  It wasn't consistent, but intermittent.  When I had Firefox active, the Page File usage was at about 800 meg consistently.  When I had IE 8 up before that, i was ranging from mid-700's upwards to 1G.  I am going to check with the corporate Windows people to see what they advise and will let you know. 

Dave  

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 97 of 261

Wow. That's absolutely not the result I expected.

You say this started after a Microsoft update, do you happen to remember the update number? I'd really like to see what was in that update...

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 98 of 261

Tonight, I thought I would try something different, and I am using Opera for browser.  I also have Facebook and Twitter open in other tabs alongside as usual.  So far, no freezes.  CPU util is from very low to mid-50's.  Page File usage is at 870 meg right now.  Everything looks ok right now on Monday night.  I might have to go back to IE 7 and see what happens with that. 

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 99 of 261

I ended up taking Opera down all the way, and after having IE8 up for a brief time, decided to take IE8 off my PC which gave me IE7 back.  I started up IE7 and the same swap-out problem occurred with IE7.  Said that's enough to that and brought back IE8.  At first, mcshield was up to 90,000K with iexplore at about 30,000K memory usage.  Now, svchost is at 80,000K, mcshield and iexplore are tied at 35,000K or so.  A little after that, svchost and mcshield at about 85,000K and climbing with iexplore at about 40,000K. CPU% is fluctuating wildly, and Page File usage is up to 980 meg.  Away for the night and off to performance monitors next.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 100 of 261

Hi Dave,

Question: Can you go into your Profile, since you are posting a lot and change your signature to include your operating system 32-bit or 64-bit, and Home or Home Premium instead of having to read through all your replies.

Thanks!

At what point are you noticing High Memory Usage? Also what is the Status of the CPU Column for McShield.exe?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community