cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
islandgirl
Former Member
Message 51 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

This is a newly observed phenomenon; I don't think it is related to cache /cleanup etc as otherwise it would have been observed a long time ago.

Just left the computer idling for about an hour with just firefox open. Mcshield.exe was up at 80,000 or so.

opend OE, and MCShield DROPPEd to 7,000, and is now back up at 35,000 and rising..

newjack
Former Member
Message 52 of 261

Not sure if complaining is the the way to put it.I would say you have some people that are just frustrated with a problem that is going on for years.Amoung others.I don`t think that the majority of customers even mind waiting for a fix once in a while.Myself included.When it is the same problems after a new release,I could even understand a few people complaining.Kind of like paying for a new tv and bringing it back every year because it does`nt work.You can take a look through this and see if you think it is temp files and disk clean up.https://community.mcafee.com/thread/24530?start=750&tstart=0

djcaucasian
Former Member
Message 53 of 261

How do I clean the cache of Adobe Flash Player?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 54 of 261

Get CCleaner from Piriform, that'll do a good job of clearing out all the temp files, cache, history, everything. I run the disk cleanup several times a week. It also takes care of tracking cookies. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on how fragmented your file system is : again, Piriform have a defrag tool (Defraggler) which is safe to use.

Sysinternals have a utility (PageDefrag) which defrags the registry - for XP only, note.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 55 of 261

thecreator wrote:

By maintenance, I mean, manually cleaning out your \Temp folders, deleting all possible files and sub-folders. Running Disk Cleanup. Cleaning the caches of FireFox, Java and Adobe Flash Player. Running Chkdsk and defragmenting the Hard Drive.

Cleaned the History List?

I do that daily (except for Chkdsk and defragmenting) and am one who is having the problem with mcshield.exe using too much memory.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 56 of 261

Yeah, me too. But the way I look at it, every little helps 🙂

mcshield memory usage.JPG

Although I don't mind too much about memory usage, especially if it's VM. It's excessive CPU activity I'm more worried about, and I think I may have got that tamed (sort of).

Message was edited by: Hayton (formatting) on 26/07/11 01:13:20 IST
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 57 of 261

djcaucasian wrote:

How do I clean the cache of Adobe Flash Player?

Hi djcaucasian,

What is your operating system?

In Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3 installed, go into the Control Panel. Click on Flash Player. Click on Advanced then click Delete All.

Remember to read before you commit to deleting all.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 58 of 261

jmckee wrote:

thecreator wrote:

By maintenance, I mean, manually cleaning out your \Temp folders, deleting all possible files and sub-folders. Running Disk Cleanup. Cleaning the caches of FireFox, Java and Adobe Flash Player. Running Chkdsk and defragmenting the Hard Drive.

Cleaned the History List?

I do that daily (except for Chkdsk and defragmenting) and am one who is having the problem with mcshield.exe using too much memory.

Hi jmckee,

Here is a tip: If you run Disk Cleanup and Recycle Bin is checked to be emptied and after running Disk Cleanup and Recycle Bin is still showing Full and nothing is in there, Open My Computer. Right-click on the operating system's Hard Drive and click Properties. Click Tools. Click Check Now. Check the first option and if you suspect a problem with Free Space, check the second option. Click Start and then click Yes to Schedule. Reboot to run.

Is the CPU Usage also high?

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 59 of 261

Hi jmckee,

Here is a tip: If you run Disk Cleanup and Recycle Bin is checked to be emptied and after running Disk Cleanup and Recycle Bin is still showing Full and nothing is in there, Open My Computer. Right-click on the operating system's Hard Drive and click Properties. Click Tools. Click Check Now. Check the first option and if you suspect a problem with Free Space, check the second option. Click Start and then click Yes to Schedule. Reboot to run.

Is the CPU Usage also high?

The Recycle Bin has never had that problem. After Disk Cleanup , it is totally empty. The hard drive is 80 gigs with 56 gigs free.

The CPU usage of both mcshield.exe and winlogon.exe spike quite often. The percentage varies from 3% to as high as 75%. Just now , I turned on the system , left it alone for 15 minutes while I did some things elsewhare in the house. When I returned , hard drive light showed no activity. Started Task Manager and at first things were quite quiet (less than 5% CPU , mcshield.exe using 20,000K). Suddenly , mcshield.exe shot up to 50% - 75% CPU and over 60,000K. It remained like that for 4-5 minutes.

Message was edited by:  on 7/26/11 3:40:53 AM EDT
djcaucasian
Former Member
Message 60 of 261

So no one has a clue what's causing this?

And I'm going to spend the rest of my life downloading diagnostic tools in the vain hope that one of seemingly a million different causes will be fixed?

Sweet. You can see why people like Macs.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community