cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 21 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

We thought it might have been the old issue returning but as jmckee is not a 24/7 user the issue is elsewhere maybe.

Peter mer runs fine on ie9 and my PC but then I have no mcshield issue

djcaucasian
Former Member
Message 22 of 261

I also have a problem with the mcshield.exe maxing out my CPU.

Every time I open a webpage or go to another page mcshield.exe goes to 100%, the fan goes into overdrive and everything locks up for 10-20 seconds.
Page faults are constantly climbing.

Slowly tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my PC has become unusable.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 23 of 261

Nah, not the same issue, just trying to see if it's similar, trying to find a commonality. Win 7?

For anyone running the MER tool (mer.mcafee.com), be sure to select CONSUMER-FALCON  in the check boxes. Send me a PM if you have a results file to upload.

DJCaucasian: Do you have any other scanners installed? Anything like AdAware, MalwareBytes, that sorta thing? Also, have you run GetSusp? I'd like to see if it finds anything: https://community.mcafee.com/message/148081#148081. Let me know if that's confusing, I'll help you out.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 24 of 261

I use WinXP SP3. When I ran GetSusp , the only files it questioned were those for CompuServe , which are OK.

No other installed scanners at all.

jwolford
Contributor
Message 25 of 261

When I ran the MER tool, I checked the "all installed Mcafee products" option since I wasn't sure which of the many boxes to check individually.  The names weren't exactly like the four or five McAfee products that I think I have installed.  Would be glad to either run it again with different options checked or send you the one I have.  Can I attach the file to a PM to you?  Haven't used PMs on here before.

My restore points are still disappearing (have only one now and it was created tonite - yesterday's two are gone and the rest of them were already gone).

I think mcshield and winlogon are still less active than they were originally and the computer is usable, but I'm getting periodic "Windows file protection" fault popups which I've NEVER had before in years of using Windows.  I have XP by the way.  It asks for the Windows XP Service Pack CD so it can fix "critical Windows files which have been replaced by unrecognizable versions".   I have an XP disk, but it's an original since the Service Packs have been installed as updates plus this computer was delivered with the installation files ON the hard drive rather than with a physical CD.  The "file protection" warnings have appeared when a PDF file was being opened, when Real Player was going to play a video, when I was going to send an email and most recently when I was testing some new screensaver photos with the desktop "properties" window open.

yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 26 of 261

I've posted several times about the Windows File Protection issues and winlogon.exe activity resulting from them. You can find it here https://community.mcafee.com/message/198090#198090. Some of us have had the pop-ups, others have only had the warnings in Event Viewer. All reported instances seem to be with XP SP3.  Winlogon.exe and mcshield.exe activity seems to coincide. Peacekeeper obtained my MER report and it was already given to Dinz who was working on the WFP issue.

Jwolford, if you download Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 you might be able to see what winlogon.exe is doing. If you do download and run the program, find winlogon.exe when it's doing the activity you described, right-click on winlogon.exe and select Properties. Click the Threads tab. You'll probably see some variation of sfc_os.dll using the the CPU. The mcshield.exe activity will likely occur at the same time. Admittedly, while I have the winlogon and mcshield activity, it only uses up about 17% CPU at most during these occurrences.

Also, your restore points might be disappearing if you're already maxed out on the disk space allocated for system restore. If you've run out of space for it, system restore overwrites the old restore points with the new ones. For me, this appears to be tied to the WFP/winlogon.exe activity because it's causing a lot of activity in the dllcache folder. My guess is whenever the WFP/winlogon.exe activity occurs, it's causing the files from the dllcache to be replaced and backed up to system restore, but not as an actual restore point. From start-up tonight, I watched the winlogon.exe eat up 343 mb of space. This has only occurred since the moment I restarted from upgraded to Version 11 of McAfee Antivirus Plus as of 6/17/11. This also seems to occur primarily on the next start-up following a DAT update + WFP warning, which always seem to go hand-in-hand.

Anyway, don't want to run this off topic, but I think the issues are closely related. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 261

Do not choose all products just choose Consumer falcon no other. Do not choose upload save the log to a file

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 21/07/11 7:08:41 AM
djcaucasian
Former Member
Message 28 of 261

No other scanners, no HP printer, GetSusp had CameraFixer.exe as ASSUMED_DIRTY3.

9 other suspicious files, 3 unknown files with no company attributes......

jwolford
Contributor
Message 29 of 261

Thanks Yippee - you've described my symptoms very accurately and I appreciate the link to the other thread which I've now read and bookmarked - will also post a short summary over there to identify myself as having the probem.  The time frame of about three days ago is also correct for my problems arising.  I have used SysInternals Process Explorer for years as the replacement for Task Mgr so will check the winlogon.exe activity for that dll.  I did notice yesterday that winlogon.exe RAM usage had swollen to 193 mB and dropped to 12.6 mB after a reboot so that even makes sense. 

I've got Virus Scan turned off at the moment while finishing Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware full scans.  Neither those two, McAfee or Windows Defender has found any problems (Defender never does) on this computer for several years for which I give McAfee a lot of credit otherwise I'd be long gone from here.

Had a WFP pop-up waiting on me when I got up this morning since I had allowed Virus Scan to restart after 1 hour prior to going to bed last nite.  Will turn it back on and run MER with Consumer Falcon checked as directed by Peacekeeper sometime later today and send the file to whichever mod(s) is/are appropriate by some means.

Thanks again, misery loves company and I was getting VERY concerned with the WFP messages and disappearing Restore Points.  Have been through issues with McAfee gobbling up system resources (CPU cycles and RAM) previously, but not screwing up critical OS functions ...........Jim

jwolford
Contributor
Message 30 of 261

Peacekeeper - will do that later today.  Pls tell me where to send the MER tool results file and how to do that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community