cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Are you all running your PC 24/7 checking for emails?

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 12 of 261

DanMck254 wrote:

I'm having the same problem and do not have an HP wireleass printer. What about turning off real-time scanning? Is that safe?

Hi DanMck254,

Speaking from that standpoint of someone who actually runs their computers with Real-Time Scanning off, I have not gotten a Virus doing it. I have a Wireless Desktop Computer with Real-Time scanning set to Never, because I record TV Programs on the computer with a TV Tuner Card installed, you can't tell Real-Time Scanning to ignore certain programs or folders, and so I run with it off.

Turning off Real-Time Scanning, you will still notice that mcshield.exe and McSvHost.exe run every time you reboot the computer or turn on the computer.

Of course, I have a Router with the Firewall, built-in into it.

jwolford
Contributor
Message 13 of 261

Good to hear from you again, it's been a long time SPyron, hope you are doing well.

Yes, it got better and is still better.  I cleared a few of the McAfee logs, but only the two with "inst" in the names from that 2009 post's list of four.  Still have mcshield.exe and winlogon.exe coming up on task manager every several seconds to 10-20% CPU time each and they do it at the same time.  Normally winlogon.exe is a little heavier user of CPU time when they are active.

This computer is now usable, but still curious why those processes are working so hard.  This isn't a new computer by any stretch, but I added RAM to 2GB, new video card, new sound card, new PS, etc. over the years so it does OK.  The older Dell - performance not so good on a good day.

The older Dell was still not usable and I cleared several additional logs on it - especially under "Virus Scan" directory which wasn't really referred to in the 2009 post that I linked above.  No ill effects other than McAfee thinking the computer needed some updates (which was expected since I cleared an "update" log).  Just no real improvement.  I removed McAfee and put a free AV on it and it now operates at 90%+ CPU Idle Rate and that's with the Task Manager taking 3-4%.  My wife is happy with it again plus it doesn't go on the Internet much anyway.  May add a software firewall though.

I'm still planning on keeping up with this thread and watching mcshield.exe and winlog.exe.

Versions and builds:

Security Ctr: 11.0.570

Virus Scan: 15.0.288

Firewall: 12.0.335

Site Advisor: 3.3.1.133

CleanQuick and Shredder: 11.0.393

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 14 of 261

Thecreator: You rebel!

JWolford: Well, my next step would have been to run a diagnostic on your system, but that would have been to capture those logs and see what errors were logging... but errr... you cleared the log. 😕 We can still run it, but I'm not sure if it will be helpful.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 15 of 261

My system is only turned on when I use it. The versions installed are:

Security Center 11.0  build  11.0.570

VirusScan  15.0   build 15.0.288

Personal Firewall  12.0   build  12.0.335

Site Advisor  3.3   build  3.3.1.133

QuickClean/Shredder  11.0   build 11.0.393

VS Plus was completely uninstalled and reinstalled on 6/23/11 in hopes of resolving various problems. Those were:

- A connect issue involving dialup (had to use AOL 1st in order to get on). Per a Tier 2 tech , it was a firewall issue and would be fixed (not so far).

- High CPU usage by mcshield.exe , especially post updates.

- System Restore points vanished on their own. That seems to have been fixed after the recent Security Center update.

All of the problems started after a major update/upgrade over 2 months ago.  Now , in addition to the above , MVT runs like it always did , but when it gets to the checking of the components , it  and that's it. Per a tech , that is normal (huh??).

jwolford
Contributor
Message 16 of 261

Oh well, sorry about the log deletions, but it definitely helped some! 

As of this evening, mcshield.exe rises in CPU execution requirements to between 6 and 10% about every 6 seconds.  Winlogon.exe follows the same schedule, but will go to more like 15 to 30% of CPU resources used.  Not what I'd call ideal since I haven't a clue what they are doing for me.

Uh, thanks jmckee for bringing up the System Restore Points issue.  I checked my restore points and normally have a bunch of them back through the weeks and months.  Currently have only ONE and that one was about three hours ago.  Appears that we're running exactly the same versions of McAfee stuff, but mine sure haven't come back.  That's really scary.

My prior problems prior to the computer being bogged down by mcshield and winlogon were VERY slow access SOMETIMES to MS Office documents when I clicked the links (recent files list mostly) and very slow response SOMETIMES to URL links within emails.  I mean 30 seconds or more when it was slow, but sometimes the linked document/webpage came up quickly.  Was thinking that Virus Scan might be the culprit, but never did turn it off and test since the problem was intermittent.

I'd be willing to run the diagnostic if you think it would tell you anything Spryon..............Jim

jwolford
Contributor
Message 17 of 261

Peacekeeper (nice name!) - my computer is on 24/7 and does check for email.  I think I've been through that issue with a memory leak or excess handles or something for Outlook Express back a long time ago.  Ended up switching to Thunderbird (and Firefox - which was a great improvement over IE) to solve that one.

My email downloads from my ISP's server to my onboard Thunderbird program and is checked frequently - every 60 seconds.  I had backed off to a slower checking rate when I had the prior problem.

SPryon - I'm old and forgetful (not on SS yet, but get the cheap soft drinks at the fast food places) - was this related to our last effort together?  I thought it was a system RAM leakage problem that time.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 261

Somer recommended a utility to collect McAfee log files and bundle them ready for analysis which I've been trying to run for a couple of hours now. It definitely won't run in Chrome, and probably not in Firefox. It says it needs "Internet Explorer 5.5 or later" so it ought to run okay in IE8 - except it doesn't. It's trying to download a file but the download never gets started. The progress bar gets stuck at about 35%.

The url for this is http://mer.mcafee.com/enduser/downloadlatestmer.aspx

Anyone else tried it? If it works for you, ask Somer for the email address to send the collected files to.

coxdavi
Contributor
Message 19 of 261

Peacekeeper,

I don't always have my PC active, and email is kept down until I want to check it.  No HP printer.  Here are my current pieces of Total Protection:

Security Center - Version 11.0, build 11.0.570.

VirusScan - Version 15.0, build 15.0 288.

Firewall - Version 12.0, build 12.0.335. 

Still experiencing swapping-out of browser or email.  Just trying to eliminate what I can.  I have gone through an uninstall/reinstall of Total Protection with the problem occurring when I didn't have the software active, which would usually lead me to conclude that there must be another cause of the problem.  As I said, I am trying to get to the root of this problem without pointing fingers at any one thing. 

Dave  

jwolford
Contributor
Message 20 of 261

Hayton - thanks for the link to the MER tool.  I copied the link into IE and downloaded it with no problem, but had to restart it once after I ran the exe file.  Anyway, I now have a 12KB file named GTO-0.tgz on my desktop ready to email to Somer (or whoever) when we get an email address.

I had a 1968 GTO when I was 21, 400 CI, 350HP ... those were the days!  Probably should have kept it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community