Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mcshield activity during site page loading - screenshot

Still pursuing the reasons for slow page loading in IE8 : this latest is to try to identify whether mcshield (the on-access scanner, according to Process Explorer) is slowing the loading by examining page elements - Javascript being one of the elements that might cause problems. However, there is a thread in the Business section which discusses HTML analysis; the Enterprise version at least does some in-depth heuristic analysis of HTML in order to look for code obfuscation, a technique often used by malware writers.

This is the first attempt to monitor mcshield activity. There was a second screenshot taken after several other page loads, but by the time I came to label it I'd forgotten which order I'd done them in. One thing though : different site pages produced markedly different mcshield activity profiles, and where I had expected that later pages would load with less intervention that seems not to have been the case.

Edit - Attached is a screenshot of the CPU activity for the end part of the session in which I posted this message. I had two tabs only open - one for Internal Troubleshooting, one for creating this thread. All the CPU activity is caused by viewing site pages and creating and posting this message.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 12/03/11 18:14:26 GMT
5 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mcshield activity during site page loading - screenshot

We need some comparisons I think between IE, Firefox and Chrome. So here is part 1 : a complete session in IE8, the steps (repeatable) set out here, and the accompanying mcshield.exe activity. As you can see it's not excessive, which undermines the Jive case that all the delays in page loading are down to problems with McAfee software. There is though some impact on page load times, at least in IE8.

1. Open IE8, with Google.co.uk the homepage.

2. In the first tab (no others used in this session) open McAfee Communities, the 4-picture introduction.

3. Log in & switch to Home & Home Office Overview

4. Switch to Security Awareness

5. Switch to Help

6. Transfer to Help/Community Feedback

7. From Your Stuff menu, select Groups

8. Click on avatar to go to own profile

9. Click on Your Stuff tab

10. Select recent post : McShield Activity

11. Back to Your Stuff

12. Select recent post : Continuous moderate CPU activity

13. Reload that view.

This has to be posted now, system outage is due. I'll repeat for FF and Chrome.

Edit - It looks as though I've made a mistake in Step 3. That CPU spike may be just for Login alone, which means all other steps need to be renumbered by +1.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 13/03/11 19:47:58 GMT
marek13
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hello,

I was facing this kind of problem one year ago and i've discovered, that the problem was caused by the multiple references of the same javascript function in the html soucre code. I thing, that mcaffe antivirus is checking the javascript function for each reference. E.g. if you have some big HTML table, and for each table cell you want to handle onclick event with the javascript function, the antivirus will check the same javascript for each table cell. As an workaround I've changed the onclick event handlers [onclick="jsFunct(p1,p2)"] to html link [<a href="javascript:jsFunct(p1,p2)"/>], and the performace problem disappeared.

Best Regards,

Marek13.

sherwood
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Any fix for this problem yet from McAfee?  I'm not savvy enough to understand or implement marek's solution, I was hoping in over a year form the first post there would be an update to fix this.   As far as I can tell my McAfee is up to date but I have been having this problem of massive Mcshield activity for 5+ seconds before page is fully loaded for quite some time.  I have ended up using a linux machine for general browsing, email, etc, and switching back and forth with a KVM to the McAfee protected Windows machine for online transactions.  All other operation of the computer is as fast as as it should be.

Thanks

WinXP, P4-2.8Ghz, 3.2GB DDR2 memory

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 6

What Browser and version?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Moved to SecurityCenter as a more appropriate spot.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community