Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 18

Re: Mcafee2011 update & Questions about 2011

Jump to solution

Snipping tool problems:

Open Control Panel, click the Classic View in the Tasks Pane.

Double click Programs and Features.

Click the 'Turn Windows features on and off' in the Task Pane.

This window may take a couple of minutes to display.

When the options appear in the list, scroll down to the 'Tablet PC Optional Components' and remove the check mark from that item.

Click OK, exit everything and reboot the computer.

This will uninstall the 'Snipping Tool' from the system.

After the computer restarts, go back into Control Panel and repeat the same procedure,

this time add the check mark to the 'Tablet PC Optional Components'.

This will install these components in the system with a fresh copy of all the files.

Attack detection tray lists certain things that you can turn on optionally, but if you click 'Learn More' it tells you that enabling them may cause other things not to work properly.  I normally leave things like that well alone unless specifically told to alter the settings by someone in authority here.

newjack
Former Member
Message 12 of 18

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter, I actually had it unchecked already.I fixed the snipping tool using the registry fix from the other thread.Here is the post from last year on attack detection.

Do you know if this feature adds extra security?https://community.mcafee.com/thread/26401

Thanks for all the help, Jack

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 18

Jump to solution

I remember now....

I said 'The items appearing in "Attack Detections" apparently are really old detections that no longer are a problem and should have been removed from the interface but it's a case of someone in the programming department literally forgetting to do it.  Turning them on or off shouldn't make any difference.'

So I would ignore them.   I remember that was what I was told by one of the managers who got it from the software developer people.

newjack
Former Member
Message 14 of 18

Jump to solution

Not sure why they left it.But thanks for all the help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 18

Jump to solution

Neither do I.  All the best 😉

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 18

Jump to solution

I just uploaded in image in a test area OK using IE9.0.1 - that's the new version since the big Microsoft update yesterday.   FYI to anyone using IE9.

simcha
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

Jump to solution

I find this answer strange, since it is the same answer they gave for the 2010 version, and I can't imagine their "forgetting" to remove something two years in a row.

While most of these attacks seem more likely to be targeted at a server rather than a consumer desktop, some of them could apply to both.

The only other thought I have is that it may be that if the overall security level of the firewall is set high enough, that most of these attacks don't have the possibility of reaching their target because of having been blocked from accessing the PC due to the overall security setting?  But that wouldn't apply to IP Options Validation or to IP Source Routing, so even this possible explanation doesn't explain everything.

I think a lot of people who have been confused over this issue would feel a lot more comfortable if you could get an "official" answer about this section.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this rather confusing subject.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 18

Jump to solution

Ok asked for official comment

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community