cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmjackso
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mcafee Security Center will not update

I have the McAfee Security Center version 12.8.988.  I am UNABLE to update.  It appears to go through an update cycle resulting in a green bar and check mark...but then says "unable to update."  I am prompted to check my internet connection or contact technical support.

I have run the McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT).  It tells me that I have a problem:  "Missing/corrupt COM components (1)"

Below is an image of the component:

Error Log.png

Can anyone offer some advice here?  Do I have malware?

5 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mcafee Security Center will not update

By Observing the MVT details it seems that there is a issue with a Version Build 12.8.958. And I must confess that this is only a guess? While I do not think Malware is your problem, one cannot rule it out. To ease your mind and determine if it is part of the cause of being incapable to update.

You can choose to run the Latest McAfee Stinger (Read How to use), and follow up by running Malwarebytes (Free) for a second opinion. To keep it (Free) do not accept the Free Trial offer/or activate. These two superb tools and others can be found in the following Link:

If no malware is present, short of contacting Technical Support. You can perform a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall by following the Guidelines/Instructions in the following Link:

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...

Before doing so, please make sure you are current with all Windows Updates, to include Internet Explorer. Even if you do not use it, McAfee and other important programs do in order to function properly. In addition, make certain that all of your Add-ons/Extensions/Plug-ins are current. Especially Adobe Flash Player ( 15.0.0.152 )

You may want to check and see if your System Clock is synced and correct also.

If your issues still remain, you can contact Technical Support :

Wishing you all the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator 1

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 6

Moved to SecurityCenter as a better spot. 

Peter

pmjackso
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I contacted tech support.  The solution was to uninstall and reinstall the McAfee products.

Security Center now accepts viral updates.

There were additional issues presenting here....that all seem to be related.

- Spybot Malfunctioned - no updating

- Malwarebytes was twitchy

- Windows Update Malfunctioned - updates were not permitted

- Overall system latency

Tech support stated that Spybot and Malwarebyte NOW conflict with McAfee.

Is this the official word from McAfee?  Up until now, the three have co-existed nicely and have found issues/threats that the other apps did not pick up.

Would someone mind weighing in here?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

Spybot is not recommened to be installed alongside McAfee as there are known issues so please uninstall it.  See the last link below for ideas on 3rd party tools.

The fact that those others are "twitchy" indicates to me an issue with Windows generally.  Make sure it is totally up to date, including IE even if you don't use it.

Have you been using Registry Cleaners at all?   Those are known to cause issues like this.

So is malware so have there been any indications of that?

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Basically Ex_Brit said all I was going to say. Can we consider that your issues have been resolved/answered ? So as we can close this thread.....

Kindest Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community