Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArtieRLT
Contributor
Message 21 of 32

Re: Mcafee Real time scanner keeps turning off

Jump to solution

Interesting lee_1011, same thing has happened to my deskstop, and on or about the same time calendar-date-wise.  I am experiencing the realtime scanning constantly turning off and the same interface change.  I have no idea if it's coincidental or not but about the same time as McAfee updated I also received a rather extensive update to Windows XP.  I've searched this forum for reliable fixes and it seems:

1.) the problems are nearly identical in description, but

2.) the fixes, or suggested fixes are varied

3.) Suggested fixes all seem to involve major surgery to the computer such as completely uninstall McAfee then reinstall (but only a few success are reported)

I also tried the Virtual Technician (it had to do a big update of its own first).  It found a fews registry errors, reported to have fixed them, but the symptoms it continued to report were that a process (presumably the scan module) was not running (duh!).  Then, and this seems odd, I shut the computer down to try again another day and when I turned it on again the icon for Virtual Technician was missing and now I can't find it on the computer. 

I have a WIndows 7 laptop with the previous version of McAfee (apparently it has not yet tried to update) and it is behaving fine. 

I pondered doing a restore to revert back to the previous version of McAfee.  But, it appears someone else (Tom26 maybe) tried that and it worked until McAfee updated again.  So, I'm reluctant to start there...though I suppose I've got nothing to loose by trying.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 32

Jump to solution

As suggested earlier on, open a case with Technical Support, if you already have then contact them again and ask for escalation.   The reasons for this are many and varied and we could speculate on fixes ad infinitum here in these forums.

Technical Support is free of charge and available by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links or McAfee Support at the top of this page or by right-clicking your taskbar icon > Get Help > McAfee Support Website

ArtieRLT
Contributor
Message 23 of 32

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply Ex_Brit,

Speculating on the causes of problems and there soluions....Isn't that the purpose of these forums?  Or have I missed the mark?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 32

Jump to solution

True, and feel free to discuss it.  It's an old issue however that has many causes and affects only certain setups.  I think i've seen it a couple of times in all the years I've been using the software and in each case it was only momentary, which I regard as insignificant.

tom26
Former Member
Message 25 of 32

Jump to solution

Today again I reinstalled my mcafee software and  started facing the same problems.But this time I was able to install MVT on my laptop which detected some errors and fixed some of them.But it failed to fix the major problem "Real time scanner turning off repeatedly and continuous updating  taking place".The upgrade from vs. 11.6 to 12.8 is creating the problems but the fact is that we can't stop it from upgrading.

Untitled.png

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 32

Jump to solution

When you uninstall the old are you running the MCPR cleanup tool?   Also where are you reinstalling from?

If you are installing from an online account it should give you 12.8 straight away.   Don't install from a CD.

Also make sure you system is totally up to date including Internet explorer even if you don't use it, that is very important.

Also check your system clock is working correctly and accurate.

If all else fails contact Technical Support, it's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 27 of 32

Jump to solution

Hi tom26,

Could you please let me know where you purchased McAfee from..? (For instance came pre-installed On DELL pc's , through ISP etc)

tom26
Former Member
Message 28 of 32

Jump to solution

Today I reinstalled mcafee from my online account and it has been working fine since then.It seems the problem got fixed by direct installation from my online account instead of from the CD which I got during its purchase.I got a 3 year subscription of Mcafee antivirus Plus from HCL during my purchase of a laptop from the same.

@Ex-Brit  Thanks for your helpful answers.......

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 32

Jump to solution

tom26 wrote:

Today I reinstalled mcafee from my online account and it has been working fine since then.It seems the problem got fixed by direct installation from my online account instead of from the CD which I got during its purchase.I got a 3 year subscription of Mcafee antivirus Plus from HCL during my purchase of a laptop from the same.

@Ex-Brit  Thanks for your helpful answers.......

Thanks.  Yes I mentioned "Reinstall from your online account" in my very first response.    It's very important.   Glad you are OK.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/12/13 8:15:12 EST PM
tom26
Former Member
Message 30 of 32

Jump to solution

Yeah at that time also I tried to reinstall from my online account but due to some unknown problem I was not able to do so.Also I was not able to install MVT,go to webpages by clicking on urls etc.But suddenly that problem got fixed automatically and I am able to install mvt,reinstall mcafee from online account etc....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community