cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexander23
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Mcafee Internet Security fails to open - just see a box which says "Navigation to the Webpage was Cancelled"

New Lenovo all-in-on desktop running Windows 8 with pre-installed McAfee.

The desktop  has a "McAfee Internet Security" icon which links to mcagent.exe - double click and a large white window appears which just reads "Navigation to the Webpage was Cancelled: what you can try - refresh the webpage" with no hyperlinks or buttons. The window then cannot be closed except with Alt-F4.

McAfee seems to be running as in the processes list there are a number of McAfee instances. One keeps opening and closing which annoyingly deselects whichever window I am working in.

Downloaded the McAfee diagnostic which says everything is fine; "do you still need technical help" took me here.

1) Can I fix this icon? [Note reinstall probably not an option given it is bundled software].

2) If not, Is there another way to open the McAfee control centre?

3) If not, how can I kill McAfee to stop it launching a process every 20 seconds and interrupting me?

Thanks

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mcafee Internet Security fails to open - just see a box which says "Navigation to the Webpage was Cancelled"

McAfee's interface is an Internet Explorer webpage in fact so it depends on a  functioning IE at default settings.   IE doesn't have to be your default browser though.

See this link regarding blank interface:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3000

alexander23
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

Re: Mcafee Internet Security fails to open - just see a box which says "Navigation to the Webpage was Cancelled"

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply and the link (which did not seem to come up in searches), although it refers to blank screen / Java error / open failure rather than this IE error message I have tried the suggested steps.

FYI I am running Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16721 with default settings and automatic updates. There are no other applications with similar errors.

Solution 1) The batch file ran successfully - restarted and with same error.

Solution 2) Installed Java v7 update 45, no old versions present - restarted and with same error.

Solution 3) The PreInstall exe ran successfully - restarted and with same error.

Workaround) regsvr32 returned no errors on any of the DLLs

Solution 4) Uninstall and reinstall - as preloaded software it requests activation of subscription but I cannot open McAfee to do so.

Is there a way of running it or taking control without relying on IE, perhaps? The main problem at present is the opening and closing instance of McAfee (I assume trying to open and failing) which interrupts other desktop applications, but of course no way of knowing if it is functioning or updating etc.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

"Large white window" - I thought you meant a blank window, no?

I thinkn it's best you contact Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

It's free by phone or online chat.

alexander23
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

Indeed a large white window but, inside that window: the error message detailed in the title of this discussion and repeated in my second sentence. So not entirely blank, no.

Thanks for trying - I will post results in here for anyone with the same problem.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Technical Support needs to be involved here I think.

alexander23
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Spoke to technical support - unfotunately there was no solution (he went through the same steps as above) except to remove McAfee entirely from the computer.

Of course the uninstall feature crashed so it had to be fully removed with MCPR.

As pre-installed software there is no way to recover it without buying another copy.

At least the window deselection issue is resolved!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

If it came pre-installed, the chances are the supplier, PC Maker I assume, would most likely have a link on their website to the software.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

On the other hand, you may wish to avoid repeating the situation, however, I can tell you that isn't normal behaviour.

Good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community