Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenwin
Contributor
Message 11 of 51

Re: Mcafee Internet Security - can't check for updates

Jump to solution

Thank you albertl I did not realise that had happened as part of the problem, and I agree, software that says everything is great when it is clrealy broken is a big problem.

I have thought some more about this, and the massive 1.5G download I needed to solve it in the end.  If I was working out of office at UK rates that would have cost me a small fortune to get my PC working again.  As the loss of 3 hours money already far exceeds the cost of Anti-Virus software I think I would now be a fool to stick with a failed product like this.  Luckily I have a spare Norton license available from one of my other PCs.

Good bye Mcafee.

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 12 of 51

Jump to solution

No loss of connectivity here, but enough similarities to post in this thread.

I tried a manual update yesterday when I got an error message that 'updater' service had stopped .... this eventually produces "An error ocurred" message, also the 'About' tab does not function. Everything else, scans, etc; seem to be OK, and Control Centre Is green (which really doen't mean anything !!!)

Although I only got the updater error on one pc, the other behaviour is identical on a total of five.

I have rebooted quite a few times with no change, but at the moment do not wih to re-install on 5 systems - hopefully McAfee can come up with an answer !!!!

I would also like to congratulate (and thank) the moderators on these forums, without whose input the forums would very much be a waste ..... it usually takes a very long time before anyone from McAfee appears !!!

As a long-time user of McAfee I have always been loyal, but I have to say that this year it appears to getting beyond a joke ........ an endless round of problems relating to connectivity, videos, slow connections, dats etc; that usually involve changing some settings, and more often than not being recommended to re-install everything. I, for one, just expect my security suite to sit quietly in the background and do it's job - is that too much to ask ??

Dave

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 51

Jump to solution

moorlandmagic wrote:

No loss of connectivity here, but enough similarities to post in this thread.

I tried a manual update yesterday when I got an error message that 'updater' service had stopped .... this eventually produces "An error ocurred" message, also the 'About' tab does not function. Everything else, scans, etc; seem to be OK, and Control Centre Is green (which really doen't mean anything !!!)

Although I only got the updater error on one pc, the other behaviour is identical on a total of five.

I have rebooted quite a few times with no change, but at the moment do not wih to re-install on 5 systems - hopefully McAfee can come up with an answer !!!!

I would also like to congratulate (and thank) the moderators on these forums, without whose input the forums would very much be a waste ..... it usually takes a very long time before anyone from McAfee appears !!!

As a long-time user of McAfee I have always been loyal, but I have to say that this year it appears to getting beyond a joke ........ an endless round of problems relating to connectivity, videos, slow connections, dats etc; that usually involve changing some settings, and more often than not being recommended to re-install everything. I, for one, just expect my security suite to sit quietly in the background and do it's job - is that too much to ask ??

Dave

I have 7 OS's and was fearing the worst but only my main one Vista needed the software reinstalled yesterday, I waited until today to check the others which simply updated this morning without incident and didn't produce any errors once done.

@stephenwin, I wasn't trying to belittle the inconvenience which I fully appreciate.  Anyway, good luck.

moorlandmagic
Contributor
Message 14 of 51

Jump to solution

Thanks for info Peter, I've just tried again on main pc (vista), still the same, so will wait a while .... I'm in the UK, so maybe the update schedule will be different anyway

Dave

verno
Former Member
Message 15 of 51

Jump to solution

Don't feel bad, i spent all afternoon and most the night to get my Windows XP machine working. I also had to uninstall Malwarebytes prior to downloading the new and improved version because after I thought I had everything working and reset the computer McAfee tried to reinstall and magnificently crashed. Oh boy start over! The servers were so overloaded it took forever to install on my economy version DSL through AT&T. It would get to about 50% and reset to 20%. I finally opened Firefox to keep the internet active while McAfee downloaded at a snails pace. Finally made it about midnight. Rebooted a couple times and checks OK so far. Spent 1 hour waiting for an AT&T tech because I had no clue why I had no internet access. Went through standard network settings and Modem reset, lights ect. then says to uninstall McAfee. Walla internet works. Transfers me to McAfee and wait 1.5 hours for tech. In the mean time I did it myself.

Intel must be thrilled with McAfee. Futer shock is here. McAfee should release news media info on these kind of problems.

cloudy
Former Member
Message 16 of 51

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. In my case I have "Problem 2", where I am unable to run scans from the Security Centre. I still have DAT 6807.

I have been through both update steps that the FAQ document recommends, including the cmd one, but neither are working

Mcafee apparently "checks for updates" and then gives me an error message "An error occured". Running the updates in CMD the first time progressed to Downloading Updates 0% before stopping, and the second time nothing happened at all.

I also live in the UK, so am hoping an automatic update will somehow come and fix it all.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 51

Jump to solution

If not then uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool (linked under Useful Links at the top of this page). reboot and reinstall from your online account.

ryohija
Contributor
Message 18 of 51

Jump to solution

I ended up contacting online support, who fixed the problem by running the MCPR tool to remove everything, and then reinstall.  My DAT version showed 6809 once the tech support was completed.  Later yesterday, McAfee performed an automatic update and I received no error messages from that.  So, for now, the Suite is working like it should.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

et_tu_brute
Former Member
Message 19 of 51

Jump to solution

What astonishes me is the complete and absolute lack of communication by McAfee on this issue to the end user... you and me.  I had to google to several times befolre I came across this thread.

The questions I would like to know and anwser to would be this.

1. At what point did McAfee become aware of this issue.

2. It would appear to me that this issue is about 2 days old, however I am on GMT+10 hours, so the issue may probably be older.

3. Why  is it that the moderators in this forum have been fed to the wolves in terms of coming up with a possible fix to this issue? When will McAfee officially enter the forum with an explanation, a fix, and an apology?

4. At what point do McAfee estimate they will have an ACTUAL fix to this issue? I would hate to be a sytems administrator who would be expected to Uninstal McAfee, run the removal tools, then re-install across several machines.... and then test every machine to ensure McAfee is installed & operating correctly.

5. I have dumped McAfee a couple times before over the last decade because of poor performance issues and I won't hesitate to do it again. Life is too short to be McAfee's guinea pig because that neglect to ensure the updates etc. are fully tested before they are released.

Finally, thank you to the moderators for at least trying to man the fort in the absence of McAfee.

Time to call it quits for tonight.  Tomorrow ether pigs will fly or McAfee will have found a workable fix that does't require their old cop-out of uninstall and re-install. That mantra has grown pretty thin by now surely.

cloudy
Former Member
Message 20 of 51

Jump to solution

Thank you, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and it's all fixed I now have 6809 and the scan and updates are working fine.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community