cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xiong
Former Member
Message 661 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Questo errore appare da quando ho installato McAfee Total protection 2010 su 4 Pc, tutti usano Windows Xp Sp3.

La mia ricetta per eliminarlo è la seguente:

Aprire McAfee security center, poi

Home > Firewall > Settings Program permissions

Navigare nella lista dei programmi fino a trovare McAfee Service Host a destra troverte probabilmente la parola Full

Cliccare sulla parola Full (o altrove sulla stessa linea). La linea diventa celeste.

Cliccare su Edit, che appare poco più sotto.

Navigare nella finestrina Access, che appare, e scegliere Outgoing, o addirittura  Block

Save

Questa procedura, a prima vista laboriosa ma in pratica molto semplice, da me ha funzionato: da una decina di volte il famoso messaggio di errore non appare più, e spero che continui a non apparire.

Se qualcuno di voi prova la mia ricetta, per favore fatemi sapere il risultato (specialmente se è negativo).

Grazie

Peacekeeper
Message 662 of 1,143

What the above poster was saying is that you go to firewall Program permissions and block the permission fpor mcsvhost to access net.

It seems XP has this in the permissions in the firewall setting Win 7 does not. My XP box has it but shuts down fine. I would not say that is a fix till you pass 5 days of updates as we have seen several times here with other "fixes".

Sembra  che XP è presente nelle autorizzazioni nel firwall ambiente Win 7 non lo fa. La mia casella di XP  che possiede, ma si chiude bene. Non  direi che è una correzione fino a 5 giorni si passano gli aggiornamenti come  abbiamo visto più volte qui con altre "correzioni".

\

Excuse google

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 14/05/10 8:07:35 AM
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 663 of 1,143

Been having the shutdown error most days since the upgrade. How do I create a ticket? Would also be open to getting the logs needed.

Gene
Former Member
Message 664 of 1,143

You don't have to interact with your computer during shutdown, even if you get the mcsvhost error -- at least not my computer. The message merely delays shutdown. After displaying the error message for several seconds, the computer shuts down.

I don't think it's particularly wise for you or McAfee to minimize this error message or the number of people affected. I did a google search for mcsvhost a couple of days ago and there were 19 pages of matches. I did another search just now and found 22 pages of matches. Many of the matches are found on foreign language sites, including Asian sites. In other words, the problem may be growing, not lessening, and it's hurting McAfee's reputation.

It's not just a matter of a few people who give up on McAfee because of the problem, it's a matter of those people saying negative things about McAfee to their friends, and spreading the word on other forums and the like.

Personally, I simply don't believe there are multiple causes for the problem. I think there's only one cause and McAfee hasn't found it yet. Anything you've found to fix the problem on some machines is more likely specific workarounds. I have serious doubts that mcsvhost has multiple problems, and it's not the computers with the problem since they all ran just fine before the update.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/13/10 7:52:07 PM CDT
Gene
Former Member
Message 665 of 1,143

Nice try, Wetmoref2, but I have a single user machine -- and I have full access with no password.

Peacekeeper
Message 666 of 1,143

Click on useful links above and Technical support and go to chat. You will have to download and run MVT program which will give a serial number after checking your PC to note if asked for. Ask them to note your issue and remote into your PC and grab the logs. They will then email them to Mcafee. They should run the MER program. If they say uninstall reinstall give them a boot from me they should realise by now that that will not fix this issue.It will only go away till next update.

Thanks for the offer.

On another track it was posted back a bit by PCFRIEND to add mcsvhost to DEPexclusion list. Our tech says this will not hurt anything and is a workaround for the present if the message bugs you.

1.. Click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. In the Performance region select Settings
6. Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that  opens
7. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services  except for those I select
8. Click Add.
9. The open dialog box will open.  Browse and select your application.
10. Click Open
11. Click Apply
12. Click Ok
13. Reboot

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 667 of 1,143

As expected , the "solution" was uninstall/reinstall. Being on dialup , that is a 4+ hour process. Based on what others have experienced doing that , it would be a major waste of time.

Message was edited by: jmckee on 5/14/10 2:25:54 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 668 of 1,143

Total waste of time I did it myself on my son in Law's PC it fixed it till the next update. I think I know how to clean up bits and pices as well so the PC was clean of Mcafee before reinstallation. You got a case number you would have been given it when you logged on?

georgieb
Former Member
Message 669 of 1,143

I am curious about the phenomenon whereby this problem, once introduced, occasionally seems to disappear. Have seen this mentioned in several postings here & have myself noted on 3 occasions over the last several weeks that the error “did not” occur on shutdown. All things being equal (have not attempted any fixes or workaround of the issue), does this not seem odd?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 670 of 1,143

drewb,

To correct some misinformation here, this isn't a detection issue. Your point 1 is not related to the issue you're reporting, namely that nothing is detecting mcsvchost as a virus. You have combined two unrelated issues in your point 1.

To address point 2, one of the very likely causes of this issue is a 'race to shutdown'. By this I mean that some OS process is closing down before others can. What this means is you could get this error with any application put in this position; it just happens to be ours this time. We work the issue because, bluntly, it's easier to change a program than an operating system, but the fix to this issue may well mean changes to the OS instead of our app (such as extending times in the registry etc). What this means is that the OS could also be partly responsible, as it's inability to correctly order the shutdown processes and allocate the needed time for each could also be causing this issue. It also means that reinstalling is a good troubleshooting step. When you uninstall the app, restart, and reinstall, it is possible the app will load it's service in a different order, and the issue could be resolved by that. If it doesn't work, than it doesn't wrork, but it's still a good place to start.

There's a lot of heat on this issue, and a lot of attention to resolving it internally. But there's also a lot of misinformation out here. Just trying to help clear it up. To reassure everyone, this issue is not causing anyone to lose data or damaging computers. It's not putting you in an unprotected state. The issue described in this thread is an error at shutdown that a service did not end in a timely fashon, properly, or could not end. Clicking OK and hitting the power button will safely shut the computer down.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community