Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 651 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Nisa, bengaile,

This is not correct. Maybe I can help clear this up. You're talking about 2 different issues. The issue this thread refers to is that some users are getting a mcsvchost error when they shut down their computer. To give you the technical information on this first issue:

• This error causes no damage to your computer, but requires you to interact with your computer during shut down (meaning you have to click ok or hit the power button).
  • This error has multiple causes (it's a fairly generic error message), meaning this is not ONE problem many people are having, but rather one error message that can come up when several different things happens. This makes the issue very hard to pin down, and can be caused by (potentially) a different reason on every computer.
  • We have released updates to fix this error. Each time, some people are fixed and some are not. Then we begin again, investigating some other cause and solution.
  • Despite the large number of people posting to this thread, this accounts for a VERY small percentage of our customers. Most people are not having this issue.
  • 2010 was fully QA'd, then fully beta tested, then released.

The other issue was very different, but involved a similarly named file. The 5958 DAT issue affected the svchost file on Windows XP SP3 computers ONLY.

drewb
Former Member
Message 652 of 1,143

SPyron wrote:

Nisa, bengaile,

This is not correct. Maybe I can help clear this up. You're talking about 2 different issues. The issue this thread refers to is that some users are getting a mcsvchost error when they shut down their computer. To give you the technical information on this first issue:

• This error causes no damage to your computer, but requires you to interact with your computer during shut down (meaning you have to click ok or hit the power button).
  • This error has multiple causes (it's a fairly generic error message), meaning this is not ONE problem many people are having, but rather one error message that can come up when several different things happens. This makes the issue very hard to pin down, and can be caused by (potentially) a different reason on every computer.
  • We have released updates to fix this error. Each time, some people are fixed and some are not. Then we begin again, investigating some other cause and solution.
  • Despite the large number of people posting to this thread, this accounts for a VERY small percentage of our customers. Most people are not having this issue.
  • 2010 was fully QA'd, then fully beta tested, then released.

The other issue was very different, but involved a similarly named file. The 5958 DAT issue affected the svchost file on Windows XP SP3 computers ONLY.

Small percentage?  I disagree.  I have three computers running XP but with different set ups.  All have the mcsvhost error.  All of my friends, 20+ users with Mcafee and XP, have this issue.  Only one does not have the problem.  However, I am the only one who has taken the time to find this issue on your forum and post.

In fact, about 50% have simply removed Mcafee and installed the free version of AVG.  Therefore, dont assume this problem is not widespread.

regards

Drewb

Message was edited by: drewb on 13/05/10 10:17:58 CDT

Message was edited by: drewb on 13/05/10 10:18:24 CDT
bengaile
Former Member
Message 653 of 1,143

Somer;

Thank you for the clarification!   So maybe I should be posting elsewhere in order to get the proper information for my issue.  In the meantime, I'll call technical support again.  But the issue I have had has been very real...just not the "real" for this thread.

Thanks!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 654 of 1,143

Drewb:

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this issue. If you could create a support ticket with us, we could get you escalated, pull files, and possibly resolve the issue for your computers. The issue is, the thing that is causing the problem for you may not be what is causing the problem for one (or all) of your friends who are also affected. So if yours is caused by one thing, and we fix that issue, that will do nothing to resolve the error for another.

Regarding the % of people affected, we have over 30 million home users. If 15 million of them suddenly got this error and moved to AVG it would be on the news. Probably less than 1% are having this specific error message. Now 1% of several million can still be a big number, so we need those people who get support tickets opened and let us try to find out what is causing the problem for them. We need people to troubleshoot with and test with, because this problem didn't happen in our very large test environment.

I'll speak with Steerpike later today and see what logs he needs, then (if you're open to it) I'll send you a private message and we'll get some log files from your computer.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 655 of 1,143

Hmm... maybe that wasn't as helpful as I'd thought it would be.

Ok, are you getting an error with mcsvchost when you shut down? Or is your computer rebooting, or booting to Windows without a taskbar? If you're getting the first issue, this is the right place. If you're getting the 2nd issue, shoot me a private message and I'll help you get to the right place and get you some help!

drewb
Former Member
Message 656 of 1,143

The issue I have on all 3 computers (1 Dell PC, 1 Dell Laptop & 1 Samsung Notebook) is the shutdown error only.

Ok, on its own, not the biggest issue but when you choose Mcafee for all your computers and you get the annoying message on all of them, its a pain.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 657 of 1,143

Reply to Somer Pyron:  I don't care if only one person is having the McSvHost.exe error on shutdown, you (McAfee) needs to get this error fixed.  This isn't about how many people are having the error, its about McAfee getting there act together and getting the problem resolved.  This problem has been going on for way to long for them not to have it fixed by now.  I have taken the time to have two different chat sessions with McAfee customer support and both times was left short with my computer continuing to have the problem.  On the first chat I wonder why they took my time to go thru a complete removal of McAfee and then a clean reload if they knew it wasn't really going to permanently fix the problem.  I got three days of no error and then after some updates from McAfee and a number of reboots it came back.  On the second chat session they told me that they were aware of the problem and were working on it.  If you need more information about my computer and the error to help resolve the problem, then please contact me.  You already have all my contact information from both of my chat sessions.  To sum it all up, this is very frustrating to all of us that are having the problem and are taking the time to try and get it resolved, McAfee needs to step up to the bat and put this on there high priority list and get it fixed.  Thank You!!!

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 658 of 1,143

Thanks Woody,

I have changed my DEP settings this morning, per your instructions.

Ironically, I got the McSvHost error upon shutdown (but of course this was before my reboot, so the new setting had not yet become effective).

I will post back next week, after giving it several days.  As you said, it is certainly easy enough to change the settings back if the error continues. Appreciate your clear and detailed instructions.  Hope this solution works for me as well.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 659 of 1,143

So why is this error only affecting XP? So what is the difference in files/format between Vista, Win 7 to XP ?

I have XP Home Edition with sp3. Browser I always use IE8 I dont switch?

The error appears not always, until recently it has been every day why I dont know. 2 Hours ago I had a software upgrade and had to reboot the pc, is this going to help?

I dont think its the hardware of my pc affecting this, but hey ho.

I have 2 dual core, 3.06 processors. 4 gb ram?

I suppose I have the usual programmes what most have, Abode, Quicktime, Java , Thunderbird?

But I do know one thing for sure, I HAVE MOST DEFINATELY HAD ENOUGH GOING ON 4 MONTHS OF THIS, I WILL NO BE RENEWING MY SUBSCRIPTION.

McAfee IMO have not dealt with this problem strongly enough despite what they have said on this thread. Your Customer and Technical Support is Zero it is the worst I think I have come across, Have been a customer for 4 years, but that will be ex 4 years shortly. I wonder what Trading Standards in UK would say about this.

Message was edited by: Nisa51 on 13/05/10 12:30:20 CDT
drewb
Former Member
Message 660 of 1,143

Nisa,

I suspect Trading Standards would suggest it falls short on the two main aspects of any purchase in the uk under the sale of goods act.

(1) " Not fit for purpose ".  This program has caused some pc's software to self destruct by treating mcsvhose.exe as a virus and deleting it.

(2) " Not Merchantible Quality ".  A software program stated as being compatible with XP should not create an error message, however minor in nature.  It should also not take months to rectify and customer support should be up to date and stop advising customers poorly (i.e. Microsoft problem, reinstall application etc).

drewb

Message was edited by: drewb on 13/05/10 16:17:32 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community