Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 271 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Peacekeeper,

Thanks for the clarification. I've jumped through the hoops today with McAfee support - and refused to let them access my computer to rebuild the wheel that they've already had me rebuild four or five times already (uninstall/reinstall/dump cookies, etc. etc. etc.) - and all to no avail. That got them to escalate me to the next level when I explained it isn't just my two computers, that LOTS of people are complaining about this error and they need to resolve it. We'll see. Supposedly I'll be getting a call sometime today from McAfee, but I must confess that I am losing faith in their willingness/ability to repair the issue and maybe just need to go and buy a different product.

Peacekeeper
Message 272 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

Peacekeeper,

Thanks for the clarification. I've jumped through the hoops today with McAfee support - and refused to let them access my computer to rebuild the wheel that they've already had me rebuild four or five times already (uninstall/reinstall/dump cookies, etc. etc. etc.) - and all to no avail. That got them to escalate me to the next level when I explained it isn't just my two computers, that LOTS of people are complaining about this error and they need to resolve it. We'll see. Supposedly I'll be getting a call sometime today from McAfee, but I must confess that I am losing faith in their willingness/ability to repair the issue and maybe just need to go and buy a different product.

Mate do you have a printer/fax or something similiar attached to your PC or on the network? If so unplug it before yoiu shut down and see what happens.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 273 of 1,143

Yes, I tried that quite some time ago. Didn't make any difference. Error code appeared regardless.

Peacekeeper
Message 274 of 1,143

Ok thanks

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 275 of 1,143

UPDATE:  After reporting this issue (again) to McAfee, I received a phone call today from a representative by the name of Anish. He advised me that this problem is a known issue with McAfee. That they are working on it, and hope to have it resolved within two to three weeks. Once the relevant update is available, we (the frustrated users) will know it has happened when the error no longer pops up at shutdown. So mark your calendars:  two weeks from now is April 25. Three weeks from now is May 2. Cross your fingers and pray for a successful solution!

TEAMSAINT
Former Member
Message 276 of 1,143

I am glad the someone got some information from Mcafee. The tech people told me that something was wrong with my computer. And, I chatted with them multiple times. Just to make sure, are all of you receiving an error at shutdown that says;

McSvHost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x6280436a" referenced memory at "0x08f2562c". The memory could not be "written"

Click on OK to terminate program.

(Note, I do not click on OK..and the computer continues to shutdown).

And, when I boot up, the mcafee shield desktop icon pops up, disappears, then pops up again.

I took a picture of the error message and am attaching it.

Peacekeeper
Message 277 of 1,143

Chat should be aware of the issue and not giving you the runaround. Will get the update in tomorrow's call.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 278 of 1,143

Yep. That's the error code on shutdown. Very clever of you to take a snapshot of it. I never was fast enough to write it all down before it disappeared from view.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 279 of 1,143

The phone call I got was actually the result of an escalation to the next level via the chat technician. He initially wanted to go ahead and do the same old thing:  access my computer, delete this, reinstall that, look at cookies, I suppose, and all the rest of the drill.  So I told the tech no, I would not let him access my computer again, when it should be clear from the 300 messages from people on the forum complaining of the same thing that it wasn't just MY computer with the issue - that it was a problem with the program itself and it needs a patch. At that point, was told that the problem was too complicated for that tech, and that it had to get escalated.

And that then resulted in the phone call from the next level up saying that they knew it was a problem with the program and would take 2 to 3 weeks to fix. It would be good to know what you find out in the call you have with McAfee tomorrow. It is highly unprofessional that McAfee does not inform their chat staff of this issue and it is equally unfair to McAfee customers that they have to be given the runaround when the answer is known.

Peacekeeper
Message 280 of 1,143

This issue is annoying not destructive so as I keep asking please wait it (the fix) is nearly there.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community