cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davideo0
Former Member
Message 911 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

This morning on starting up my MS XP computer, I got the McSvHost.exe error.

In addition, co-incident with the usual password request the following MS notice appeared:

"McAfee Service Host encountered a problem and needed to close"

I have never seen this before nor have I heard of anyone else getting it.

What's going on?

Message was edited by: davideo0 on 7/16/10 1:46:27 AM CDT

Message was edited by: davideo0 on 7/16/10 2:15:51 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 912 of 1,143

Hmm new 1 on me will ask but might I hope be a 1 off...

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 913 of 1,143

So far they're identified 10 different potential causes. This just means they've found 10 things which could cause that service to take too long to close off. When trying to fix this issue for everyone, all 10 of those will have to be tested and resolved.

I can tell you that as recently as this morning I have confirmed that this issue is being checked and double-checked, right down to the code. It will get fixed, it's just a matter of getting the various fixes created and tested as quickly as possible.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 914 of 1,143

Well, upgraded to 10.5.194 and testing.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 915 of 1,143

That's a new on David. I'll be sending you a private message. I'd like for us to get some info off your computer, see what's going on here.

davideo0
Former Member
Message 916 of 1,143

Have replied to your pm.

Message was edited by: davideo0 on 7/16/10 10:17:34 AM CDT
stiklus
Contributor
Message 917 of 1,143

Hmmmm,

I recently moved to McAfee.  One -- and certainly not the most serious -- of the reasons was that I couldn't find a straight answer to a problem I was having at shutdown:  often -- but not always -- the service SVCHOST.exe can't read memory and pops up an error.

Now that I've moved to McAfee, I get an error on shutodow:  often -- but not always -- the service McVsHost.exe can't read memory and pops up an error.

You say tomato, I say tomahto.

Anybody know a reliable product?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 918 of 1,143

Hi Stiklus,

You've brought up an interesting point, that multiple vendors run into this same issue. Unfortunately, while I do know a couple that have this (or similar) issues, I can't be 100% certain that *any* vendor won't have this issue.

stiklus
Contributor
Message 919 of 1,143

Re similar cross-product problems, yup, it's just a fact of life:  the questions was more or less sarcastic and rhetorical.

What I do find interesting is that neither vendor has yet nailed its problem: each prolem is long standing despite what I believe are sincere efforts to correct the situation.

I admit that I haven't read all 67 pages worth of posts (only the first two and the last three), so if this has been mentioned before, please forgive my ignorance.

The real problem with my installation is not that the error occurs on shutdown, but that it also occurs on restarts.  Additionally, it breaks the restart;  the screen looks just like an old DOS screen without a prompt:  all black, with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.  I must physically power the machine down and reboot.  If I'm in the room with the machine, it's inconvenient, but its a workaround.  However, I will soon need to provide remote administration support to some machines in a "lights out" environment.

I'm worried that a lot more light might be needed to get things back up and running.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 920 of 1,143

Well, I'm not a developer, so I can't answer why it hasn't been resolved yet. Because I'm constantly requesting status updates on the issue, I've seen some of the developers testing fixes though, so I know they're working on this issue at top priority.

Yes, in the previous pages we updated everyone with the info that this issue has multiple causes. We've identified 10 at this point (in addition to the 2 or 3 we've already released fixes for). The cause of the error is that a service is not closing in a timely fashion, causing the Windows shutdown to generate the error. The cause of that untimely closing is the issue we're working to resolve.

I also know we have 1 more cause fix in the bag. We were hoping it would be released at the end of June, but it's been held back just a bit for additional testing. On the upside, when it does go out, it's possible we'll have fixes for the other issues to release with it. Either way, each one we find and fix helps another 10-20% of the people affected (less than 1% of users).

Your issue on restart, however, is NOT what we're used to seeing. In fact, I've only had one other person report that to me, and they'd only had the issue once. Are you able to reproduce that? If so, we'd like to get some information from your computer. Better to be proactive with this sort of thing. Send me a private message, if you wouldn't mind, so I can get more detail.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community