cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nsquire
Former Member
Message 1011 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I've got Windows XP, Security Center 189, Firewall 131 (Holland) and have received some patch.

The error is still there. I don't know how to email you privately, but I can't imagine you

want to escalate all the recurring errors privately. Why not distribute a working copy?

Regards

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1012 of 1,143

Gene,

I won't know until we can get a few of you escalated up, but this is the problem with the mcsvchost. Before we put out the update, we'd identified 10 things that could cause that error to show up. We might be looking at thing 11.

Nsquire,

I don't think you have the update yet. Or were you saying to had the pre-update beta patch?

nsquire
Former Member
Message 1013 of 1,143

I'm not sure. I'm not very familiar with these kind of things. I do know I got

a bigger than usual software update yesterday (August 17).

Secondly, it would be a nice gesture from McAfee to postpone the renewal of subscription

while this problem still occurs.

Regards

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1014 of 1,143

nsquire,

You can enable or disable your subscription renewal settings using the steps in this FAQ article:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=CS40021

Regarding the update, it doesn't look like you got it. Your firewal version should be at 135.

There was an unrelated update that went out yesterday, but it was DAT related.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1015 of 1,143

Yes Tony, that is weird. It's possible that a network issue during update could have led to a mixed version, in which case I'd suggest a reinstall, but another update might also resolve it. Haven't seen that with 2010, mostly just with 2009.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 1016 of 1,143

When posting to this thread the last time I told myself that I was not going to bother posting to it again and just let all the geniuses at McAfee work their problems out.  Builds 191 & 131 that I am running now seems to eliminate the McSvHost.exe error most of the times (1 out of every 20 shutdowns) when I turn off my XP computer and I told myself that I can live with that. 

Then back about 30 posts ago I got very excited after reading that they have got the fix and it was being tested and was going to be released to everyone as builds 195 & 135.  I still don't have the 195 & 135 builds that is suppose to eliminate the problem and from what I am reading I am not sure that I want it yet.  I am pretty happy compared to the way the problem used to be before builds 191 & 131 (McSvHost error almost at every shutdown) but was just curious as to why I still don't have the 195 & 135 builds yet?  You said many posts ago that everyone in the US should have the fix within the next couple of days.  I AM IN THE US AND STILL DON'T HAVE IT.  Thank you!

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1017 of 1,143

Hey cburrows,

English-US is by far the largest customer group we have. Since we throttle it out to a percentage of that group each day, then move to the next group the next day, I don't know when you will get the update. I only know that it has been released to your region, others in the US have gotten it, more get it each day, and you will get the update. I recognize that "soon" may not be good enough here, but the only way to skip the throttling is to uninstall/reinstall. New updates will always be available first by uninstall/reinstall so that new users always get the most updated software.

Right now, everyone we tested the update (in beta) on has gotten resolution. We have (unless there have been more I missed) 3 reports in this thread of the error occurring after this update. It's possible we fixed 10 causes, and this is lucky number 11, but we won't know until those are escalated and checked out. The majority of users should be resolved after this update.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 1018 of 1,143

Just an FYI. I am Canada located & just received the update to Security Centre 195 & Firewall 135.  I probably won't comment again unless I fall into this new 11th condition that appears to have surfaced. Will continue to monitor but assume & hope for the best. Thanks for all your efforts.GB

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 1019 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

That was a result of the mod call. They want to figure why you still have it.

Remember Security centre 195 build firewall 135 build is required.

Those are the builds that I have.

rowdy
Former Member
Message 1020 of 1,143

I had the mcsvhost.exe error on shutdown for months. Almost every time on shutdown..

On 07/28 i received the FIX from Peacekeeper and installed it. I have had no further errors.

On 08/11 i received an auto update to Security Center 10.5 build 195 but Firewall is still at 11.5 build 131

just as others here have reported.

I am still not receiving any errors on shutdown.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community