Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1131 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Thanks Peacekeeper,

This was a good try, but...

While this eliminated the MVT error message, it did not have any effect on my inability to update the program.  (DATs remain up to date.)  I guess it's time to reinstall.  One more thing that I failed to mention...  My default browser is Firefox.  I recall that years ago this was an issue with Mcafee, but it has not been (for me) for quite some time, so I assume this would not cause any issues in and of itself.

Peacekeeper
Message 1132 of 1,143

Nah mine is as well ie causing too many security popups with this forum so started using FF 2 mths ago. updated fine

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1133 of 1,143

Patch released to resolve the original mcsvchost issue.

Message was edited by Somer Pyron to update status on the original issue. on 9/24/10 11:33:59 AM CDT
Dazman
Former Member
Message 1134 of 1,143

I appear to have found a fix for this issue on my Windows 7 X64 Ultimate install with the 2010 BT Netprotect verion of Mcafee Antivirus.  I found a reference to a McAfee utility in the Knowledge base for an issue with PCPeople. I figured the issue must be caused by an install issue so I looked for a way to install the driver again.   The solution was to run mfehidin.exe to install MFEHIDK.sys from the command line with the command "mfehidin.exe -i mfehidk.sys".  mfehidin.exe resides in my c:\program files\common files\mcafee\vscore directory along with the MFEHIDK. inf, cat and sys files so you have to change directory on the command line to "cd c:\program files\common files\mcafee\vscore and then run the mfehidin.exe -i mfehidk.sys command.  For other operating systems it may be in another place so you will have to search your McAfee program file directories to be sure.  Then type "mfehidin.exe -i mfehidk.sys" (no quotes) into the command line and press enter.  An alternative method that might work would be to right click on mfehidk.inf and select install from the popup window. This should install the driver again using the security catalog information contained in mfehidk.cat which is where I think McAfee got the install process wrong as it does not appear to register the security catalog details when installing the driver.  After I did this I got a windows automatic certificate update for a Digicert SSL Certificate but I do not know if this was related.  I have not got this error since doing this.  Of course you mileage may vary!  Good luck and let me know if it works for you.  Daz.

Peacekeeper
Message 1135 of 1,143

That was an old old faq back in 2007 Where you having the mcsvhost memory error on shutdown If so it only happened on XP so if you were getting this on win 7 that is strange.

Will let Somer comment re that but why do you have to do this the fix was out 2 mths ago nearly. Can you post the security centre build and firewall build number as well as your affid.

BTW so BT supplies your mcafee  wondering if your version was not updated.

on 8/11/10 6:33:13 AM
davideo0
Former Member
Message 1136 of 1,143

After a couple of months of error free operating, on 7th November the McAfee program updated the Security Centre to Ver 10.5.216.

Three days later, ie 10th Nov I again got the dreaded Svchost.exe -application error - on Start Up!

Which appeared co-incident with log-in procedure.

Yesterday there was no error- I just hope this is not the start of another episode of the same problem.

svchost error.jpg

Peacekeeper
Message 1137 of 1,143

Svhost or mcsvhost?????

I got that 1 time never again as did another in this thread after he manual;ly fixed the issue when we gave him the two files to replace. I hear that never happened again. Please keep us appraised...

davideo0
Former Member
Message 1138 of 1,143

Re: SvHost.exe causes error on Start Up

The error was "Svhost.exe - application error"

Sorry, I should have altered the reference.

I'll let you know if it happens again.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 1139 of 1,143

In the Windows operating systems, svchost.exe is a process and its associated image (executable file) for hosting services. These services are contained within dynamically-linked libraries (DLLs).

davideo0 - To be more clear svchost error is entirely different from the Mcsvhost issue

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 10/11/10 10:12:15 PM IST
davideo0
Former Member
Message 1140 of 1,143

Thank you Aldrin for the information - I guess McAfee cannot be blamed for everything then.

Just as a FYI, I have restarted several times since my report and there were no recurrences of the error.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community