cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 1121 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Not as far as I see Just disable real time scanning and firewall and email protection. What is possible is the programs are still loaded so might not make any difference. You might have to unload the services and reboot shutdown reboot then reload services. I would uninstall ok takes 20 minutes to reinstall but what else have we got to do .

Will ask the techs

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1122 of 1,143

Can you tell me if the updates to resolve this issue are still being  "throttled"?

I am on XP Pro SP3, and in the US.

Security Center was last updated on 7/8 and is ver 10.5.194

DATs are up to date.

Firewall last updated on 6/28 and is ver 11.5.131

Product was purchased retail, and AffId shows as 0-908

Very frustrating,...

I still receive frequent errors on shutdown, and I still need to manually  update, as the automatic update does not work for me (being that this is a  laptop that is rarely, if ever, on if when not in use).

I am reluctant to uninstall and reinstall, as in the past I have found that this wipes out  all my saved firewall settings.

Additionally, for the past few days, if my DATs are up to date, and I click on update,  rather than get a message that MacAfee is up to date, I get "An error occurred"  message shortly after it starts the download.  If I try again after new DATs are  available, they get updated with no problems.

Thank you

Peacekeeper
Message 1123 of 1,143

Who do you get mcafee from I do not recognise the affid but will ask, If you get it from say an ISP they hold back updated/upgrades till they test them so the fix could be blocked till they are ready. this out of Mcafee's hands. With those errors I would be very tempted to bite the bullet and uninstall reinstall using the removal tool MCPR (useful links tab above)

I do think the supplier might be your reason no 195/135 update.

Will ask as well

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1124 of 1,143

As I mentioned, it was a retail boxed version from  an online electronics store.  I believe that they do have actual physical stores as  well.

The installation disk did not appear to contain the  entire program, but rather caused the computer to download it, I assume from  Mcafee.

The Dell laptop did originally come with Mcafee  preinstalled, but that version was uninstalled years ago, and only the retail  version of MTP 2010 is currently installed.  I think that you may be right about me needing to just bite the bullet.  Would love to first know for certain whether this is, in fact, the problem.  There is no way to preserve my MPF settings upon reinstall is there?   Thanks.

Acela
Former Member
Message 1125 of 1,143

Hi Phil. I live in the US and run Windows XP SP3 on a Dell laptop.

I have had all of the issues you describe. McAfee came preinstalled on my laptop, and after the original subscription to McAfee expired, I renewed it annually. Up until recently, I have never had significant problems with McAfee. But after a major update of my security center in early August, the issues appeared. I have spent too many hours of my personal time trying to resolve the issues. Yesterday I went to a computer repair store that I have used in the past. I had planned on uninstalling McAfee and then reinstalling McAfee from the McAfee/Dell website with the update that corrects the problem.

However, after speaking with the store personnel, I had them download a 30 day trial of Vipre antivirus software - good protection and easier to use on a dial up connection. If I find I am comfortable with the interface, I will purchase a one year subscription.

Peacekeeper
Message 1126 of 1,143

Ok two things the affid will not cause you to be held back as it is a reseller 1 not a partner. I would do

1. Download and run MVT from here http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS  and see if it finds any issue

2. There is no way to save the settings I would download MCPR removal tool and run it following steps mentioned there. Reboot and reinstall your product.

Re going elsewhere as suggested that is your perogative but you should try above first and even try the chat option in the MVT link above. Your versions are not too far back it is the error message that worries me more.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1127 of 1,143

Thank you.  I will try what you have suggested.  I have been using Mcafee products for ten years now, and while I appreciate Acela taking the time to respond, I was not looking for alternatives.  Just trying to get it sorted out.  I was not sure that I followed what you were saying about a reseller versus a partner.  Is one preferable to the other in terms of the product being updated?  As far as the error, it is very odd.  If there is a newer DAT available, I do not get the error and it updates fine.  I only get the error if I attempt to update, but there are no newer DATs found.  It's only a minor annoyance to reinstall.  I keep my firewall on a very restrictive setting, thus there tends to be a lot of tweaking required during the first few days.
Peacekeeper
Message 1128 of 1,143

1st you should not get the error mesage

2nd you really should by not be at 195/135 versions in fact big update coming Thursday in aussie server.

3nd try what I suggested also partner versions do their own QA a lot and hold up updates that is what I meant .

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 1129 of 1,143

Ran MVT...

Results:      Expected File not Present

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe

Possible to simply get a copy of the missing file rather than to uninstall & reinstall?

Message was edited by: PhilF on 9/22/10 6:45:54 AM EDT
Peacekeeper
Message 1130 of 1,143

OK I have xp on my test PC but

All mine versions are updated will have a look at my file

Sent you my xp copy take care should be ok though maybe rerun MVT

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/09/10 9:11:28 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community