cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajmitch
Former Member
Message 1081 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Maybe like you said before.  It will probably need an uninstall and download afresh to change it.  As mine's working fine as it is, I think I'll leave it like that.

Peacekeeper
Message 1082 of 1,143

Mcafee has a way to force updates but will not work on XP it seems the folder needed is not there.

Ageed mine got the manual fix installed as well maybe that affects updating so I will give it a few more days then do a reinstall to see what I get. that is why I got the test box

georgieb
Former Member
Message 1083 of 1,143

Just as an FYI,. wanted to confirm that my experience appears to match your statement. I reported previously that I updated to the fix with SC 195 & FW 135 on 17/8 & was fine for "3 days" then error reoccurred on 20/8 at shutdown (had received "update" of Scan Engine & Site Advisor on that same date). Since then (17 days later & 34 shutdowns) , there has "not" been a repeat of the error; the only updates since that time have been on the DAT file. If this pattern is common for those of us who have experienced the error after the fix, I hope it is providing some insight for the techs. GB

Peacekeeper
Message 1084 of 1,143

Thanks seems the engine update might need reloading to recognise the fix will mention this next call

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/09/10 6:26:46 PM
dpmalson
Former Member
Message 1085 of 1,143

I have been following this post since I received the 2010 update of McAfee Total Protection and I’m glad that McAfee have finally fixed the MvSvhost error, but for me (and judging by a lot of the comments across this site, for a lot of other customers) it’s too little too late.

I have been in contact with McAfee support to resolve some of the issues introduced by the update, and found the whole experience tiresome, invasive and with very little resolution to problems.

I take computer security and performance seriously; I recently ran some simple tests to see how McAfee impairs the performance of my machine, locked applications with false positives, and flooded virtual memory, it became apparent that absolutely no testing took place on XP for the 2010 update.

For this reason I have uninstalled Total Protection (Check the uninstall instructions), and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, (Check some of the independent reviews which compare all of the AV packages) and turned off my auto-renewal (You will need to email support to request this),

So goodbye McAfee, I now have my PC back running at top speed, applications not being locked, virtual memory ¼ the size, and a free AV application.

Thank you for the good years. Dom

Peacekeeper
Message 1086 of 1,143

Ok that is your right to do. Mcafee has taken a while with this but it was harder than expected as 1 fix caused other issues. It is fixed and should be working its way to users by now. Another fix the mcshield and mcagent issue fix is released to AU servers and I got this 1 today.

I reinstalled my XP test install and now firewall is showing 135.

rowdy
Former Member
Message 1087 of 1,143

I installed the manual fix back in July and have had no more shutdown errors.

However, though my security center updated to 195 my firewall would not

update on it's own no matter what i tried it remained at 131. I finally decided

to remove the manual fix from one of the two machines i was running it on

and did a manul update that updated the firewall to 135. So far so good.

Steps i took to get my firewall to update.

Turned Off Access Protection.

I renamed the manual fix files to something else.

I renamed the original files that were replaced during the manual fix back to their original names.

I restarted.

I turned Access Protection back ON.

I did a manual update and the firewall went from 131 to 135.

That was a lot easier than reloading the entire thing.

Peacekeeper
Message 1088 of 1,143

That is what I saw as well the manual fix stops firewall from updating to 135.

I did it the hard way I uninstalled reinstalled as the box is a test box . Everything updated as well as getting the mcshield/mcagent fix. Mcafee is finally getting their bigger issues fixed which is good.

Mullie
Former Member
Message 1089 of 1,143

I also put in  the manual fix and have not yet updated at all, so do you presume the manual fix blocks future updates some fix

Peacekeeper
Message 1090 of 1,143

Manual fix would/could block the update that changed the files I understand that but a new update to firewall say 138 would update without issue.

Oh the 138 was just me saying that there is no 138 build yet.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community