cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 971 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Somewhere in this absurdly long discussion is my post in which I quote the error message [including the number of the referenced memory], it is abhorent that McAfee [which is in receipt of error logs and run logs from it's users] can't correct a particular task during the shut down [updating registry] process!

This error has never ocurred on the PC, which has only one user. However, it is often ocurring on the notebook, which has multiple users. I noticed in the last few weeks it will ocurr for days after McAfee updates have been loaded. And, as I noted in my early post, it has always ocurred when the limited user has shutdown. Rarely will it ocurr when I shutdown, unless an update has been loaded.

As a matter of fact, an update doesn't even have to load. Every week I run a manual scan before which I run a manual update. I'm always surprised by the need to reset so many of my preferences! It would seem [something I also posted about] McAfee doesn't like to 'see' things changed from it's expected [default] condition. I find the "default" conditions especially lax -- honestly, in the firewall settings why is the default for the "attact detections" 'NO'!?! Never mind, why is there even an option to ignore [not detect] an attack?!

Which has brought me back to my "copy & paste" programming theory. They just stick things on or in and call it an upgrade. They don't take the time to create conditional instructions and exceptional instructions. This error is certainly caused by an unexpected condition which is ocurring during a shutdown instruction, the instruction hasn't been written with an exception instruction. The log no doubt is simply reporting 'failed to run' or 'failed'.

As for this alleged 'fix'... been several days, had updates "automatically" loaded more than once -- yet, still the error is ocurring. Even loaded the updates "manually" -- same result.

This error [and others] will persist so long as copy & paste programming is allowed.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 972 of 1,143

Well that was a waste of time I got the update on the software today to Build 10.5 Version 10.5.194 and straight away the error message on shut down is still there

Woodeye
Former Member
Message 973 of 1,143

That is kind of a 'poke' in the eye, let me tell ya "I know."

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 974 of 1,143

Noone said it was in the next update...it is slowly being released to the different servers all over the world.  It could take up to two weeks to reach everyone, or maybe longer.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 975 of 1,143

Ex-Brit is correct, this is a phased update. With the number of people running this product (tens of millions), it's not a good idea to send it to everyone at once. The end result would be failed updates. So we "throttle" it out to a percentage at a time continuously, until it's gotten to everyone.

Several times it's been suggested to uninstall/reinstall. That's because usually when we setup a phased update like this, NEW installs will get it immediately (since it's a lower number). That means that if you were to install now, you should get the new update. I'll be double-checking this though, just to be sure.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 976 of 1,143

Hi All,

Looking forward to the update.

Bit off topic here, though it is normal for Mcafee processes in Task Manager to be using quite a high % of my memory???

mcshield is using: 68,000 K

svchost is using: 27,000 K

McSvhost is using: 22,000 K

is this usual???

As my "preformance tab" is showing my pc is using 1.5GB, and my pc is just idle... seems to build up to this amount of used memory during time... my pc has only got 2GB total.

Running xp pro sp3.

Thanks.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 977 of 1,143

So what is the build and version number of the update with the fix in it please

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 978 of 1,143

Mezzy,

It sounds like you might be seeing another emerging issue we've got going on, high memory usage in McShield.

If you sent your email client to check for new messages every 10-15 minutes instead of 30 seconds - 1 minute, that will help a lot. Otherwise, you'll need to reboot.

I've already got developers working on the issue, but no fix yet.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 979 of 1,143

Hi Somer.

I only use outlook Express, and it is set to every 30 seconds... but i do not usually leave the program open, so does Mcshield still scan / or do whatever when the program is closed?

Also, when you click login on the community / forums, when I enter my username and password, it comes up another page asking me to type it in again??

is this another issue?

think someone else commented on this a whiel ago.

Mezzy

Peacekeeper
Message 980 of 1,143

I did say SC 195 build and Firewall 135 not SC of 194.

Our tech got the update today and he is in canada

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community