cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drewb
Former Member
Message 821 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Ok, so based on your last post, my current understanding is that Mcafee have still not resolved the issue.

In previous posts, I misunderstood.  It seemed a fix was ready but not being released until end of month.

Thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 822 of 1,143

That was what we were told and the tech who looks after us was told but they have found another cause so will not issue a part fixed "fix".

This is the no 1 issue mcafee has on its books but again the issue is more an annoyance rather than a data destroyer /PC messed up type so please be patient.( I know been that but there is nothing more I can do sorry)

My XP test PC is not getting it as I have not seen it in 12 boots/shutdowns and total of 3 in 38 shutdowns show it.

saab900
Contributor
Message 823 of 1,143

Hi Folks,

As been said before there have been two issues, one connected with the update on Wed 21 April 2010 and one with the closedown message.

The update screwed my pc but McAfee have requested my receipt to cover the cost of returning it to working status again (which wasn't very much at all) and they have already extended my McAfee cover to 2012.

Once I am reimbursed the costs, I'll be perfectly happy with that.  I'm not into who to blame and who to sue culture.

The closedown error - maybe I've missed something but it doesn't actually do any harm does it?  It's a pain the the backside more than anything else.  As an ex goverment programmer, sometimes it can be a real pain to locate a problem with coding, especially when there appear to be several causes behind it.  It is quite correct to hold back on a fix till ALL of it is sorted.  Otherwise people will only moan that not all issues have been resolved.  Also performing Quality Checks can be very time consuming, if done properly.

I haven't put much on this thread because it seemed pointless - just needed to wait until McAfee have it sorted.

Additionally, my thanks to Peacekeeper and gang for helping and trying to ensure we are all updated as best as possible - it is appreciated.

drewb
Former Member
Message 824 of 1,143

I only have the problem on my laptop now as I switched provider when sub expired on other machines.

I get the message 19 times out of 20 on shutdown.

It might only be an annoyance but I will not renew my sub while this issue continues.

Thanks for the update.

Jchatta
Former Member
Message 825 of 1,143

I am always getting problem with my browser, which giving immediate shutdown to all my web activities and a lost of all session was opened......I wondered if anything wrong I am doing or do to the McSvHost.exe and can I do about it....

Peacekeeper
Message 826 of 1,143

Sorry is yours different as the issue we are talking about here is on shutdown a popup appears for 10 seconds and then goes away. It has no effect on the PC or data. Can you enlarge on what is your issue please.

Try resetting browser to default. IE has this option

Peacekeeper
Message 827 of 1,143

The fix we were informed was to be released at end of June. We were not told that it was actually not ready but assumed it would be soon.

LyndyLou
Contributor
Message 828 of 1,143

Hi, I still get this error message since the DAT 5958 update too.  I've been able to ignore it as the popup was disappearing after 10 seconds or so, but the last few times at shutdown it seems to hang for a lot longer and I need to click it before it disappears.  This really is very annoying.  Is McAfee offering any compensation for this inconvenience?

Many thanks, LyndyLou

Geode
Former Member
Message 829 of 1,143

I hope the updates will include the ability to regain control of our desktops and menus in XP.  The shortcut icon (which takes a reg-hack or a patch) to get rid of, and the re-creation of the McAfee folder in the "start menu" are MUCH MORE AGRAVATING than this stupid message on shutdown (though I imagine it would be more annoying for someone using a notebook and they had to wait on it each time).

This is the only program I have encountered since Windows95 that has created shortcuts and start menus that cannot be customized or removed.  I would not be surprised if this violated Microsoft Development Agreements and would jeopardize the coveted "Windows Compatible" certification.

It is such a fundamental concept (customization), that I doubt anyone even tested to make sure it worked.

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 830 of 1,143

After the last update (version 10.5.178), few days ago, my 2 PC have no longer suffered this shutdown problem.

I hope this means that the problem has been fixed!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community