Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cburrows
Former Member
Message 681 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Suggestion to all -

Go to Auto-Renewal in your account and make sure you turn it off.  This gets the attention of McAfee and they will send you an email saying you should leave it turned on or you will have to renew your subscription manually.  Maybe if enough subscribers do this they will get the message that people are unhappy and have a problem with there product.  I turned mine off and received the email the same day with detailed instructions on how to turn it back on.  If only we could get that kind of attention with the McSvHost.exe error!

drewb
Former Member
Message 682 of 1,143

I think to blame the OS is a disgrace and infuriating. XP is a well established version of Windows and Mcafee products have run on this platform for many years without this issue.   I think this attempt to deflect blame has irritated a number of affected users following this thread.

In addition, to suggest that other software will also have this problem is a joke.  Its a bit like going to a Ford garage and saying that your engine has a problem, only to be "reassured" that all car manufacturers have engine problems.  Oh, its probably your driving style thats to blame, our engineering is flawless.

Mcafee need to take ownership of the problem by (1) accepting 100% responsibility (2) offering a set date for resolution.  If the date for resolution is missed, a full refund should be offered to all customers without restriction.

I have so much respect for some of the technical helpers on this forum (Peacekeeper, Ex_Brit, etc) who have tried to help at their own personal cost in time and money and taken some flak from angry end users in the process

If Mcafee had an ounce of their drive to find a fix, we would not be talking about the shutdown error any longer!

Message was edited by: drewb on 15/05/10 09:30:06 CDT
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 683 of 1,143

Pity you cannot do it yourself, still have to email or chat to McAfee,. anyway I sent an email in to turn it off

ridgerunner
Contributor
Message 684 of 1,143

I found this community after installing MTP 2010 and experiencing the shutdown error everyone is talking about.  I have run McAfee for quite a few years now and have not experienced any major problems.  I hope this is not the beginning of headaches.  I am running XP SP3 and not likely to change to Windows 7 anytime soon.  I would like to mention that before switching to McAfee I had been using Norton and had major problems with my system hanging on shutdown.  My Windows account was damaged so badly I had to re-install my system and applications.  As a precaution, I began to always log off before shutting down.  I am not certain this is going to be a helpful practice, now, since the error seems to pop up when I am attempting to log off.  I look forward to a resolution to this problem from McAfee.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 685 of 1,143

You can turn off Auto-Renewal yourself without a phone call.  Just right click on your McAfee icon and select "open McAfee Internet security".  Click on "Subscription" at top of page. Click on my account, this will open a browser to log into your account (if you don't have an account, you will have to register to get one).  After logging in click on "Auto-Renewal Settings" near the bottom of the page.   You now have the option of turning Auto- Renewal on or off.  Ignore the annoying video trying to get you to keep it turned on and click to turn it off.  That's it, now after logging out you can expect an email shortly trying to get you to turn it back on.

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/15/10 11:01:43 AM CDT
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 686 of 1,143

cburrows wrote:

You can turn off Auto-Renewal yourself without a phone call.  Just right click on your McAfee icon and select "open McAfee Internet security".  Click on "Subscription" at top of page. Click on my account, this will open a browser to log into your account (if you don't have an account, you will have to register to get one).  After logging in click on "Auto-Renewal Settings" near the bottom of the page.   You now have the option of turning Auto- Renewal on or off.  Ignore the annoying video trying to get you to keep it turned on and click to turn it off.  That's it, now after logging out you can expect an email shortly trying to get you to turn it back on.

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/15/10 11:01:43 AM CDT

Unfortunately I cannot see where to turn the auto-renewal off! I have logged in and gone to My Account, Clicked on the Auto-Renewal Settings, I have the video at the top of the screen and this below it,

Auto-Renewal automatically renews your subscription 30 days before it expires to ensure that your protection is never interrupted. Learn More

You can turn Auto-Renewal on for the subscriptions listed on this page.

McAfee recommends that you keep Auto-Renewal on so that you’re never without protection. If you want to turn Auto-Renewal off, contact Customer Service

I dont see no where to turn it off only to contact Customer Service. perhaps mcAfee have now stopped this!!!!

cburrows
Former Member
Message 687 of 1,143

Reply to Nisa51 - I don't know why you are having the problem not being able to turn Auto-Renewal off,  I just went back into my account and it is as I told you except mine now has only the option to turn it back on (see snapshot in attachment).  I will not turn it back on in case good old McAfee has made some changes not allowing people to turn Auto-Renewal off.  Has any body else had the problem of not being able to shut Auto-Renewal off???

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 688 of 1,143

cburrows wrote:

Reply to Nisa51 - I don't know why you are having the problem not being able to turn Auto-Renewal off,  I just went back into my account and it is as I told you except mine now has only the option to turn it back on (see snapshot in attachment).  I will not turn it back on in case good old McAfee has made some changes not allowing people to turn Auto-Renewal off.  Has any body else had the problem of not being able to shut Auto-Renewal off???

I think McAfee must have turned that feature off now cburrows. damnation!!!

Mullie
Former Member
Message 689 of 1,143

Not a problem

I had to have windows completly reinstalled at a shop after  McAfee first trashed my laptop I then put on basic programs and get the shutdown problem,

If McAfee cannot replecate this just SEND ME A NEW LAPTOP and you can have my old laptop with the problem

also I believe that you are paying out for repairs in the USA when will you start in Europe ?????

saab900
Contributor
Message 690 of 1,143

Hi All,

Mullie - I had similar problem with my desktop - had to get windows reloaded.  I was getting the closedown message afterwards but haven't had it for over a week now.

When the gentleman from McAfee contacted me, he said to keep an eye on the website for instructions for claiming.  I have already put a claim several days ago and I'm in the UK.

Even so I did get an email from McAfee a couple of days ago to apply for a refund.

Also regarding this auto-renewal, I have it switched off but I can see it still, so no idea why others cant.

Regards to all

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community