cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 611 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I have had the shutdown error almost daily ever since the 2010 version was downloaded to my system. There have been periods when it did not occur several reboots , but it keeps coming back. I would try the uninstall & reinstall approach , but being on dialup (can't get broadband) , that would be several hours. McAfee needs to trace the error and fix it as it is obviously their issue. Seems the constant in this is running the new version on an XP machine.

Peacekeeper
Message 612 of 1,143

Yep 2010 on an XP PC but not all XP pcs. Will sit and compare installed programs between my daughter's PC and My SIL's. I will then will post the differences and see if you all have any of the programs installed.

olf-art
Former Member
Message 613 of 1,143

Mods please remove . Was trying to display a list of programs installed on my machine...dont know how to achieve this.

Message was edited by: olf-art on 5/11/10 2:55:48 AM CDT
daydreamer
Contributor
Message 614 of 1,143

I have had this problem since the new version was released.

and even after doing a factory restore on my computer [because of the dat problem]   will still get it on odd

occasions.

This is after taking my machine back to the day I got it with no other version of Mcafee installed and

was downloaded/installed from my account.

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 615 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Yep 2010 on an XP PC but not all XP pcs. Will sit and compare installed programs between my daughter's PC and My SIL's. I will then will post the differences and see if you all have any of the programs installed.

I have done thorough investingation (more than 5 times) for the problem to occur on XP machines.It will haapen on all XP machines.It will not happen when you install 2010 afresh(clean install) & don't do automatic updates of Mcafee.If your

updates are auto error shows up after about 5 days.It does not happen in win2000 as it will download only 2009 version.This has nothing to do with any other programs installed on XP machine.The fundamental issue here is McSvhost.exe is

newly introduced which replicates as svchost.exe of XP.Technically XP being an OS does not permit Mcsvhost.exe to function independently as svchost.exe which has the full permissions to start & stop services while Mcsvhost wants to act

independently of the OS,hence the error.This might not be the case for vista or windows7 as the acrchitecture of these OS are different as it presents only the front end of the OS to the user & the core OS files are not accesible to the

programs to install or start or stop their service.So Mcsvchost does not have to seek permisssion of core OS to stop service in case of vista or win7.

Now there is way to make this error not to show up in XP(the reason for why on some xp's it showsup).If you don't want this error to show up all you have to do is to go to

1. Click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Select System
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. In the Performance region select Settings
6. Click the Data Execute tab in the dialog box that opens
7. Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select
8. Click Add.
9. The open dialog box will open.  Browse and select your application.
10. Click Open
11. Click Apply
12. Click Ok
13. Reboot

So if anyone has already turnedoff the DEP then the error won't show up.BY TURNING OFF DEP PL REMBER YOU ARE ONLY HIDING THE ERROR,BUT THIS IS NOT SOLUTION TO FIX THE ERROR.

let me assure you that Mcafee tech support,community forum etc etc are not the ones to fix this problem,as I have told 100 times it has to be fixed by the developer who unfortunately is secured & is not exposed to the forum or customers.The buck is stopping at this forum & at its moderators(though they have informed thier observations to Mcafee team).

They don't even give a justification as to why they can't roll back XP users to 2009 version until a fix is found(you know why they don't want ot roll back - Ego & Prestige issue of Mcafee & or they are pushing this issue till June-July to say that they won't support XP as Microsoft will also be stopping support for XP after July2010)

Due to this negiligent attitude of Mcafee I have installed 3rd party program for 2 machines now & is working fine.As I had mentioned in my earlier post if they don't respond positively by this week end I am going roll over to the 3 rd party for all other 5 more machines for sure.We can't be bogged down by the one way traffic attitude of Macfee any more & all the sutomers have their own other important issues to deal with,right?

Peacekeeper
Message 616 of 1,143

Asked someone from Mcafee to answer you. I still cannot get my new XP box to error this aftyer 4 days of updates though not on much will run it longer.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 617 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown - HERE IS THE ANSWER

Just want to keep everyone updated, this is day three without the McSvHost.exe error on shutdown coming back.  I had one McAfee automatic update earlier today and rebooted my computer this evening to see if the error had come back, it didn't.  Looks like Antony from McAfee may have knew what he was doing.  I think it may have been his complete removal of all traces of McAfee from my computer before the reinstall that may have been the answer.  I am keeping my fingers crossed anyway and will continue to keep you all informed if the error returns.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 618 of 1,143

The problem with running McAfee Net Clean {which is likely what the live technician did} is that you then have to reload your purchased McAfee product. You haven't mentioned having to pay for the live tech; so, I'm assuming you purchased McAfee's internet security product within the last twelve months. I'm not paying for support which should come with my renewed license! Especially when the cost of license renewal is the exact same cost as purchasing the product at retail... though in my area I could have picked up the 3-license 2010 version for much less than the $89 McAfee charged me! I digress. If I run the McAfee Net Clean, then download the 2009 McAfee product I purchased, McAfee will update the product as it did recently -- Viola - errors!

Let's not overlook, McAfee wrote their Net Clean software -- so why isn't that code included with all upgrade script?!

Too many software writers cheat their way through the script by failing to consider user changes to the default settings and placements. I believe their awareness of this type of memory write problem [being related to a failure of the installation to remove older remnants] is why the 2010 upgrade has included script preventing the movement or deletion of some of the McAfee shortcuts.

Peacekeeper
Message 619 of 1,143

By Mcafee net clean do you mean their  MCPR removal tool?

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 620 of 1,143

Going back to February and I did a malwarebytes scan I did have this.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

These are still in my Quarantined section. Does this has an affect on this error message on shutdown, I still have it the error message but as before not everytime and sometimes can go 4 or 5 days befire it appears again. And should these be taken out of Quarantine.

Also what is the error Fault Bucket mean application hang for McAfee, which sometimes appears on the Event Viewer.??

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community