cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cranheim
Former Member
Message 591 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I started getting the McSvHost application error after the last major auto-update that changed the way McAfee looks to the users. Certainly, McAfee has to recogize the fact their new program update has problems based on the fact so many reported the problem. If they refuse to acknowledge they have a problem, and do not resolve it quickly, I will have to join the many others that are leaving McAfee. I hope MCAfee looks at the problems reported on this forum.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 592 of 1,143

carla13,

Re GUI display. McAfee uses modules from Internet Explorer for display purposes and your problem is most likely linked to this. Go to IE tools>internet options>general tab>accessibility and make sure the "ignore" options are not checked. Also look at the "colors" option to the left of accessibility and make sure no strange settings exist. This navigation is correct for IE 8, but from memory, I think it was the same for previous versions. You may need to restart your machine for McAfee to pick up the new settings.

systemind
Former Member
Message 593 of 1,143

Folks,

I had a pop up windows showing to upgrade McAfee Virus Scan Plus. I though it’s a fix for this problem from McAfee. Therefore I click on upgrade icon. After the upgrade process the system restarted and every thing is freeze. Then I look at task manager the CPU utilization is about 3 to 5 %. I think some tasks are interlocking each other. Then I decide to roll back to system before McAfee upgrade, every thing went back normally. I will like to find out the upgrade is it come from McAfee or other form of malware. Please advice.

Peacekeeper
Message 594 of 1,143

What builds are you showing for security centre and virusscan and firewall?

systemind
Former Member
Message 595 of 1,143

The build version no is 2.0.181

systemind
Former Member
Message 596 of 1,143

I attached the program for the upgarde for your investigation.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/05/10 2:46:48 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 597 of 1,143

2.0.181 what is this for not a VS version or build number. By the way do not post exe files I will remove it as doing so is considered unsafe. I have a copy though.

OK you installed an adobe product recently did you not? This is an annoying program that Mcafee adds to push you to buy Mcafee. It should not install if you had Mcafee so go to add/remove programs and remove Mcafee security scan if it is installed.

Not malware just a marketing tool.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/05/10 2:50:21 PM
Gene
Former Member
Message 598 of 1,143

I have a subscription, so VirusScan was updated automatically and I started getting the mcsvhost error. I've been following this thread since February, expecting McAfee would quickly have a fix.

It has reached the point of ridiculousness. No help has been forthcoming. Some of the most obnoxious posts are the defensive ones by Ex_Brit, who seems to think McAfee hasn't been given enough time to fix a problem only experienced by a "small number" of users.

I don't think Ex_Brit or McAfee have any idea how many people are affected by this problem. This thread is very long, but many users (like myself) have not reported it. Others don't know about this forum. Do a Google search on mcsvhost and you'll get about 20 pages of matches where people are discussing this problem. And, of course, that doesn't include those who haven't associated the error with McAfee, or have merely uninstalled and moved to another product (which I have seriously considered).

I'm out of patience. McAfee should treat us as valuable customers, not useless complainers. I've been a subscriber for many years, but this may be the last year unless the error is fixed soon.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/9/10 6:28:35 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/9/10 6:31:26 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 599 of 1,143

I'm sorry you have that impression but it couldn't be farther from the truth.  We volunteers are extremely frustrated by the fact that we can't help you people any more than  we have already.  All we can do is relay your problems to McAfee and point you to any solutions or possible remedies that we discover or are given by them.

I hardly think that stating McAfee are aware of the issue or any other statement I've made is "obnoxious" but then I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

That said, I'm withdrawing myself from this thread as obviously you don't appreciate our efforts.

Good luck.

Gene
Former Member
Message 600 of 1,143

Sorry, but you did defend McAfee in recent posts, and I don't consider 3 months of ignoring a complaint from multiple customers as defensible. If McAfee's programmers can't find a problem first reported here on Feb 16, they're not trying hard enough or they're incompetent.

I'm frustrated and angry. McAfee sells products that are supposed to prevent problems, not cause them.

I still haven't forgotten an incident a couple or 3 years ago when a McAfee update brought people's computers to a crawl. The temporary solution was to disable live virus scanning, but at least they fixed the problem within a week or so.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/9/10 8:52:56 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community