cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 581 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

The error about which I created this topic is related to a "memory write" not the recent "pirate code" included with the McAfee data update that caused computers to cease to function.

I avoided that problem by disabling "automatic" updates. However, I administer three other computers (all of which have McAfee protection with automatic updating) and they were effected, each to a different degree.

One of the computers is so old (having little RAM and slow CPU) it can only run a seven year old version of McAfee -- so no updates actually run.

The second computer doesn't have full-time Internet access; so, I was able to keep it off-line until McAfee corrected the pirated update.

The third computer, like the first, had the minimum RAM and CPU requirement for the McAfee upgrade which was being loaded automatically along with the pirated code. This system was reacting so slowly it actually took several days for the pirate code to create any havoc on the machine. Because I actually own the software [that is I don't buy my computers from Staples, Best Buy, Dell or the like] as well as the hardware, all I had to do was format the drive and reload the software. And, as it's Mother's Day this month, I decided I'd go ahead and upgrade the CPU and RAM as well.

Course, now my Aunts expect upgrades too!

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 582 of 1,143

The write error at shutdown is still ocurring, though most often only when my limited users shut down.

Incidentally, and unrelated (possibly), the McAfee folder is still reinserting itself on the Start Menu - Programs list with every system start! Who uses that dang shortcut rather than the shield on the taskbar?!

At least the desktop shortcut hasn't come back.

saab900
Contributor
Message 583 of 1,143

Hi All,

McAfee did try to contact me midweek but I was at work.

Not long after my last post a gentleman from McAfee phoned me.

Explained I had to keep checking the website regarding reimbursement etc.

I'm in a job which receives complaints, a common one is about not keeping customers updated.

As a complaint officer, I always ensure I give regular updates to customers whose complaints I'm assigned to.

Glad to see McAfee does as well - very very important.

I use to work on ICL mainframes as operator then main programmer and it is possible for a fault to develop which can be diffiecult to tie down.

My PC crashed on the Wednesday, couldn't do a thing with it and I couldn't even reinstall windows or anything,

I had to take it to a repair shop in the end and they reinstalled windows for me.

I appreciate people being frustrated as I have been but these things do happen.

I've still got trust in McAfee to get it sorted and do the right thing for its customers.

Oh, and to confirm, the problem is not restricted just to Total Protection as I have Internet Security.

Regards

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 584 of 1,143

So, I opened a request at McAfee.com to get a refund for my Virus Scan Plus.

I get back an answer telling me how to fix the 5959 dat error.

Also, they told me I could go to>>> and gave me links for tech support (again????) on the McSvhost.Exe error, despite fact I told them I had spent hours with tech levels at 2.5.

...however, they are working hard to resolve this issue.

And...

Sorry, we can't give you a refund since you failed to contact us re this problem within the thirty day of purchase period.

How automated, or unresponsive could they be???

Forget it. I'll never go back to them.

Essentially they are saying.

Start over with tech, fix the 5959 with these solutions, and sorry, no refunds.

terri

Peacekeeper
Message 585 of 1,143

Terri your refund is because of the mcsvhost issue wan't it?  This thread getting confused with update issue posts in it as well.

Mcafee does have a 30 day refund window and if the reason was mcsvhost and you left it past 30 days Mcafee is just following their set rules. I wonder why everyone is stressing about the shutdown error as watching it it adds 10secs to shutdown sequence and my Son in Laws PC has probably had it for ages but he never saw it as he shut pc down then turned off the Monitor and left the room as his normal shutdown method. It seems it is caused but a couple of issues.

Mcsvhost is tied into many of Mcafee products not just Antispam.

WE mods are always stirring Mcafee to keep us updated on these issues and presently they are looking at a possible cause.

Carla13
Former Member
Message 586 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper

I don't care about McAfee adding 10 secs to the shutdown sequence, what annoys me is that I'm left with a blank/white gui that I cannot see or control what McAfee is doing on one of my pc's.

That's the annoying thing. 

Peacekeeper
Message 587 of 1,143

Carla13

Usually this is a corrupt install fix is uninstall via MCPR too; (in useful links tab above) and reinstall. Before reinstalling try resetting Internet Explorer to defaults.

Other cause is a clash with another installed or not correctly uninstalled Antivirus software.

Before you look at this try the MVT (Virtual Technician ) program available in the Technical Services link also above in Useful links. It may fix it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/05/10 8:47:19 AM
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 588 of 1,143

The e-mail could have been interpreted in several ways...30 days from subscription renewal (last October, 09)?

Thirty days since McSvHost.exe problem (which I did report through chat immediately and assumed since they spent hours with shuffling me from basic level to Dinesh)?

This problem is still not resolved and from their links they are asking me to start all over again.

Then, the other problem the dat problem, I got just before I finally uninstalled McAfee for the final time. They were offering a fix for that.

Sorry, no refund.

Guess what...I really don't care.  Well worth it to let it run out and just not come back.  Service on this has been very time consuming and part of an end-user, Me.

The e-mail that was given to me for followups after I spoke twice with Dinesh, apparently is useless, since I sent a long e-mail to whoever that is and received absolutely no response to the e-mail. Not even a "thank you for your help so far...we hope to resolve this."

No response. Zip. Now they want me to start over.

Sorry. Just bad customer service IMHO.

terri

I realize this thread is for McSvHost.exe only, but the other problems have been discussed and I asked for my refund based on multiple unresolved problems...indicating that before my computer crashed completely, I wanted a refund.

wolfsumoto
Former Member
Message 589 of 1,143

NOPE, none of that works either. i did an uninstall, ran the cleanup tool, then reinstalled and i have no other anti virus program running. MCAFEE NEEDS TO GET OFF THEIR BUTTS and fix this. I am already looking for my new anti virus software and I assure you, it won't have any of the following letters in it; mcafee. I say what runs on my pc, errors or whatever....not them.

Message was edited by: wolfsumoto on 5/8/10 6:10:21 PM CDT
drewb
Former Member
Message 590 of 1,143

Well, luckily for me, my Mcafee sub expires in two weeks.  Just had my renewal notice from Mcafee.

I will be moving to another supplier.  Mcafee dont care about their customers.  I doesnt matter if its just " an irritating message", it is still unacceptable.  Add to that, the other issues, including causing peoples pc's to stop working and its a no brainer.

While issues, including this one remain, I will always worry what might be around the corner.

In addition, 2010 seems to be more cpu hungry, the very reason I switched from Norton to Mcafee.

Hope they fix it eventually, they owe it to their customers, without them Mcafee will cease to exist.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community