cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolfsumoto
Former Member
Message 561 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

What? mcafee actually telling people how to remove their popup ads from their computers? ROFLMAO. btw, editing the registry seems to have fixed it. Many Thanks!!

n6wk
Former Member
Message 562 of 1,143

Well, I knew it was too good to be true. Even after editing the registry, The Error returned last evening .  Bummer !

cranheim
Former Member
Message 563 of 1,143

I am getting the same "Memory Counld not be written" error message during Shutdown ever since McAfee was automatically updated to the latest level. It sure seem to be a common problem with this this new level. I hope McAfee finds the problem with this new level soon, or lets us go back to the previous level.

Peacekeeper
Message 564 of 1,143

The developers do not move that fast the registry stuff is just left over old version keys that will now be removed at a later update.

Connecting to SIL's PC in 2 hrs see what happens

hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 565 of 1,143

I fixed the registry error I was getting "HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url" like other have done, by rebooting in SAFE mode and deleting its value:

misp://C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\McNmcUI.dll::nmc.htm

I was afraid to delete the registry key, so I just deleted the VALUE ONLY. I didn't get the "...could not be written" error at shutdown that night, but as soon as McAfee downloaded an update, I got the error again at shutdown and have gotten it ever since. Back to square one. So far, McAfee software hasn't "re-written" the value back to the registry key.

Peacekeeper
Message 566 of 1,143

Yes my Son in Law's PC was fine after the uninstall/reinstall but today's update threw it over the edge again. Admin held up so connecting to the PC tomorrow.

Any1 running adware (lavasoft's) and it showing up in the task bar(bottom right hand corner) Just noticed SIL has it running but daughter does not and she has not seen the issue. Ok wild guess number 6.

DLMyRBD
Former Member
Message 567 of 1,143

Sorry to change the subject but I haven't been able to get online for 8 days. Sometime after midnight (April 28) I clicked a box that said "windows must restart for AV updates". After restart, browsers would "freeze" as soon as they launched. Had to use task manager to shut them down. Problem became progressively worse. Called cust, support twice, but their fixes didn't work. Received 5958 recovery cd, didn't work either. Was about to reinstall the OS when I decided to use system restore. Took it back to April 21st, 3:48 am. Instead of the new McAfee shield Icon I have the square with the M. After a few minutes the AV downloaded @ 57000 Packets and began running a virus scan.When I launch McAfee, the window is blank. Firefox Crashes the instant I launch it. I'm able to communicate with u through ie with no add-ons. Regular Internet Explorer freezes. How do I get my browsers to work normally? Also, it's possible that you haven't heard from more people with McAfee AV problems because THEY have no way to access the internet. Please tell McAfee NOT to reinstall the shield! The new program hates me. Thanks for your help              

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 568 of 1,143

Ok, some interesting observations from trials done all of you & my observations some hopes!!!!!

1.the 2010 version when you download afresh & install works fine without error - the original package is fine - note this comes from a seperate server of Mcafee.

2.Deleting those buggy registry entries also stops the error.- but returns after updates are made- note the updates come from a different servers one of which might have some buggy update which is re-introducing the error-Only Mcafee should be able to identify & isolate this server.

To re-confirm the observations above let's try these.

1.Use cleanup tool & uninstall Mcafee2010.

2.Delete those buggy registry entries.

3.Reinstall your 2010 version afresh & immediately turn off automatic updates & try using this without any updates for 5-6days & see if the error reappears.

If we are able to stop the error for 5-6days from above steps we are sure that McAfee needs to look & find which update on which server is causing this.

Until Mcafee finds a fix before the number of pages crosses the limit for this discussion(43 current),lets keep looking up & doing our own "Punching in the dark type of trials"

I am not finding the error returning on my XP sp2 system since 5 days with above proceedure,let me not download any updates for another 5 days & see.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 569 of 1,143

I'm certainly not touching my registry, not computer literate enough to do it, so certainly not risking it.

Best is to uninstall mcAfee and forget it and get a refund, its proving itself not to be a trusty programme anymore. And it seems free programmes are working a lot better and more effificient and without any problems. McAfee in my opinion have had near on 5 months to sort their programme out. I think that is quite long enough. If you bought something from a shop and it didnt work you either take it back and get your refund, Or get a replacement that works its as simple as that.

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 570 of 1,143

I have AdAware running and have been experiencing this issue. 

The shutdown error message had gone away for about a week after a clean reinstall, but it is back!  One thing that I did notice is that I had unchecked Use Access Protection (when running the fix to get rid of the desktop icon), but had forgotten to recheck it.  During this time, I did not get a single shutdown error.  As soon as I rechecked this, I got the error message on my first shutdown.  Coincidence???  I will monitor this for a few days.  If the shutdown error continues, I will try unchecking Access Protection again, to see if this does resolve the issue for me.

Also, since the original upgrade, the DATs have yet to autoupdate.  I need to manually check for updates for this to happen.  I am running XP sp3 on a Dell laptop. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community