Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 541 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

We are keeping our fingers crossed for that or some sort of fix... we'll post any news we get.

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 542 of 1,143

hollywoodboy wrote:

Just a note...

I ran "Windows Live One Care Safety Scanner" and it returned the following registry error:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url

When I reboot my PC the error is right back again.

I looked up this registry key with REGEDIT and its value is:

misp://C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\McNmcUI.dll::nmc.htm

I then browsed to the above folder, but the file "McNmcUI.dll" doesn't exist.

I tried doing a search for it on my entire harddrive, but it doesn't exist.

I then ran the McAfee Virtual Technician, but it returned no errors.

Don't know if this is related to my "...could not be written" error or not. Just letting everyone know.

Message was edited by: hollywoodboy on 5/2/10 5:19:08 PM CDT

Hi

You are probably right, as the entries relates to an URL which might not be available to Mcafee2010 program when XP is already shutting down.However, I strongly suggest for eavery one not to meddle with your registry with any 3rd pary software or manually to try to find a fix as Registry is a very important file & any mistakes done will carsh your xp system itself which is not worth trying for this McAfee problem.

You can try however my  suggestion previous post of custom installation & see if it helps until a fix is found.It is almost 99% confirmed that this needs to be addressed at coding level by Mcafee developers.Let us hope they will find the bug & a fix soon.

FOR MCAFEE DEVELOPERS:

I have provided a link here which explains

How to identify where a failure is occurring in your code by using the address in the error message that you receive as per Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196755

Pl see if this can help you further:

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 543 of 1,143

One thing noted (at least on my system) is that since the upgrade to the 2010 version , the auto updates have not been taking place. Up until that the upgrade , there were dialy updates every day when I went online. Since the 2010 version , I have to have it check for the updates manually , even though auto updates are turned on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 544 of 1,143

jmckee wrote:

One thing noted (at least on my system) is that since the upgrade to the 2010 version , the auto updates have not been taking place. Up until that the upgrade , there were dialy updates every day when I went online. Since the 2010 version , I have to have it check for the updates manually , even though auto updates are turned on.

That's another issue that's being looked at.  Updates and autoscans are delayed automatically if the machine is in use.  It's supposed to override that after so long and do it anyway, but in many cases it seems not to be working.

However, that said, make sure because the updates occur totally silently.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/05/10 7:58:10 EDT PM
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 545 of 1,143

Yet another problem. Not just a shutdown error.

Totally silently?

I always got notification when the updates were installed. They may have been silent, but I could always tell an update was going on because my computer slowed down ... a great deal.

Still happy with CA.

Checking back.

Hopefully, this will be fixed before a whole "HOST" of problems crops up. Pun intended.

terri

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 546 of 1,143

Pun appreciated, if not by McAfee at least by me.

With my updates I told it not to show the pop-up even so they just happen, but I don't notice any slow down.

I guess it depends on the machine and what's running.

Peacekeeper
Message 547 of 1,143

hollywoodboy wrote:

Just a note...

I ran "Windows Live One Care Safety
Scanner" and it returned the following registry error:

HKLM\Software\McAfee\MSC\NMC\Url

When I
reboot my PC the error is right back again.

I looked up this
registry key with REGEDIT and its value is:

misp://C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\McNmcUI.dll::nmc.htm

Confirmed same registry link and no file present in Win 7 64 bit So the link could be benign though pointed this out to the Techs during our Phone call.

Pcfriend passed your info you provided onto them as well Thanks

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 548 of 1,143

The updates are silent , that is correct. However , the icon in the tray changes to include a small disk (clock?) when the update in taking place. When I checked Monday to see if things were up-to-date , the last VS update was shown as 5/1/10.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 549 of 1,143

True, luck if I catch that happening though.

wolfsumoto
Former Member
Message 550 of 1,143

Absolutely nothing was wrong with my pc before updating to mcafee 2010. I am now getting the mcsvhost.exe error on shutdown as well. mcafee can replace my memory chips to see if this stops the error. I don't mind "hit and miss" at their expense, since they are reimbursing for their big screw up and what it cost us to repair our pc's. Just happens my repair costs are the exact price of 4 memory chips for my 2 pc's. If that don't fix the problem, I'll bet Norton will

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community