cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saab900
Contributor
Message 521 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Many thanks to Peacekeeper for the advice - much appreciated.

When I try to access home support, including the link you included, it just times out everytime.

However I could access the business areas.

Anyway I've sent an email to small business, hopefully they will pass it on.

Regards

Saab 900

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 522 of 1,143

The support pages have just come back up.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 523 of 1,143

McAfee updated to the newest version on my system early in the week and all seemed OK. The only thing noted was a slightly slower system response time online. Then , on Friday (4/30) , the normal daily DAT update took place. When I went to shut down the system later , the above error came up near the end of shutdown indicating it was trying to write to a location and could not. Still doing that after one more daily update the next day.

Obviously something that was changed in the program as nothing was changed on my system.

Peacekeeper
Message 524 of 1,143

Agrred not your cause too many users have it in 2010 version

hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 525 of 1,143

Add me to the list. Customer Support techician uninstalled & reinstalled 2010 version on my WindowsXP SP3. No error message at shutdown for 2 days, then today the Virus Scan ran for the 1st time since reinstalling McAfee. I started getting the "...could not be written" error message today at shutdown again.

I contacted CS again just now. After asking me all the same questions again, I asked if I could just temporarily "freeze" my subscription for now, so I can install other antivirus software just until McAfee gets this error fixed. The technician told me to "Contact my computer vendor. It's not a McAfee software issue" (?!?)

Unbelievable.

Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 526 of 1,143

See that there is still no fix for this problem as of yet but I did solve it on my own I just uninstalled version 10 and reinstalled 2009 and then just turned off automatic updates I did notice that McAfee did automaticly update my virus dat file and a couple of other files and after doing this my system seems to picked up a little steam and my internet connection seems to be a lot more stable as well I will keep auto matic updates off and will wait for a fix my best advice for McAfee is to roll everybody back to 2009 and pull 2010 back to the design table rip it apart and redesign it from scratch it's a shame McAfee in my opinion is starting to look and act and sound like MS what a shame.......

Peacekeeper
Message 527 of 1,143

Re 2009 how do you update the dats and stop program updates. Do you check what the update is first?

Re the CS comment do you have a case number or is the email you used the same as you use here if so will pass that onto our tech who will reeducate the person who spoke to you.

Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 528 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

As I stated I uninstalled 2010 and reinstalled 2009 form there you goto the security screen and down in the lower left hand side you click on the button labeled configure and then click the advance button under automatic updates then select diable click apply and your done as for a case number I do not have one as I am not into having so called Tech's who obvisously from what I have read here don't have a clue but are quick to point the finger at someone else it's not McAfee's fault that's just poor customer support as for the updated Dat file that was done automaticlly by McAfee when I visited thier support site all the files updated were virus scan,security center,spam filter,network manager the GUI has stayed the same the current dat file I have is 5968.0000 last updated 5-01-2010 build version 12.1.110

As for the CS commet I didn't make one that was the member above me

Message was edited by: Brattyknight on 5/1/10 9:20:44 PM PDT
hollywoodboy
Former Member
Message 529 of 1,143

I was sent the reference# via email 484570-496235019

Now that the error message is back, I want to know if I can suspend my subscription for now & temporarily switch over to other antivirus software, only until McAfee gets the problem fixed. I reiterated this twice to the technician during our online Chat Support session. Instead of an answer, I just got the "brushoff" treatment.

I've always been a devoted customer and would gladly switch back to McAfee once they've gotten the problem fixed. If they ever do.

Peacekeeper
Message 530 of 1,143

I Will ask re your request for extension  though the issue from what i saw on my son in Law's PC is minor. The box pops up and several seconds later it goes. Is that what is happening usually?

Thanks for the info re email request info

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community