This seems insane...to stick with a program that is wreaking havoc with people.
As to why there aren't more people at this forum, many people simple don't know what to do...all of my friends have just rid themselves of McAfee and installed another program.
With this not being fixed and people being asked to make changes in their own systems to accommodate errors, that is crazy.
Personally, I say...uninstall it, keep checking back here for as long as it takes. You can always reinstall McAfee when everything is fixed.
In the meantime, you can have a program that works, before further breakdowns occur.
Just makes sense.
I'll keep checking back. I really thought this would be done by now, but I have friends who are just telling me about getting an update and the error message, recently! Also, the dat message ...the one that really tears things down.
If you love McAfee so much, get rid of it until all is fixed and then go back to it...
Seems like we could have a long wait though.
Meantime, my CA Internet Security Suite is doing quite well!
You may not have noticed; but running concurrent to the McSvHost.exe problem is the "new interface and version for all" issue where tools previously installed are gone after the update.
When McAfee went to upgrading everyone's interface and program to the "latest version" is when I started having issues with my three computers.
Computer #1 - Dell desktop with XP Home - Intel dual core cpu - ATI gpu
Computer #2 - Dell laptop with XP Pro - AMD dual core cpu - ATI gpu
Computer #3 - Dell desktop with Vista Home Premium - AMD dual core cpu - ATI gpu
Actually the new McAfee upgrade policy and McAfee Total Protection 2010 (all three computers) are the only common threads I have at the moment - besides of course ATI (3 different cards), Microsoft (3 different OS's), and Dell (3 different models).
Sorry without some of you trying things my hands are tied. My feeling is Mcafee needs users to help out
I asked if any of you have small or no swap files . No replies. I would appreciate some comments, polite ones .
I have also been asked by our tech who oversees we mods to get 1 or 2 posters to install Mcafee's MER tool that grabs mcafee and event log info from a PC. If any of you are will to run the tool and email me the logs post back and I will email you the file.
Saab900 you can request the cost to be refunded and a 2 year subscription extension if you had the update problem. Contact Mcafee via the chat option and request it.
Okay - to get with the program - none of my computers has less than 2GB of RAM - none of them have swap files less than 3XRAM.
Thanks that comment alone wrecks another thought.
No need for any more was a wild thought anyway
Ok over past months I have been sprouting off that my kids have XP and no issues. Seems I was misinformed as saw the popup on my son in law's PC today. Only popped up for 2 secs then PC shutdown. That is why he never saw it as happened 1 shutdown in 4 and usually he clicks shutdown and then walks away from PC. PC shuts down normally after popup.
So will do that MER program run on his so no need for test subjects.
After so much explanation me & others have given if this problem is to be fixed.We need Mcafee to get us these details so that we can provide some workable solutions.
1. Note as a special case just for trail I tried to install the latest version on a old windows2000prosp4 uptodate with all updates.First it downloaded a file of around 67mb & started extraction then it automatically switched to redownloading & downloaded another installation files this time around 43mb.The installation was fine,I noticed that all programs were of above 10.0 version & only Internet security was of 9.xxx version with 2009 GUI.Have done updates for 4 days & so far no errors at all.So,my assumption is there is still on some Mcafee servers 2009 version which can help Mcafee to locate & redirect only XP users so that they can get 2009 roll back temporarily(pl note my download was automatically redirected as it found my OS was win2000 pro sp4).
2. We need Mcafee team to provide what are the functions associated with Mcsvhost.exe as it is introduced in 2010 version only.The reason I am asking for this is to see if there is away to temporarily stop installing the related program of this by chosing custom install method.
3. It would be very good if Mcafee provides us with the complete Startup & Shutdown sequence tree of the 2010 version.The reason I am asking this when I decipher & analize the shut down error,it is indicating that Mcafee's some other service is closed before Mcsvhost.exe is closed & that service is no more in the allocated memory.The XP or Mcafee tries to look for that service for closing Mcsvhost.exe & it can't find & hence the error.So if we can get the requred details we can try & suggest which mcafee service needs to be kept open before closing Mcsvhost.
4.In the meantime we can try making a CUSTOM clean install of Mcafee2010 version(please also note the cleanup tool might need to be run twice on some machines to get complete uninstall as some times when you see the uninstall process bar it shows that product could not be completely removed & you might see Mcafee desktop icon still remaining after reboot.Anyway the second run of the cleanup will comeout with proper cleanup.)It would be worth trying custom installation with only selected features in the order of priority,may be by this we can find ( certainly a long way of trial & error method) which module when installed is giving this error.
a) Internet security + virus scan(use windows firewall instead)
b) Internet security + virus scan + firewall
Don't install any other features during both above method.If any one can pass this test with updates & several shutdowns we can then know that these important fetures have no bugs causing the error & can investigate which other feature is giving the problem.
The question is will Mcafee do this trial also for us on some of their machines & give us feed back??Are there any other voluteers to conduct this trial??
sorry i didn't read all 39 pages, but is there a fix? it seems like with MTP10 it's one annoying problem after another. i've been using their software for a very long time and i don't recall as many issues like i am having with 10. plus chat support is a joke, they don't provide a solution, the wait time is very long and the response is very long too. sorry i just need to vent.
1. the mcsvhost message at shutdown
2. so far i have the repeating shortcut on desktop
3. real time scanning keeps turning off - had to reinstall on all computers to fix the problemMessage was edited by: armoredsaint on 5/1/10 11:24:47 AM CDT
No fix yet though they said there was. The issue maybe caused by several root issues.
As mentioned I now have the issue on my son in Law's PC so will send them data from it.
PCfriend passed on some of your suggestionsMessage was edited by: Peacekeeper on 2/05/10 12:51:45 PM
New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.
Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership: