Message 421 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Sigh it is in our call agenda again in  10 minutes

creature_of_hel
Former Member
Message 422 of 1,143

Hi Nisa,

I can not guarantee that the problem was solved.
I can only answer for me. It's almost two weeks,
since I did not get the error. This occurred after the upgrade.
Now, with your testimony, I think that for some users,
who have upgraded, apparently, the problem is resolved.
We have to know the people who are still having trouble,
if they have not upgraded. Please keep me updated.

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 423 of 1,143

So your issue could have been the network agent issue. The powers that be say there are several issues here and they are working on them. Sorry

creature_of_hel
Former Member
Message 424 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper,

Can you tell me if the causes of the problem depends also on the computer configuration?

Regards

Message was edited by: creature_of_hell on 4/26/10 4:19:35 PM CDT
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 425 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

Why do you keep trying to pin the problem on networking? Plenty of people are not networked to anything, and still the problem persists. Even if it were that, it is not our responsibility to fix it - it is McAfee's responsibility. Two months worth of excuses with no solution is disgraceful. I'm happy to say that I uninstalled the product a couple of days back, and returned the disks today to the store where purchased, along with an explanation of what has transpired. They were truly shocked to hear what we, the users, have gone through and gladly gave me a full refund.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 426 of 1,143

Ex-Brit,

I spoke with a Microsoft representative about a week ago regarding upgrading to XP/SP3 (thinking vaguely that perhaps that would make Total Protection function properly). Besides that, SP3 has the reputation of making a lot of programs incompatible (that is, programs that always ran fine in SP2 will not run fine in SP3). In case you're interested, he instructed me on how to make SP3 compatible with all of the programs (in theory) that previously worked in SP2. The method he provided is a big hassle, but he advised that updating to SP3 with all the current programs in place stood a good chance of causing conflicts. But in case you think Total Protection would run better under SP3 (I don't believe that for a minute), here's the procedure he gave me to upgrade to SP3 and not encounter program incompatibilities. If you want to take the risk of trying it out, here's what he told me:

1. Completely reformat the computer (I assume using whatever means you used to get to XP in the first place - he didn't elaborate on that. Probably something you should check on before you actually do a reformat).
  2. Then update to XP3 before loading anything else (he didn't say to be sure to enable the firewall or load anti-virus, but I suppose it would make sense to do that)
  3. THEN load all of your usual programs.
  4. In theory, all of the programs that used to run fine in XP2, should also run fine in XP3.

Of course, theory is not necessarily reality: kind of like McAfee's instructions to us, huh?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 427 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

Ex-Brit,

I spoke with a Microsoft representative about a week ago regarding upgrading to XP/SP3 (thinking vaguely that perhaps that would make Total Protection function properly). Besides that, SP3 has the reputation of making a lot of programs incompatible (that is, programs that always ran fine in SP2 will not run fine in SP3). In case you're interested, he instructed me on how to make SP3 compatible with all of the programs (in theory) that previously worked in SP2. The method he provided is a big hassle, but he advised that updating to SP3 with all the current programs in place stood a good chance of causing conflicts. But in case you think Total Protection would run better under SP3 (I don't believe that for a minute), here's the procedure he gave me to upgrade to SP3 and not encounter program incompatibilities. If you want to take the risk of trying it out, here's what he told me:

1. Completely reformat the computer (I assume using whatever means you used to get to XP in the first place - he didn't elaborate on that. Probably something you should check on before you actually do a reformat).
  2. Then update to XP3 before loading anything else (he didn't say to be sure to enable the firewall or load anti-virus, but I suppose it would make sense to do that)
  3. THEN load all of your usual programs.
  4. In theory, all of the programs that used to run fine in XP2, should also run fine in XP3.

Of course, theory is not necessarily reality: kind of like McAfee's instructions to us, huh?

Well that's seems to me a long way of getting around it but it would probably work.  However I went through XP upgrade to XP SP1, then SP2, then SP3 without any issues.   All I did, and it applies to any service pack for any OS, was disable anti-virus until it was all done.

I'm now using Vista SP2 and Win 7 x64 on this machine but still have XP SP3 x86 on my notebook and I don't recall programmes suddenly failing when moving from one service pack to the next in any of my machines.

Most programmes can be run in compatability mode with an earlier version of the OS or even an earlier OS in any case so the issue shouldn't be a major one.

(Go to the programme's .exe and right-click/Properties/Compatability/Run this software in compatability mode...)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/04/10 7:11:02 EDT PM
ajmitch
Former Member
Message 428 of 1,143

Peacekeeper

I've downloaded and installed the beta on this installation/disk.  It's running with XP SP3 and IE6 at the moment.  I did install IE8, but for some reason it's playing up with your site tonight.  Come to think of it.  Your site is not much better running on IE6 at the moment as it keeps doing strange things, plus the text size and placement is all over the place.  All other sites are OK, as is the main www.mcafee.com website.  For some reason, the forum is displaying really weirdly at the moment.  It keeps changing all on it's own too.

Anyway, having installed the beta, I still got the error message when the computer shut down for a restart a few minutes ago.

TEAMSAINT
Former Member
Message 429 of 1,143

2 Points. First one - off topic. I have winxp sp2 IE6. Several banking web sites I go to are now not supporting IE6, and microsoft will stop supporting SP2. So I need to upgrade to winxp sp3, IE8. I read the past posts and the key is to disable Mcafee first. (I do not want to reformat my drive) Is there a one button click to do that. A previously posted doc sheet said to do a bunch of steps. Are there any short cuts with the new version of mcafee.

Second point. 3 days and no shutdown error. It makes no sense, printer on, printer off, using internet before shutdown.

shelley

Email removed for security PK

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/04/10 2:44:53 PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 430 of 1,143

To disable VirusScan do the following.  I'll post the procedure for both the 2009 and 2010 products/

VirusScan 13 - 2009 (square taskbar icon)

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.

VirusScan 14 - 2010 (shield icon)

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Protection

Click the Turn Off button and tell it for how long to stay that way.

There's some hints on installing SP3 here:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

I also state there that it may be a good idea to turn on Windows Firewall and disable McAfee.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/04/10 9:03:01 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community