Message 311 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Peacekeeper

Parent controls are on the programme but its not
active on mine.

To be honest this release really "stinks". Its
full of bugs, Not only this grave problem, but the Scheduled Scanner
does not work on the time set. My Automatic updates I don't think are
working as they should. There has been no updates on mines for 2 days??

Too many
problems with this, and i am totally and utterly fed up with McAfee
support sending me emails, saying they have tried to contact me phone.
McAfee have not tried, and if they do you cannot understand what they
say?

If
my Scheduled Scan does not work tomorrow (Wed) then this programme is
being ditched and going to AVG free.

Had enough. And most certainly
cannot recommend McAfee again, have done lots of times, but no more. Its
rubbish.

Oh
Whoopppee I had an automatic update first one for 2 days, next one is
12.06 today, we will see.

re scheduled scan and update it is Mcafee trying to be smart and adding what is called Smart timer. The update and scheduled scan do not activate if the

1 Mouse is moved around due time or certain programs running that mcafee assumes is the PC in use. It retries every 10 miniutes but some never get an update unless you manually update.

Mcafee told by us to add a disable option for smart timer in our wish list of changes. The new 10.5 version I am testing improves the issue by

1 When a scheduled update  occurs, McAfee checks to see if machine is idle. If not, waits 10 minutes and  checks again. If idle, installs update. After two hours of checking, if machine  is still not idle, update will proceed anyway. I assume scheduled scan affected same way.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 312 of 1,143

So basically you are saying, that when the scheduled scan is due, I have to close down all programmes and sit and wait for the scan to start!! How ridiculuous is that.It has to be totally idle?

Peacekeeper
Message 313 of 1,143

I know a bit of a nuisance but why cannot you schedule a scan at a time you are not doing anything? The issue will be improved upon in future releases. By closing all programs my scans fine when downloading torrents, running gadgets etc. Typing and mouse movement thoiugh will mess it up

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 314 of 1,143

Can you please run the virtual technicain and post the session id please?

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 315 of 1,143

The scan is scheduled for 6.50 in the morning, I do not usually do anything at that time. If it doesnt start at that time, then there is real big problem with this realease. I fail to see why this should have an effect. The previous version had no problems whatsoever, You Installed it and basically left it and it did a brilliant job. This release is hardwork and more than a nusciance.

And still no fix for this shutdown error. I give it a week and then its uninstalled for good.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 316 of 1,143

Nisa 51,

My feelings exactly. I've had enough. If it isn't fixed by tomorrow, I'm ditching the program too. I live within a few miles of a McAfee location in the U.S. (Beaverton, Oregon to be precise). I tried to call them to discuss this issue and ask why they are selling software that (1) does not work right and (2) they are unable fix when it does not work right. Noteworthy that when you phone them here in Beaverton, Oregon, they have a phone system where you cannot get through to a live person unless you know their ID number to dial in to. If you wait for the so-called "Operator" or press the "0" they say to press in order to reach the Operator, all that happens is that you roll on back to the same message that gets you nowhere. That ought to tell you something about how much they care about their software problems. Either that, or they know they have so many software problems that the last thing they want is to hear from disgruntled customers. So they shuffle us off to forums that can't fix anything and they shuttle us off to technicians in India who can't solve our problems and people whose English we cannot understand.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 317 of 1,143

I'm in the UK so the only option I seem to have is the India connection, and sorry I just cannot understand them. But why did the previous programme work perfectly well, so why does one not??

n6wk
Former Member
Message 318 of 1,143

I am beginning to Believe that McAfee is the WORST Software company I have ever dealt with.

3rd world Support,  people that don't speak english or NO support.

Don't answer the phones, drag their feet when solving a problem and expect the end users to sort it out.

Why Not just make the program go back to the LAST known working version until they get it sorted out?

My God, How hard could that be?

Shame on McAfee. This has been going on way too long. To make it worse, One division doesn't even now what the other divisions are doing.

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 319 of 1,143

No parental controls on this one. 

As for scheduled scans, this is set to the default McAfee scan schedule of every Friday at 04:00.  Not sure whether this is US time or GMT, but my PC is off until I get home from work in the evening (UK time)  and when I start iup the PC, the scheduled scan starts soon afterwards.  Also, it seems to be downloading updates almost every day.  I have the boxed version of Antivirus Plus 2010, but after comments on here that the box version is just the old version 9 with updates, I decided to re-install using the install from web option.  The error message on shutdown is a nuisance, but it goes away on it's own.  As long as nothing is getting screwed up by shutdown terminating the process, then I've no problem with it.

McAfee was good when the elements were separate items, i.e. separate boxes with Antivirus and Firewall.  They actually worked well.  However, since McAfee followed the same path as Symantec, seemingly ruining their product the same way that Symantec ruined the very good Norton Security products, by trying to combine everything into one package that doesn't work, the single package is a disaster.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 320 of 1,143

No parental controls on my computer, either. Ever.

I have always had trouble with McAfee scanning...SLOW...it says, you may continue to work. Forget it. It stops and then doesn't resume....

Or when I see it has started, I will let it go, and often when I come back, it has stopped along the way. Because my computer went into "sleep" mode after 15 minutes?  My screen savers are flashing by...no running McAfee.....I practically have to sit at the computer while it scans and click a key now and then to make sure it runs. Mostly this is with full scan, not quicker scan.

I didn't get the shutdown error last night, but that doesn't mean anything. When I shutdown for a week, and/or restart during that time, and get no error, I will consider the problem "fixed."

In meantime, holding.

I have to agree about the McAfee Shuttle Help Plan.  Start at McAfee, home country.  Get someone who makes you go through everything you have already tried, to no avail.

Then, maybe, get shifted to someone in another country who gathers data to send back to parent company.

Here, it was only through these forums that I finally got any kind of help for the shutdown error...well...sorry, not helped.

I helped.  No resolution yet.

With Microsoft, I get a case opened immediately and the same person follows through all the way to the end of the problem until it is resolved, and, even then, they will keep case open for couple of weeks, just to be sure.

Actually, it was the Microsoft tech advisor that sent me to this forum once he realized my Windows Update problem was not a windows problem, but a McAfee problem.

Why?

There are so many new competitive software companies coming up with highly rated services....makes one want to jump ship for a number of reasons.

As I said....McAfee should see in their international sales figures, if there is a slide in product sales?????

I don't anyone who uses them anymore, because they have lost patience with the problems and the service.

terri

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 4/20/10 3:04:11 PM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community