Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quaffa
Former Member
Message 261 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Oh dear...

I admit I'm going slightly off topic here, but I remember posting in this discussion that I wouldn't be renewing my McAfee subscription -which expires 8th May- until McAfee addressed the issues raised in it.

So I was rather peeved* to receive an email from McAfee this morning, a full month ahead of my renewal date, informing me that they had already automatically renewed my subscription, and that it cost over twice as much as last year.

I was, I thought, giving them some time to recify their software issues, but it seems they have taken it upon themselves to force the issue, and I really have no alternative but to cancel my renewal forthwith.

So, best of luck, people. Ta Rah...

[*This is indeed something of a euphemism.]

Edit:-

I thought you might be interested in this separate issue, which I discovered when I actually went through the process of cancelling my subscription. I found it a bit alarming, myself. See-> http://community.mcafee.com/message/123467#123467

Message was edited by: Quaffa to include reference to new posting on 08/04/10 11:01:47 GMT
user_57852
Contributor
Message 262 of 1,143

Tony,

I did a system restore TWICE (one for April 2, no go - then one for March 24) until video links came back.

Redownloaded WinXP, IE8 and Mcafee updates in that order - still've got  McSvhost error on shutdown though.

on 4/8/10 5:04:33 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 263 of 1,143

But video works? If so something got corrupted.

fix soon just stand it till then please.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 264 of 1,143

Sorry for the troubles, Bob...

In my experience, using sys restore is a last resort. I have only done it a couple of times, but things have never been quite right afterwards.

I wound up reformatting my hard drive both times, I think.

For this error message, IMHO, it's just worth waiting it out.

My McAfee services, icons and program are all running as expected, except for that error message, which will be fixed...

terri

TEAMSAINT
Former Member
Message 265 of 1,143

I am not a computer expert, but I was told that IE8 was designed for the windows 7 platform. I have winXP sp2 with IE6. I downloaded IE8 and had issues. Microsoft tech help told me to convert back to IE6, I did and everything went fine.

Peacekeeper
Message 266 of 1,143

I am not a computer expert, but I was told that IE8 was designed for the
windows 7 platform. I have winXP sp2 with IE6. I downloaded IE8 and had
issues. Microsoft tech help told me to convert back to IE6, I did and
everything went fine.

Ok understand haven't had xp for a while and MS knows best

Vengle53
Former Member
Message 267 of 1,143

I have to say that I am really upset with McAfee's performance since this new upgraded version.  And I have good reason to be upset.

Thus far this McSvhost.exe problem has (1) caused my hard drive to become unrecognized, requiring an mbr repair, (2) works the heck out of my microprocessor, even pegging it to 100% usage at times and freezing my system, (3) it has interfered with my telephone dsl modem so that when McAfee is installed I have to leave my phone off of the hook or my modem disconnects and when I am connected even with the phone off of the hook my modem barely works half its normal speed, (4) it causes none of the security settings I choose to hold, changing them as soon as I have exited after making them.

How do I know it is the McAfee Internet Security Suite that is doing it?   Simple!  Everything operates normally while it is uninstalled.   As soon as I reinstall it I get back into the same problems.

I liked the 2009 version which is what I bought but McAfee fights me being able to load that version and use it.   My subscription has three licenses but I only use one of them as I only have one computer running.  I have others but I live by myself and I do not bother to network them.  My subscription does not expire until October 2010.

In the midst of struggling to figure out what was happening to my computer and my modem I got a brand new modem from AT&T and put all of my programs over to another of my better computers.  So everything has been changed.  But when I run McAfee 2010 with any machine and any dsl modem I get the same trouble all over again.

I am really smiffed.  If McAfee will not let me go back to 2009 from my disk, I am going to call it quits with McAfee.

As soon as I exit this post I am going to go delete 2010 and try to reinstall 2009.  If they won't let me I will go to WalMart and buy another Internet Protection Suite and be done with McAfee.

Peacekeeper
Message 268 of 1,143

2009 will be updated you cannot I understand stop it without stopping dats. That is something we asked ie let us know exactly what is coming through a dat or an update so we can say do not update it.

The 1st patch to TP4 (2010)  version 4.5 is now available in beta at www.beta.mcafee.com if any 1 wants to try it. you have to join but ex_brit installed it and says no issues as far as he has seen.  I do not know the fixes yet but worth a try if someone wants to. I will install it later tonight.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 269 of 1,143

How do we know what version we are running? When I click "About" all I get is a series of different version numbers for each component of Total Protection. Specifically:

McAfee Security Center Version 10.0; Virus Scan Version 14.0; Personal Firewall Version 11.0; Site Advisor Version 3.0;  Anti-Spam Version 11.0; QuickClean & Shredder Version 10.0.

So where does Version 4.0 appear, much less the version 4.5 beta - if I should dare to install it?

Peacekeeper
Message 270 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

How do we know what version we are running? When I click "About" all I get is a series of different version numbers for each component of Total Protection. Specifically:

McAfee Security Center Version 10.0; Virus Scan Version 14.0; Personal Firewall Version 11.0; Site Advisor Version 3.0;  Anti-Spam Version 11.0; QuickClean & Shredder Version 10.0.

So where does Version 4.0 appear, much less the version 4.5 beta - if I should dare to install it?

My apologise talking beta speak. From 2007 version each product was called Totol Protection 1 2 3 etc.the 2010 version is TP4. It is not used here to descrobe the versions so I should have just called it 10.5 (Security centre).

The new 10.5 version is stable and has some fixes included but have not been able to confirm the mcsvhost issue fixed as noone I know has the issue.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community