cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 231 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Ok..so I spent another hour or more online with Dinesh.

He gathered all the data from my computer to send on to McAfee, thanked me for assisting them and said he will contact me either through the forums

or another way to let me know when the problem is resolved.

First, he removed the annoying shortcut from my desktop which doesn't STAY gone by usual methods of deletion.

However, then when we restarted, no McAfee program in Start Menu under programs. He went and saw it in the generated list and added it.

So the bottom information bar now showed it.

After we finished, I had my computer off.

When I turned it on, no McAfee at startup, no splash screen to indicate that it started up or that it was running, no more icon in bottom bar to show it was running and active.

I found the program and had to doubleclick it to open it to get it running, after which it placed the icon on the bottom bar.

When I went to add it to my startup menu, it wasn't amont the icons in the Start Menue Folder to allow me to drag it to Start up...so it appears that when I turn my computer on, McAfee isn't running unless I manually started it, or at least there is no indicator that it is running.  I have it pinned to start menu, but how do I know that it is running at startup, since I have no indication that it started up and doesn't appear to have started up.

I sent an e-mail back to the support e-mail I got for my case, reporting this.  Once I open the program with doublclick, it places the icon on the bottom information bar and it is running.

HELP!!

So...I suggest, if McAfee offers to remove the shortcut, leave it for now, since it seems to have removed it from startup as well.

I won't uninstall and reinstall again, but may have to just to get the program running at startup.

Any suggestions???

As to McSvHost.exe, the data collected from willing participants will be forwarded to McAfee to find cause and prepare a patch.

I fear I will have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee now to get it starting at start-up.

terri

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 232 of 1,143

terri

tmgrl4 wrote:

So...I suggest, if McAfee offers to remove the shortcut, leave it for now, since it seems to have removed it from startup as well.

I won't uninstall and reinstall again, but may have to just to get the program running at startup.

Any suggestions???

I fear I will have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee now to get it starting at start-up.

terri

You won't find it in the start menu.  Don't know how confident you feel about tinkering with system settings, but try this.

Click on Start, then Run.

In the box, type in "msconfig" (without the quotes),  See attached picture config_2.jpg.

A window will open up called "System Configuration Utility"  Attached picture config_3.jpg

Click on the right hand tab that is labelled "Startup"

Use the scroll bar on the right of that window to scroll through the startup programs and look for one called "mcagent"  Attached picture config_4.jpg

It will have a little square box to the left of it

Make sure that there is a tick in the box, if not, click the box and a tick will appear.

Click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of that window,

You may get a window come up that says that an Access Denied Error was returned (see attached picture config_5) - ignore the message and click OK

Click the "OK" button.

Again you may get a window come up that says that an Access Denied Error was returned (see attached picture config_5) - ignore the message and click OK

The window will disappear to be replaced with one that gives you two options "Restart" or  "Exit Without Restart"  Attached picture config_6

Click the restart button.

Your PC will reboot.

When it restarts, a window will appear saying that you have used the System Configuration Utility etc, click in the little check box in the bottom left corner, then click OK.

The McAfee icon should now be back in your task bar.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 233 of 1,143

Thanks, ajmitch!! I will print out these instructions...in case....

I thought it through, and wondered if something as simple as running Virtual Technician would "fix" it.

I downloaded and updated VT and ran it...it said. No problems found, but when I did my restart....

Voila!  There was McAfee up and running, preceded by the quick Splash Screen to let me know and by the appearance of the shield in the lower right corner of bottom bar.

So...maybe that did it.

If not...I will give your suggestion a try.

Also, I noticed on this restart after using VT, that the McSvHost and other McAfee apps were running in processes.

I didn't think to even check there before.

We'll see what happens after a full shutdown, but this reboot with its reappearance I hope bodes well that it will remain.

Also, the shorcut on the destop is gone still. My scan was due to run, so I don't know if that is what started the program up since it is a scheduled task.  Will see at shutdown.

Dinesh seemed puzzled at the fact the McAfee VSP wasn't even in the Start/Programs/ menu....

terri

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 4/5/10 3:07:45 PM CDT
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 234 of 1,143

Hi all,

Firstly today on my netbook, when I switched it on, Mcafee came up with a message saying something along the lines "I hope you like the new features, and settings" and some other stuff. Which is weird considering i've had mcafee installed on my netbook for a few days now, and this message ONLY appeared today, But has not appeared on the MAIN pc. Also, im not holding my breath, but on 2 shutdowns on the netbook SINCE this message, no error. Shall see where it goes.

Lastly, for the attention of Bala or whoever is Calling customers regards this issue, I had 2 telephone calls today 3:04pm - 3:23pm... however I did not answer them.... Probably due to the fact I was very busy, and did explain to Bala "please call after 6pm UK time"

Mezzy.

on 05/04/10 22:03:51 IST
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 235 of 1,143

Mezzy...

I didn't get the "welcome" from McAfee that you got,  but I have had some shutdowns and reboots without the error message...then

It's baaaaack.

I am going to shut my computer down now and work out a little. After hours with McAfee...I need it. LOL.

We'll see when I sign on later to play bridge if McAfee starts up when Windows does...

terri

Peacekeeper
Message 236 of 1,143

Let me get this right the Mcsvhost issue is popping up on shutdown correct? The box either closes itself and the PC shuts down or requires a clicking "OK"?

If this is the case the issue is an annoyance  rather that a critical error such as a Blue Sceen on shutdown or boot.

Mcafee do think they know the cause and say a fix is in the next Patch coming soon (very). It appears to be caused by the network agent still being active on shutdown.

Can you wait patiently for it if possible I know it has been a while.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 237 of 1,143

Hi Tony!

I totally agree with you....now.

I've had McAfee forever and remember the days of no service, poor service......

They have obviously put a great deal of time and manpower into working on this..so , yes, I do indeed intend to wait.

It is a shutdown error message ...that's it, no other problems that I can see.

Oh...I just turned my computer on, after being completely off....The McAfee splash screen used to come up almost instantly after I saw my other icons ...so I waited....I pulled up Task Mananger and watched some "mcprocesses" (my own word) going on...within a minute to minute and half...

Splash screen, McAfee Shield on bottom...so it is there, but not as quickly as it used to come up.

I, for one, am waiting.

Dinesh said he will make personal contact with me regarding solution (or through forums which is also fine) ...he seemed to appreciate having someone willing AND able to give up the time.  I did have other plans today when he called. On my way to a bridge game, but there were enough people there, so I stayed and we worked.

Makes me feel good when I am part of a solution instead of complaining and being part of the problem.

terri

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 238 of 1,143

Hi Team,

Sorry for the delayed response, we are still working on the Patch for this issue. Fix will be released soon. Issue seems to be caused by McAfee Network Agent. Since it’s continuing to poll network during the shutdown. Till that time work around for the following issue is given below. We don’t recommend you to delete any McAfee files from the system. This might impact your security.

Open the Microsoft Services (Start -Run- Type-Services.msc- Right click on McAfee network agent -Click on stop and click on properties and disable services before restarting the computer).I will keep everyone posted once the solution is updated in the product.

Thank you for all your support

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 239 of 1,143

Thanks, Bala!

If we don't use the workaround solution you gave us and just live with the shutdown error, that is not a problem I assume.

If we do disable, and the patch comes, do we have to backtract and enable what we stopped?

Thanks.

I think I will wait, since it is just an error message and not anything more harmful on the computer....

terri

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 240 of 1,143

Hi tmgrl4,

Bala is only suggesting to temporarily stop mcagent. If you right-click mcafee network agent and select properties you will see that there is a box called "startup type". This should be set to automatic which means that mcagent will startup automatically whenever your machine starts. Clicking the stop option will just stop mcagent for that particular session. Since you can only effect this change when logged on with an administrator profile (and none of us should be running our machines day to day with administrator priviledges!) you may think the effort of constantly switching to an administrator profile is not worthwhile - so maybe just watch the error message as usual until the fix arrives!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community