cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n6wk
Former Member
Message 201 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

No Malware alerts, No printer ever has been connected to my Laptop.

No changes have been made to the Network at all.

The error occurs everytime I shut the compouter down after it has been on for more then a  few minutes.

Windows has ALL the latest updates installed.

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 202 of 1,143

PeaceM...

Malware with service named svhost.exe (not svchost.exe) came after tier 2.5 person searched everything using non-McAfee tools (what an irony for a corporate that has to depend on non-conventional tools).

Also all these happened only after TP 2010 was installed on top of 2009. While I was running 2009, there was not any malware or anything.

Also let me tell you the bizarre expreiences that it installed 2009 front end with 2010 version (when you select install from CD, not from Online). The CD was bought from Buy.com.

Are you suggesting that malware came when it connected to McAfee site to download latest update?

Are you suggesting McAfee free scan website unable to find anything and some strange non-conventional utility finds malware/virus? Should we buy McAfee or those non-conventional s/w?

Tier 2.5 person controls your m/c for 30 minutes and does nothing, that is how they had wasted my 20 hours in total.

It is interesting enough that non-conventional utilities find something on customer PCs but McAfee and then blame customers.

Do we smell dirty practice of car dealer repair shop?

Don't forget that community people are not just bunch of children, most of them do have IT background, including myself who is in IT for close to 20 years now.

We know what we are doing on our PCs and laptops and ofcourse we have far better knowledge and experience than tech support that is useless.

Are you willing to pay for my laptop shipping cost and do testing and ofcourse gurantee return, I am willing to ship it McAfee or send your technician to Chicago.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 203 of 1,143

FAO BalaSGS,

My main pc has no issues with mcafee (as yet) though im not holding my breath.

My netbook has this issue.

There is no printer installed, no network changes, no malware etc, all windows updates,

This happens on MOST shutdowns... not all.

Someone said this appears on start-up ??? I have never had this issue on start-up only shutdowns.

And why this is only happening on 1 of my computers, this is weird.

Another thing, this problem has been on my netbook since I installed Mcafee, however as mentioned in my earlier post, I had to wipe hard drive of netbook and reinstall windows / mcafee. This error still exsists on shutdown. There is no other programs installed, just windows / mcafee software.

Mez.

Message was edited by: Mezzy on 01/04/10 13:08:13 IST
sceptical
Former Member
Message 204 of 1,143

No Malware other than SecurityCenter itself.

No changes in either printer or networking since long before SecurityCenter was installed.

Up to date with all patches and firmware.

Not up to date with every driver, but no changes again since long before SecurityCenter was installed.

Issue happens 99+% of the time I shut down (except for 2 times) since installation.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 205 of 1,143

The Google uninstall did not work. After being online all day yesterday, same error at shutdown.

Got an e-mail from Bala at McAfee to arrange for a time for them to take control of computer. At least they can search for malware. Hopefully, everyone working together will bring forth a patch/update/solution.

terri

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 206 of 1,143

Will contact you, and, hopefully get higher T2 or T2.5 tech help, since I have checked off everything in your list. This error happened immediately after installing the new platform, 2010.

terri

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 207 of 1,143

Hi Terri

Had same message as you from Bala.

Apparently he will contact us via telephone and try and have a look at our pc's

Mez.

n6wk
Former Member
Message 208 of 1,143

Mine also only does it on Shutdown on my new Dell laptop.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 209 of 1,143

I gave Bala times today, tomorrow, all weekend and Monday...open.

If I haven't had a resolution or some kind of answer, especially if this is malware, I will delete McAfee and take Computer Associates Security Suite that comes with my cable service.

Can't do this anymore.

terri

Bumpy1
Former Member
Message 210 of 1,143

Pleased I found you people.  This is my first post.  I'm not very knowledgeable at this sort of thing, so please bear with me.

I've got the same problem here.

I'm running Windows XP SP2.  Pentium 4 2.8Ghz.  1.5Gb RAM.  I renewed my McAfee subscription to McAfee Anti-Virus on 11 March 2010.  I downloaded it from the McAfee site in the United States.  I had problems from the start as the download wouldn't install.  McAfee Remote Support sorted this out, but it took 4 hours for them to do.  There was some conflict with a Windows Update, so I understand.

Anyway, AntiVirus 2010 appeared to be working fine until 23 March, when I would receive the error message you are all seeing on shutdown.  Like you, if I do nothing, the message goes away and the PC shuts down.  This happens every time I shutdown my PC.  Since this has started, the PC always has the error message on shutdown.  If I Ctrl-Alt-Del and kill the McSvHost.exe process however, my PC will shutdown without the error message.

On a separate note, I did a full scan prior to downloading AntiVirus 2010, and the PC was reported as clean, although Lavasoft Adaware found a trojan, which I removed.  So, I'm a bit concerned McAfee doesn't work properly, especially as on a full scan McAfee did today, it reports 69 infected files, which I find hard to believe.

I think I made a bad decision in renewing with McAfee and perhaps would have been better going for one of the free optoins available.

Message was edited by: Bumpy1 on 01/04/10 13:30:10 CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community