cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 161 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Tonyorob they tried to contact you check your emails in spam folder.

Interestingly any1 else not on IE8?

They cannot fix as they need PCs with this happening on. They have not reproduced it nor can I on my 5 Pcs I have access to that have XP.

They are resending emails please keep an eye out as we do want this fixed but it will take your assistance as well

tonyorob
Former Member
Message 162 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

I have not had any emails from the tech department and have checked the spam folder today. I did delete some spam in the McAfee spam folder recently but it was not from anyone I recognized. Please ask them to try again. Tonyorob.

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 163 of 1,143

Since my last post, I opened a chat help session with a McAfee Technician and have got absolutely nowhere.  Had to stop the session as I need to get to bed, got to be up in four hours time for work.  Will continue with the session on Tuesday evening.  Gave the tech control of my PC and he didn't manage to come up with any answers.  After ending that session, I rebooted the PC and lo and behold, I got the error message again.  Unfortunately, that is something that he won't be able to see as it only happens at shutdown and the connection will have been broken.  He did say however, that McSvHost.exe is an essential part of the system to stop Trojans, hackers etc.  Will get back to you after the next chat session with the McAfee techs.

I think that after all this, I might just get rid of the McAfee stuff altogether.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 164 of 1,143

I have updated to VirusScan 2010 using IE7. Las week I have updated to IE8 in two of my XP computers, but the McSvHost.exe issue continues.

GeekStyle59
Former Member
Message 165 of 1,143

I, personally am giving up given the ridiculous amount of time this is taking to get resolved. I feel like a third class citizen -- behind the very problematic Vista and, now, Windows 7. My subscription would have been renewed in May, but that's a no go for me now. I run XP Pro SP 3 with all updates required and never had the problem until the online update process updated from the 2009 to the 2010 version of McAfee, purchased on disk from Dell last May. Good bye, folks!!!

Peacekeeper
Message 166 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

I have not had any emails from the tech department and have checked the spam folder today. I did delete some spam in the McAfee spam folder recently but it was not from anyone I recognized. Please ask them to try again. Tonyorob.

They are could be from Mcafee support If you are unsure PM me the email address and I will check it

ajmitch

Ask to be escalated to T2.5

I, personally am giving up given the ridiculous amount of time this is taking to get resolved. I feel like a third class citizen -- behind the very problematic Vista and, now, Windows 7. My subscription would have been renewed in May, but that's a no go for me now. I run XP Pro SP 3 with all updates required and never had the problem until the online update process updated from the 2009 to the 2010 version of McAfee, purchased on disk from Dell last May. Good bye, folks!!!

Bye pity u cannot want at least till May as I said they cannot reproduce it and need to remote to users Pcs to check them out. I think they also will check for malware free in the checkup

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 10:56:36 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 10:59:02 AM
tonyorob
Former Member
Message 167 of 1,143

Peacekeeper

The technical department has emailed me today and will ring me soon to remotely access my computer. Hope it helps resolve the problem. It is a good job that I am retired! Tonyorob.

Peacekeeper
Message 168 of 1,143

I am retired as well . Lucky us

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 169 of 1,143

Peacekeeper

I'll have to keep this brief, as I'm at work at the moment.  The comments that you made to other users re they need to remotely test on users computers, they would never see the problem, because they would have been disconnected before the error message appears, so I can't see how that can work.

Whilst I was on the chat session with the technician last night, I gave him full control of my PC, he tried various things, but didn't really achieve anything, then it just sat there for ages apparently doing nothing, but when I got my internet connection monitor open, it showed that my computer was sending data at a rate of knots.  No idea what was being sent, but this went on for some 20 minutes or so.  Almost like he was downloading my whole computer.  That was the point where I told him that I was going to have to shut down for the night and resume it today.  I did find last night, that it isn't specific to any version of browser as it also did it when I used Firefox.

I'm going to zap the hard disk again, do another clean install of Windows XP, put on SP3 and IE8, then reinstall the McAfee software and then get back to them and see what they can do with that.  I still can't see that they will be able to do anything remotely.  They need to build a PC with XP on it and install the McAfee 2010 software just as we do, then monitor what happens with that.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 170 of 1,143

ajmitch...you are so persistent!!  Doing all of the reinstalling. I refuse to uninstall and reinstall my IE and McAfee again.

I went through my whole McAfee program. Interesting when you open Firewall/Settings and click under each subprogram, and click on Programs that have permissions...it lists them all ..with some explanation. Very last one is McAfee Service Host...no explanation of what it does, what it tracks, any settings we can change. It's juse THERE.

Wouldn't it make sense for them in "settings" to inform users of its purpose. I refuse to call tech again. As has been said, problem occurs when we shut down, not while we are conncected to a tech person who has taken control of our computer. I am just going to sit and wait. There is not discernible pattern to the appearance or absence of the shutdown error message. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't, even when I delete it from Task Manager before shutting down.

When I pull up Task Manager, sometimes it is running. It has always run when I have been at these forums. It isn't running now, although IE is open (naturally) and Outlook Express. At other times, it is running on Task Manager. Deleting it before shutdown does not insure it won't pop up. It still does most of the time.

Under processes, I, as administrator am listed for most processes, then some as local svc host and then SYSTEM, which McAfeeService Host is named.  It's own program doesn't explain anywhere what it is or does, doesn't even come up when you go to their online Help and do a search. No explanations.

Crummy business.

terri

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community