cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 151 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

It is shown in task manager on my wife's win 7 32bit PC but only after choosing Show processes from all users.

I agree a clash seems more likely that is why Mcafee is trying to contact several posters here to check out what is installed and ensure no infections.

Am discussing this further tomorrow with our admin and a couple T3 techs in our Mod call.

rolandmj
Former Member
Message 152 of 1,143

Since I installed the new 2010 Internet Security Suite, I get also error on shutdown  "McSvHost.exe the memory cannot be written"

This error occurs at shutdown but not every time, it seems to depend of the use of IE during the session.

The problem never occurred before when 2008 or 2009 McAfee was installed.

I have Windows XP, french version, 1Go Memory.

I do not think to have viruses nor malwares. So, I'm convinced that the new version of the McAffe software probably written for windows7

contains a small error when used on windowsXP.

This problem does not seem to be harmful but There is a real need to get a correcting update from McAfee.

Peacekeeper
Message 153 of 1,143

What is confusing is I checked my son's XP setup and his was updated 2 weeks ago to 2010 and he shuts down 2-3 times a day and has seen no issue. He uses the PC for work 8 hrs a day and pleasure and has heaps of games downloads and programs on it but no issue. this is getting very strange will get back with an update after tommorow's call.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 154 of 1,143

I installed the 2010 version a few weeks ago, subscription expires 11/03/2011 so not that long ago. I installed this from a Mcafee CD-ROM, on both my computers... the main pc via the cd-rom drive, the netbook via a external cd-rom drive...

Main pc = no probs

Netbook = McSvhost.exe issue on shutdown.

Main pc: XP pro 2002 SP3

Netbook: XP home 2002 SP3 (fresh instalation of windows / mcafee) no other non windows products installed.

Mez,

Ps, I have also tried reinstalled mcafee software from "my account" on the netbook... still this issue persists. The netbook has got the EXACT same programs installed as when I had the 2009 version. Only updates that run are windows - mcafee (same updates on main pc)

on 30/03/10 16:12:01 IST
ajmitch
Former Member
Message 155 of 1,143

Without doing further tests, from all the information given by all members experiencing this problem, it would seem that this is a Windows XP only issue.  Notably users of Vista or Windows 7 are not on here complaining about the problem.  More specifically, the evidence given by tonyorob who has checked this on all three OSs definitely points to XP being the culprit, or victim, whichever way you look at it.

What we need is a definitive explanation from McAfee as to the task of this file and whether it is specifically designed for the later two OSs.

I have emailed McAfee directly and asked the question, so now await a reply and see what they have to say.

Peacekeeper
Message 156 of 1,143

Techs are trying to contact 8 of you but 6 haven't replied to the email so please check the email you joined the forum with.

Exhausted_customer you were contacted and supplied info they seem to think your issue is resolvved in that it was a viral issue can you confirm please.

Rest you please check your email mcafee needs your assistance and when asked let them remote login to your PC It is needed.

The other person who was contacted does not want remote access so after 22 contact attempts on the 8 users only 2 replies.

Off to the call now

Oh can you all post your PC specs please and whether you bought the software or not (ie supplied from your ISP )

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 6:42:17 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 6:45:28 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 6:45:50 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/03/10 8:45:26 AM
Quaffa
Former Member
Message 157 of 1,143

Quote Peacekeeper:- "Oh can you all post your PC specs please and whether you bought the  software of not (ie supplied from your ISP )"

Mine is a Dell Inspiron 6400 notebook with an Intel Core 2 T5500 CPU running at 1.66GHz, with 2.00GB of RAM. I am using Windows XP Media Center Version 2002 with SP3.

It came with a McAfee suite pre-installed, but it was cheaper to buy a CD than carry on with the pre-installed stuff, so I bought the McAfee product on a physical CD back in 2007. (I can't remember whether it was 'Total Protection' or 'Internet Security Suite' or something.) When the 12 month subscription on the CD expired I renewed direct with McAfee online, using the integral 'renew subscription' link. I renewed a second time in 2009.

Upon the failure of the 2010 version to auto-download and install correctly, under direction from a McAfee chat support tech I uninstalled it, downloaded and ran the cleanup tool, (MCPR?), and then downloaded and installed the 2010 version again directly from the 'My Account' section of McAfee, again on the instruction of the chat tech.

And what I have now is McAfee SecurityCenter, Version 10, Build 10.0.570, Affid 0, Language en-gb, Last update 22/03/2010.

Message was edited by: Quaffa on 29/03/10 16:25:26 CDT
user_57852
Contributor
Message 158 of 1,143

MacAfee:

How much longer do you expect to be in business with these kinds of headaches lingering for subscribers?

Still having the shutdown error, still waiting..........

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 159 of 1,143

My specs.

Home built PC started some 7 years ago, but since upgraded graphics card and hard disks.

Motherboard is an ABIT nForce something or other.

CPU is Athlon 64 4000+

2 Gb DDR2 RAM

XFX GeForce 9600GT graphics card

Creative Audigy 2 soundcard

Two identical 320 Gb SATA2 hard disks

Lightscribe DVD R/RW

Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem

Dell widescreen monitor 1440 x 900 res.

Windows XP SP2 - I have today downloaded SP3 ready to install

IE6 - did have IE7 on my PC last year, but it caused so many problems that I removed it.  I've just downloaded IE8 today to give that a try.

Outlook Express 6

This whole situation with this file just got a whole load more sinister for me this evening.  My security centre popped up a red box saying that my computer was insecure and that it couldn't connect to check for updates.  I tried in vain for ages to get it going, even logging on to my McAfee account and verifying my subscription etc.  I ran the Virtual Technician that said everything was OK, so that was a waste of time, so then started a chat help session.  That required me to download and run a file from McAfee for the chat window.  It wouldn't run and everything just froze up.  I couldn't even close it.  Started up Task Manager and noticed that McSvHost.exe was very busy, but doing what?  So I terminated it.  Immediately all the frozen windows came back to life and my chat session window started up.  More important though, my security centre finally found that it could connect and successfully downloaded and installed it's updates and all is happy again.  Except for me with this McSvHost.exe.  What the heck is it and what is it doing stopping legitimate services from running?

My McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010 was bought from PC World.  Originally I installed it from the CD and downloaded all the updates after registering it, but after doing the Windows reinstall thing, opted for the download the latest version direct from McAfee.  Totally different interface to the one that you get with the CD install.

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 29/03/10 17:30:50 CDT
tonyorob
Former Member
Message 160 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper

The specs on my affected computers are as follows:

LG Notebook (LS50a) CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz M 725  - 1.23GB RAM -  XP Home SP3

Emachines (Acer) EL1600 Desktop PC   Intel(R) Atom (TM) CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz - 1 GB RAM - XP Home SP3

Both computers are running McAfee Total Protection 2010 downloaded and installed from my account with McAfee Australia.

At least one of them was installed after complete uninstall and using MCPR tool. I did not use the preinstool tool as I did not know until recently that this was an option. I think that on each installation the systems were checked for conflicting software and no conflicts were found. Is it really worth using the preinstall tool and re-installing all over again?

Thanks for your perseverence! Let us know if you require more spec. or program detail.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community