Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonyorob
Former Member
Message 111 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi Peacekeeper

No I did not reset IE before reinstalling Total Protection 2010.

I am not sure what you mean by the "preinstall file". Is it on the McAfee website? However when I install McAfee TP 2010 the program checks for incompatible software on my computer.

I bought TP 2010 directly from McAfee.

Thanks - from tonyorob

Peacekeeper
Message 112 of 1,143

try to run this tool first:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreinstall.exe

also, make sure that your Windows and Java is fully updated. Run the Cleanup tool for McAfee to remove any remnants of the old software:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

reinstall your products.

That is the tool. Pity I am not heading down your way as only 80Km away. Could have seen the issue.

rogerd
Contributor
Message 113 of 1,143

I can't run the pre-install at the moment as my client has the PC back after I removed 2010 update and placed temporary AV protection on it. However, she did purchase direct from McAfee and they have automatically taken money from her account 3 weeks before her subscription expired this coming weekend.............

Quaffa
Former Member
Message 114 of 1,143

Hi All,

This is my first  post on the forum, and yes, it is to report that I too have, or had, all the symptoms that are being reported in this thread.

• I too get the McSvHost  error message when I power-down but, like a lot of people, not every time
  • I too find that my  customisations within My Home Network do not stick.

I also had the  problem with the McAfee desktop icon being reinstalled, but I went on  the chat support and received instruction from there on how to stop that  happening. It involved following this link:-

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/ICONDisplayTool.zip

and then running a  .cmd file in the resulting .zip to open a command window in which I  could disable the icons.

However, although  that certainly did cure the desktop icon problem, I realised that McAfee  is also insisting on creating a shortcut in my Start menu  (Start>Programs) at each boot-up as well. Previously I had the McAfee shortcut within a main  group I called 'Security', but I now have to have it on its own.

Up until last week,  I had the 'old' style McAfee installed, and it worked quietly away in  the background, doing what it was supposed to. (Hopefully...) But since  this new 2010 version was forced upon me automatically, it has been  nothing but trouble. I have spent about eight hours this week trying to  get it to work correctly, and I still haven't. I am not impressed at  all.

I am running  Windows XP Media Centre Edition with SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 with an  Intel T5500 CPU and 2GB of RAM.

I bought McAfee  Total Protection as a physical CD in a box from my local computer store  back in May 2007, and I have renewed my subscription each year since  then. (So it's due again in May; I wonder if I will be renewing it...?)

My recent problems  started straight after the automatic forced upgrade to McAfee 2010  version on Friday, (I'm not entirely sure where to find the exact  version, because there is none of the usual Help>About menu anywhere I  can find), when I began getting error messages over my systray at each  boot-up, telling me that Backup & Restore had been automatically  removed.

I engaged in a tech  support chat support session on Monday, and was advised by them that  the automatic download had not completed properly, and they had me  uninstall the product, then run the MCPR cleanup tool and then  re-download and re-install the product. (So I installed 'over' the old  version, but only after running the cleanup tool.)

Shortly after that I  noticed the reappearing desktop icon problem, which was -partially-  solved by the advice I received in chat support to run the  IcondisplayTool from the above link.

I realised that the  error messages on shutdown, (McSvHost), were McAfee-related shortly  after that, and I discovered this thread by doing a Google on the  filename.

tonyorob
Former Member
Message 115 of 1,143

Hi Quaffa

I think your post was very well expressed. I have the same problems but am not too worried about the reappearance of the desktop icon or the Start Menu item.

My reason for replying is that you can determine your exact version by going to" Navigation" on the main page of the program and selecting "About". My SecurityCenter version is 10.0  and Build is 10.0.570 with various other components listed and their version numbers also.

It looks as if McAfee are at last looking seriously at the problem. Let's hope the fix comes soon.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 116 of 1,143

Hi All,

I'm having this issue aswell on my Acer aspire one netbook. This "mcsvhost.exe" error on shutdown does not happen everytime I shut my computer down, but more often than not it does.

What I do find confusing that this error is not happening on my main computer

Both my computers are running Windows xp SP3.

I have the 3 user mcafee internet security 2010.

This error did not happen when I had the 3 user internet security 2009 version

I have reinstalled mcafee again from my account (as i was told to do by Chat service in mcafee) this still did not fix this issue.

I hope mcafee can sort this out for us all.

My mcafee security centre version is: 10.0

Build: 10.0.570

Virus scan version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.306

Firewall version: 11.0

Build: 11.0.378

Thankyou.

on 27/03/10 15:22:17 GMT
Peacekeeper
Message 117 of 1,143

I can't run the pre-install at the moment as my client has the PC back after I removed 2010 update and placed temporary AV protection on it. However, she did purchase direct from McAfee and they have automatically taken money from her account 3 weeks before her subscription expired this coming weekend

OK maybe best to wait

My recent problems  started straight after the automatic forced upgrade to McAfee 2010  version on Friday, (I'm not entirely sure where to find the exact  version, because there is none of the usual Help>About menu anywhere I  can find), when I began getting error messages over my systray at each  boot-up, telling me that Backup & Restore had been automatically  removed.

Go to navigation and about (on Right side). Yes backup now an online backup

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/03/10 6:01:27 AM
gaby_florin86
Former Member
Message 118 of 1,143

The only way to make the problem disappear is by ending the McSvHost.exe from task manager before shuting down Windows. At least at my worked.

Quaffa
Former Member
Message 119 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote: "Go to navigation and about (on Right side). Yes backup now an online  backup."

Yes, thanks for that.

I wasn't actually concerned about 'losing' the backup & restore, because I never used it. (In fact I didn't realise I actually had it installed to begin with.) I certainly didn't want to get it back.

I was just pointing out that this was the first thing that went awry with the 2010 Version upgrade; everything went downhill from there...

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 120 of 1,143

This is my first post here after googling for a solution to this problem.  I've had technical support emailing me telling me to do this and that, but without success.  Even wiping the hard disk, doing a clean Windows install (XP Home SP2) and installing the Antivirus Plus 2010 product again, the problem remains.  McSvHost starts up when I connect to the internet.  It keeps my internet connection open and McAfee won't tell me why.

If I don't connect to the internet when I use my computer, it closes down without the error message, because McSvHost.exe isn't running.

In my Internet Options Advanced settings, I have set to close the connection if no longer needed.  It used to prompt me to disconnect when I exited my browser, but not any more.  So then I changed the setting to close the connection if it is idle for 3 minutes, closed all my applications and left the computer alone.  It was still connected to the internet half an hour later.  Even closing the internet connection via the icon in the system tray still resulted in the error message on shutdown of the PC.

The solution that I use is to disconnect from the internet with the icon in the system tray, then use Task Manager to kill off McSvHost.exe, wait a few seconds then the PC can be shut down clean with no error messages.

I have the CD version that I bought from PC World and I examined the CD and all the cab files on it and discovered that this file McSvHost.exe isn't there.  Nor is it on my PC if I install from CD.  BUT... I followed the option to install direct from McAfee and that's where the problem started.  Even installing from the CD, McSvHost.exe isn't there, but as soon as I connect to McAfee and all the updates come pouring in, it appears.

I discovered from another google search that the file seems to be intended for use with Vista or Windows 7, but not XP, so does this mean that in XP we can delete it, or at least disable it in msconfig? - Which brings me to another question - why does McAfee interfere with my access to msconfig, saying access denied error and that I should log on using an administrator account, which I already am - but despite these messages, the changes made in msconfig still work.

I should be able to confirm the compatability issue next week, as I've bought Windows 7 and intend to install that on a second hard disk this weekend and set up a dual boot for Windows 7 and XP.  Then see if I get the same problem with Windows 7.  I detest being forced to keep upgrading just because certain parties bring out new versions, or updates of their software that isn't compatible with older stuff.

Not good at all McAfee.  I used to swear by your software, but I won't be using it again.  It was fine when the Antivirus and Firewall were individual programs, but since following the Symantec disaster method of integrating everything into a "Security Centre" it's gone to pot.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community