cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bowl4her
Former Member
Message 91 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Evre since I have run anit-spyware (Mcafee, Spyware Doctor), malware (malwarebyte, IOBit Secruity, Advance System Care), I haven't received this error anymore.  I have also notice even though I have 4 Gb of RAM, I am limited to 3 Gb since loading  Advance System Care.  I am no longer recieving the McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown' error anymore.  Not sure if any of this is connected, but offer it as something to look into more.

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 92 of 1,143

Hi Bowl4her...

We have been using McAfee 2009 and it is interesting enough on my machine techinician (level 2.5) had spent atleast 5 hours.

In a strange experience, after techinician ran external malware software and reinstall McAfee, I actual got a svhost.exe running (yes svhost, not svchost.exe) and that freak me out and ended up going through support again. Funny thing is that McAfree free scan doesn't find any virus or anything wrong on my machine, still support ended up getting rid of svhost.exe and guess what still Shutdown error is there.

Level 2.5 guy ended up running root kit clearner on my machine and now problem is intermittent, Does it ,mean my mahchine is infacted? doesn't make sens as this machine is only 6+ months old and had McAfee 2009 from day one. So one way(2009) or the other (2010) McAfee failed me.and after spedning 10+ hours with support people I don't have time and energy left for software that cost me only $22 for 3 machines

Hi Peacekeeper,

Do you have all log files from level 2.5 support perosn (his name is Aldrin)?

Not sure if anyone of you had purchased from online retailers like buy.com (where I got my DVD from) and they are selling much cheaper than McAfee's own renewal rate and if that has to do anything with it (well you don't want to think that way, but since Toyota debacle anything is possible )

thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 93 of 1,143

That is the cuase on a couple users malware but as some reformated and got it maybe not the full cause.

Peacekeeper
Message 94 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper,

Do you have all log files from level 2.5 support perosn (his name is Aldrin)?

Not sure if anyone of you had purchased from online retailers like buy.com (where I got my DVD from) and they are selling much cheaper than McAfee's own renewal rate and if that has to do anything with it (well you don't want to think that way, but since Toyota debacle anything is possible )

I do not have log files as I am only a helper me Mcafee does not give me access to their internal files. I will ask as root kits were a big cause of the old Not protected error.

I would suggest you try this it is a draft virus testing doc we are making up especially try the stinger with the setup mentioned.

Before you post:

Step 1: Ensure Windows and McAfee are up to date

Run Windows Update, and also update on your McAfee software. SecurityCenter must be green and show that protection is enabled. If it is red, please post what item shows not protected.

Step 2: Run the FakeAlert Stinger

The most common malware is referred to as FakeAlert. It looks like valid security software.

1. Please read this and follow all instructions: Important notice if you think you have a virus
  2. Please also read this and follow all instructions: Recognizing and avoiding Rogue Software or FakeAlert Trojans

If you're still having problems, try, the following:

Step 3: Run diagnostic scanners

1. Restart your computer and press F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll see a boot screen with choices.
  2. Using your cursor keys, select Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution state and most processes will not be run.
  3. Go to My Computer (in XP) or Computer ( in Vista / 2007),
  4. Right-click the hard drive and select Scan from the drop-down menu. You'll notice an extra taskbar icon. If you hover over it, it will display a progress report.
  5. After the scan completes, make a note of anything it detected.
  6. Run the Stinger you downloaded from the instructions above, but this time set the options to Report Only, and set Artemis to VERY HIGH.  
  7. Post to the community what (if anything) the Safe Mode scan reported, and also paste in the report from Artemis.

Step 4: Submit a sample to McAfee Labs

If you know which file is infected, please upload it using any of the methods described here: How to submit a sample to McAfee Labs.

There is always a gap in protection between when a new threat hits the Internet and a security vendor such as McAfee becomes aware of the threat and and combats it. McAfee uses Artemis technology to narrow that gap, but if we miss something, we must receive a sample of it. It could be a new variant that hasn't been discovered yet. If we have a DAT for it, the automated system will send you that DAT. If we don't yet, your sample will be assigned to a McAfee Labs Engineer for investigation.

Step 5: Remove the Virus:

Self Virus Removal

McAfee provides many free tools to assist you. In addition to our Virus Information Library: http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx, where you can find information on thousands of viruses and malware, you can download diagnostic tools here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.aspx.

There are also many freely available tools on the Internet. McAfee urges caution in their use and assumes no liability for them.

Two of the most commonly downloaded tools are:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (This can also be downloaded and run from Safe Mode with Networking Support)

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Be sure to use the free versions.

IMPORTANT: Neither of these tools is intended for use as a full protection virus scanner. They are best used for specific times when new malware, or a new malware variant, has released and conventional methods of removal have not worked.

McAfee Assisted Virus Removal

McAfee provides a fee-based Virus Removal Service which can be accessed here:

http://service.mcafee.com/SpecializedServiceHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=VR

If no virus is detected, the fee will be refunded to you.

Community Support

Our volunteer and employee moderators are happy to assist you within our best efforts here in the community. Please perform the initial steps 1-3 above and post the reports they generate in your initial thread. That way hopefully, we can get right to the troubleshooting.

olf-art
Former Member
Message 95 of 1,143

I've got the same problem. Brand new Win XP. SP3 install with all Windows updates..Installed and updated McAfee 10 and there it was and STILL is McSvHost error on shutdown..Come on McAfee!!! this issue has been around for more than a month.There's been over 7000 views and 90 replies to this post in the Forum and sadly no help for any of us. Someone needs a rocket up the Khyber in this organisation to get some action on this problem. HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP!

Peacekeeper
Message 96 of 1,143

I have stirred they are contacting some members here to see what is the cause. As far as I see they have not reproduced it. Mine is fine never seen the error .

will investigate further

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 97 of 1,143

Hello Peace,

Here are my findings after spending 5 hours last night.

Stinger ran and see as under.

------------------------------------------

McAfee® Stinger Version 10.0.1.758 built on Jan 25 2010

Copyright © 2010 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v1000 created on Jan 25 2010.

Ready to scan for 1491 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Sun Mar 21 22:26:33 2010

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD8SESD\WinDVDFs.exe

Found the Artemis!0169798F8FC6 virus !!!

C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD8SESD\WinDVDFs.exe has been deleted.

Number of clean files: 427255

Number of infected files: 1

Number of files deleted: 1

-------------------------

Now boot machine in safe mode, ran scan on C: drive and McAfee just reported few tracking cookies.

Now run Stinger again, in safe mode, found nothing.

-------------

McAfee® Stinger Version 10.0.1.758 built on Jan 25 2010

Copyright © 2010 McAfee, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Virus data file v1000 created on Jan 25 2010.

Ready to scan for 1491 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scan initiated on Mon Mar 22 00:40:13 2010
  Number of clean files: 427219

------------------------

It is interesting that if virus in first thing is indeed virus it is discovered after level 2.5 spend more than 5 hours on my machine, ran all sort of utilities and nothing concrete was concluded.

It is worth to mention that during all this time always had either 2009 or 2010 and problem only started after 2010 installation. While the reported program was even exist during 2009.

So it seems my log has nothing useful for Labs to report to. Let me know your thoughts..

Thanks

Message was edited by: exhausted_customer on 3/22/10 10:22:11 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 98 of 1,143

Was that Stinger on high sensitivity found that? that file in an Intervideo file usually Ok but would have beem\n nice to set to report only and send off the file to Mcafee labs to confirm. I feel your issue not fixed is that correct?

Who reading this bought their subscription direct from Mcafee ( This asked for another reason definately not remotely suggesting this caus,e it isn't, but I need to know for another reason)

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 99 of 1,143

In safe mode it was ran as Report only with High sensitivity and nothing was found. However as per instruction Stinger was ran in full mode wit system restore off, then reboot machine in safe mode.

There is a .opt file stored on desktop by stinger and not sure what is it.

Peacekeeper
Message 100 of 1,143

Post the file here please I will grab it then remove it

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/03/10 4:55:09 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community