cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Foxy
Former Member
Message 61 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I am constantly watching this site for a solution.

marie
Former Member
Message 62 of 1,143

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem?

I installed McAfee on a fresh install of XP, but received the error message about "McSvHost.exe" on shutdown.  I have used McAfee since they first came out without any problems, but the last two versions have caused problems.  Last Year's version forced me to contact Tech Support, which resulted in hanging up on the technician whose only solution was to "reinstall the product."  The problem was corrected with an update.  This time, I will avoid contacting the Tech Support.

Also, is there anyway to remove the Desktop Icon without editting my registry?  I think it is completely unacceptable for McAfee to force their icon onto my desktop without my permission.  Shame on McAfee!!!

jmo1112
Former Member
Message 63 of 1,143

Hey Peacekeeper.  I'm having the exact same issue as well.  Started with 2009, completely uninstalled, and since installing 2010, I get the error on shutdown.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rogerd
Contributor
Message 64 of 1,143

Same problem here on a Laptop that I have been asked to repair since the owner installed 2010 Update and renewed her subscription. If she's stuck with this for another year, it'll be a shame if I have to remove it and sell her something else instead. Dell PC running XP SP3, nothing fancy running at all. I've used the removal tool to remove all traces of old installation and reinstalled using her subscription on the Mcafee website. Virtual Technician mentions an inf file missing in the Firewall programme (other threads cover that one, still no solution) and I get this shutdown error as well.........................

Peacekeeper
Message 65 of 1,143

As I said Mcafee is contacting some users in this thread . there will be a fix or a reason for the issue soon but not all are getting this so something is the catalyst to cause it. I have been using 2010 since beta version day 1 and have not seen this issue. It was there on startup for the first release but was fixed in release 2 back in October.

Re the desktop icon should be fixed soon as well

spectron1
Former Member
Message 66 of 1,143

I have just installed Internet Security 2010 using Windows XP and guess what never had a problem with 2009 but the same shutdown error message 'click ok to terminate' like everyone else is getting on the shutdown screen (cannot therefore do a screen dump).  Just to let you know my PC does shut down after waiting a little longer even without clicking ok to terminate program. Judging by the number of posts to this problem,  I won't even bother doing a reinstall and I also did use the unistallation tool to completely remove 09 version. Come on McAfee, when will there be a fix available for this in the updates?

Does this mean also that because 2010 is buggy, am I open to internet security threats?

Message was edited by: spectron1 on 09/03/10 15:22:11 CST

Message was edited by: spectron1 on 14/03/10 05:06:47 CDT
zkrloo
Contributor
Message 67 of 1,143

I have 2 PC with this error.

PC1:

• How did you install 2010 version?

Download DMSetup.exe. After this, install him. A fresh installation, with no upgrades.

• Is it a fresh installation or is it a over installation on MSC 2009?

Fresh installation.

• How much is your system RAM.

512MB RAM

• DO you have too many programs running on start up?

Only 2 programs (mcagent and ctfmon)

PC2:

• How did you install 2010 version?

Download DMSetup.exe. After this, install him. A fresh installation, with no upgrades.

• Is it a fresh installation or is it a over installation on MSC 2009?

Fresh installation.

• How much is your system RAM.

4GB RAM

• DO you have too many programs running on start up?

4 programs (mcagent and others, that I don´t remember now)

Thanks for your help.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 68 of 1,143

Only for statistics, my 3 PC have the same issue at shoutdown.

And more: McSvHost.exe uses a hight level of resources when we are navigating (40-90%).

And in one of these 3 PC, mchshield.exe uses ups to 99% of CPU when I work with videos. A singular issue, without solution yet.

I am thinking seriously go back to McAfee 9...

El mensaje fue editado por: mcscotty57 on 10/03/10 11:55:08 CST
GeekStyle59
Former Member
Message 69 of 1,143

I, too, get an shutdown error and would like help.

Peacekeeper
Message 70 of 1,143

Techs looking into this they will contact some of you to see what the cause is. Best to wait and see what happem

nb. I will update the thread if I hear back from them anything I can post.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/03/10 6:05:50 AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community