cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

McAfee no longer on desktop.

I created another thread because this problem has nothing to do with the other one I had.

I was away from my computer and when I came back 'mcupdshm.dll' had crashed and forced McAfee to close, after this happened, the McAfee Total Protection is no longer on my desktop but I can access it from the Start menu or the toolbar.

Now there is just a blank space where it was, it's really digging on my OCD.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee no longer on desktop.

Have you tried rebooting?    Then perhaps run the MVT http://mvt.mcafee.com/ see if that fixes things.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I found a mcsync log which is relevant to this. mcsync enumerates everything on the desktop, and is responsible for removing and re-establishing the McAfee desktop shortcut. This is another manifestation of a problem in the mcsync code, perhaps.

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Rebooting didn't fix it, but dragging the Total Protection icon from the programs list and putting on the desktop worked.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 5

Let us know it it goes again. Conor remind us what your OS is please.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community