Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwill64
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee from Comcast Will Not Install

System Win XP Pro SP2 1.5GB memory

I have been using McAfee for some time now. The other day, it downloaded an update, then asked me to reboot. After doing so, it told me I needed to download a new version. Followed all the instructions, - ie updates from MS, set all IE config options as instructed. The porduct downloads and installs security center and then downloads the programs. It then starts installation with Virus Scan. After about a minute, it tells me installation fails, and I get red x's in all products. Why this does not create an error log or give some kind of diagnostic info is curious. What I have done to try to resolve:

Downloaded tool to uninstall all McAfee products - ran successfully and rebooted.
Made sure not other anti-virus pgms present
Double checked IE settings
Tried again using FireFox - same outcome.
Used Virtual technician - it said nothing found to fix.
Called support through Comcast - same outcome going through it with tech.

What else is there to do? Is there some type of software available by McAfee that's called "pre-install" that supposedly preps your system up first? maybe download.mcafee.com/products/lic···tall.exe ???
5 Replies
BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

RE: McAfee from Comcast Will Not Install

Hi,
What is version of Internet Explorer you use?
Did you made any recent change to the computer?
Steps
Follow the Document ID: TS100507 Try to run the MCPR Download the removal tool from:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Restart the computer
Run the McAfee preinstall tool Try to install the McAfee product let us know the outcome.
: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.exe
bwill64
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Did that - several times

I did use the removal tool and repeated the process several times. I also used the pre-install tool. The last time I tried last night, I did get the virtual mechanic - or whatever it is called, to produce a report with a case number. I don't have the info infront of me now, but it said it was missing registry entries, and several files, including .dlls. If I am clearing everything off my computer that is mcAfee, why would these things not be taken care of by the installer? Really, this tool is WAY to unforgiving....

BTW, using IE8, no recent changes - McAfee was running fine untill I had to upgrade.
bwill64
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Solved my install problem

After using McAfee for several years, and having to go through the same hardship every time a new version was required, I threw in the towel and bought and installed Trend Micro AV.

I will say the support staff person I talked with last was professional, but after following the advice on this forum to get the new version installed, going through the entire process several times only to get generic "failed" checkmarks, I called support to find out what to do, and I was lead like a sheep through the entire process yet again only to result in the same failure message. At this point I was asked to make sure I didn't have another antivirus product installed, and that I had all current Windows updates, and then to call back.

Of course, I did have all updates, and I know my own computer since I did build it myself, and it NEVER had anything but McAfee on it. All this did not make a bit of difference to the tech.

So I went through the process again and this time got the virtual technician to run! And it gave me reasons for the current failure - yes it failed again.

Armed with this information, I was sure that I was on the road to a quick solution to the problem, but alas, this was soon to be disproved because the last tech, although very sweet, had me run through the entire process AGAIN - I added the steps she missed as I was thourghly versed in them by now. Long story short - it failed again. The tech was not interested in the log that the previous failed install provided, nor was she interested in running the virtual tech again. Instead she said that she was going to escalate my case and that I would be called back within a few hours. I told her that I had the time to fix the issue now rather than in a few hours, but aparently the escalation people are very busy these days...

As promised, they did call back, and as expected, I did not have the time to sit and play with it. I was told to call back within 24 hours or the case would be closed. Since I did not get to call back within the next 24 hours, I decided to forget the entire thing. A friend told me about Trend Micro.

I downloaded and had it running in half the time spent on downloading the McAfee suite alone. It installed perfectly on my system nicely cleaned of anything McAfee by the McAffee uninstaller and pre install programs themselves. This tool is far superior as I can install it on 3 computers and monitor their protection status over my home network via a handy interface. Updates are downloaded in an instant and my system is not bogged down while doing so. Scans are discreet and very fast. I always found myself canceling the scan with McAfee.

My advice to users who want to keep their hair is to look for alternatives. Why this software can't install without these issues and needs a forum like this with thousands of threads with 90 percent of them having the words "does not work" is good testimony against installing it in the first place.

This product is way too unforgiving. Good luck to you.

Individual post now moved to the original thread - Mod
bwill64
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Nice!!!

You wouldnt want this out where people might read it :eek:
WGP
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

McAfee loses another customer

I have used McAfee for years now on multiple business computers - all paid subscriptions. I use Comcast as my ISP and wanted to take advantage of the free McAfee download. I should have read this forum first, because it would have saved me a lot of time. I spent most of yesterday getting the run-around from McAfee and Comcast too. The easy solution is simple - don't use McAfee, use some other product.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community