cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlyle
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

McAfee doesn't recognize Chrome

McAfee keeps warning me that Chrome is trying to use the internet. I've been using Chrome on this system since I got it in September. But every week or so, it tells me

"McAfee detected a program on your PC that is trying to accept incoming connections from the Internet.

Program: Google Chrome

Locations c:\program files (x86)\google\chrome\application\chrome.exe

Recommendation: unknown program

Tell McAfee about this program"

When I try to tell McAfee, I get a site that is not McAfee, and that already purports to know about Chrome.

Not a critical problem, but it's beginning to become annoying.

16 Replies
jaymfe
Former Member
Message 2 of 17

Re: McAfee doesn't recognize Chrome

Hi Jlyle,

Welcome to McAfee Community.

You are getting a pop-up saying "McAfee detected a program on your PC that is trying to accept incoming connections from the Internet”, right? There is nothing to worry about it. McAfee is giving an alert to you that Google Chrome is now trying to connect with internet. You can disable this warning. Please follow the below steps and screenshots attached.

Please open McAfee and click on the “Navigation” on the top left of McAfee and select “General settings and Alert”.

Now please click on the “Informational Alerts” drawer and uncheck the “A program is allowed to connect to Internet”. That's all.

navi.gif

info alert.jpg

jlyle
Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the rapid response.

Actually, it's a little deeper. That box was not checked. And the warning is not just informational; it asks me to OK the application. (I didn't a screen capture so I can't say exactly what it said, but it required a response.)

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 4 of 17

I have attached a screen shot. Please let me know if you get the same pop-up or a different one.

chrome.jpg

jlyle
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Nope. The text of the message is as I copied it above--I just didn't copy the language for the "OK, allow" and "no way" links.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 6 of 17

Please check the Program Permissions on the Firewall Settings and let me know if Googlechrome is allowed to “Outgoing” access.

jlyle
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Not "outgoing," but "full."

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 8 of 17

How often getting this alert? What is the OS on your computer? Are you getting this alert only about Chrome?

jlyle
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I can't say--it doesn't seem very often, but I guess it's more than it used to be or I wouldn't have mentioned it. Once a week, maybe a little more. I usually hibernate, and only power cycle once every day or so.

OS is Win 7, 64 bit.

I've gotten it about one or two other things -- web conferences, I think. I'll keep an eye out.

jaymfe
Former Member
Message 10 of 17

Did you configure any Firewall rules? If no click on “Restore Defaults” button from Firewall Settings and enable “Smart Advice” and select “Decide Automatically”.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community