cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SNorman
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

McAfee continues to falsely detect my files...

This is a followup notice I'm writing based on this thread:http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=233201

In the thread, Moderator Ex_Brit posted a link that now is apparently down.
Basically, the thread explained how to confirm a file that is being falsely detected by sending it to threat detection center.

Upon sending my file, they once again claimed the harmless file was a virus because of a specific part of the file, which is commonly "detected" in files created by game modders.

After responding in defense, they stated there was nothing more they could do.
I'm fairly tired of this. I've tried everything to get it to quit detecting my files. 3/4 of my files from trusted sites are being thrown out.

If you don't mind, I have a request. Anyone with some authority, I'd greatly appreciate an override option in the next update, cause restoring it just to have it put back in quarantine is causing me a great deal of stress, more so when threat detection center sides with the false detection.
8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

RE: McAfee continues to falsely detect my files...

That link was valid then, but was since moved. It's here now: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=233662 and in various other spots too.

The only way to do it is as described therein. Appeal by return email if they state it's a virus and they will test it further. Keep appealing.

Try sending the file to VirusTotal and find how many different A/V scanners detect it: http://www.virustotal.com/
SNorman
Former Member
Message 3 of 9

I've tried they keep telling me the same thing.
Other than that, I didn't need to. One of my friends had the same problem and sent it in. McAfee is one of the only A/V that seems to detect it.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Tell them that. I would most definitely get a 3rd party opinion however. Virustotal runs the file through all the world's major anti-virus applications.
I would do that rather than rely on what someone says.

What kind of software is this?
SNorman
Former Member
Message 5 of 9

I've tried they keep telling me the same thing.
Other than that, I didn't need to. One of my friends had the same problem and sent it in. McAfee is one of the only A/V that seems to detect it.
SNorman
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

This one is a "Game Trainer". It redirects certain game info into a false data cache, in turn enabling cheats and glitches.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

Hmm, not too sure about that. It probably works in a similar manner to a trojan.

All I can suggest is keep trying.

I would definitely get Virustotal's opinion.
SNorman
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

That's what I was thinking, because it in a way steals info like a trojan.
I'll try Virustotal myself, but if nothing else, I still think an override option would be an excellent addition to the next update.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

I agree, we've been suggesting they bring back that option for years.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community