cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ag86
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

McAfee and Webroot?

I’ve been using McAfee Security Suite from Comcast and Webroot (Spy Sweeper) together for a few months and I haven’t had any problems. About a week or so ago Webroot decided it was going to upgrade me to Spy Sweeper with Anti-Virus.

Is this going to cause any problems? Can I have 2 Anti-Virus programs running at the same time?

From what I understand the Webroot Anti-Virus only runs when you run a Scan, does that make any difference?

If I turn off the Webroot Anti-Virus when I run a Scan will that make a difference?
3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

RE: McAfee and Webroot?

Yes this could actually cause you to be vulnerable to infection. Never run 2 anti-virus applications together as they will surely clash.

There are several anti-spyware applications which we recommend at the beginning of THIS post.

Personally I prefer SpywareBlaster, SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes. Careful to check system requirements, not all are Windows 7 compliant, if that applies.
Ag86
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

If I turn off the Webroot Anti-Virus can I still run Spy Sweeper?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 4

Possibly but you wont know until you try I suppose. Isn't there an option to install it without anti-virus?

If not I wouldn't install it at all, especially given its history of clashing with McAfee anyway. There are others that are perfectly good: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community