cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcholcomb47
Former Member
Message 21 of 30

Re: McAfee Updates forcibly shut down computer

My PC rebooted without warning today while I was watching a video on You Tube.  Mcafee had installed an update about 2 hours earlier, and asked to restart now or later.  Since I was working on some emails, I selected later, expecting it would pop up and ask me again.  There was no option given for time to wait.  As I was watching the video, in full screen mode, I wasn't using the mouse or keyboard at all.  Then things started shutting down, and the computer rebooted.  Fortunately, I didn't have anything critical open, so I didn't lose anything, but the computer hung on reboot, or appeared to anyway--After about 8-10 minutes, the Windows start screen was still up, so I power-failed it and got a normal restart.  The Windows event log showed the same thing reported by mayuninstall on December 11:  "The process mcupdmgr.exe has initiated the restart of computer DESKTOP on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)"

This is the second or third time this has happended to me over the past several months.  I am hopeful that the update that was installed today that called for a restart fixes the problem.  If not, and if it's not fixed this month or next, I may be looking for a different anti virus program too.  Restarting without warning is clearly unacceptable.

manateepower
Contributor
Message 22 of 30

pretty much the same problem with me (except it hasn't automatically restarted). BUT mcafee is only on my laptop because it was a trial from when i bought it, the one month trial is over, and i dont even want to use Mcafee, and every hour it asks me to update. Its annoying, and now I know it might make my computer restart automatically, which is unacceptable.

Peacekeeper
Message 23 of 30

jcholcomb47 Were you watching you tube full screen? The fix is done but needs to be QA'd and added to a patch for other things. so it will come within your stipulated time frame. Touch wood.

manateepower to fully remove it

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

flowerdlou
Former Member
Message 24 of 30

I'm having the same problem with the forcible shut downs. McAfee is required on my computer for work. I work through a portal and had no idea that a notification even showed up for me to restart later. As I do call center work, this shut down caused me to lose a call.  Help! I must get this repaired. Thanks in advance!

Peacekeeper
Message 25 of 30

This fix is coming very soon. Within 3 weeks or less.

flowerdlou
Former Member
Message 26 of 30

Thanks for the update Peacekeeper!  Less will certainly be better as the shut down happened again while working today.  I can't continue to have this disruption.  I don't want to lose my job.

Peacekeeper
Message 27 of 30

You can disable updates and manually do them at startup and stutdown. not the best way but will help.

patswil94
Former Member
Message 28 of 30

Pretty poor coding, I guess.  A fix should be out before three weeks.  They'll lose customers.

Any updates?

micksd
Contributor
Message 29 of 30

Another forced shutdown today when I stepped away from my computer for 15 minutes; lost everything I was working on. Had delayed the update earlier but didn't see the notice for this one, so I guess if you don't respond it just goes ahead and shuts you down. Why can't the update wait until you shut your computer down, like Windows update does? How much longer do we have to put up with this! The software is free with my Cox subscription but it is getting harder to not just dump it and pay for something that is more reliable. I have already complained to Cox about this and will again since it is being supplied by them. Maybe they should find a new security software to provide to their clients.

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 30

Ok hate to do this but fix delayed a month or so due to urgent other updates to partner products. Why not set updates to notify after boot and reset to download prior to shutdown and try updating after boot and prior to shutdown till this mess fixed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community