cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paulie-D
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: McAfee Total Protection gets a major facelift tonight

Ex_Brit, indeed and appreciated nonetheless.

Ex_Brit wrote:

Well I tried.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 17

Paulie-D wrote:

My Vista Ultimate machines are finally beginning to receive the update tonight .. and at the proper "suite" version.  However, I immediately notice that my Vista machines had their Windows Defender app turned off. I assume for the moment, was the result of McAfee's direction.

In regard to user "geoperkins" issue, and since he didn't ask, I have three pressing questions on his behalf and for others who will likely experience his issue, given McAfee's recent track record:

1. Is McAfee aware of AND confirming this upgrade-versioning issue?  Yes - they are aware of various issues and there's a major patCh due soon to fix most of them - except the missing Backup & Restore, that's discontinued.

2. What resolve is being offered at this time, to bring the upddated version to the previously-owned "suite" level?  It will happen naturally through updates but you can expedite by uninstalling, running the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links above), rebooting and redownloading from your account.

3. If no immediate resolve is offered / available, would we be able to uninstall this new version and then reinstall the paid-for version .. or would it, too, be replaced by this failed update / upgrade? You can't return to the old product if that's what you mean.

As my original post mentioned, my WinXP Pro machines seemed to update without any apparent versioning issue.  The same now applies to my Vista Ultimate machines which are reporting (under Navigation > About) as follows:  SecurityCenter: 10.0.580, VirusScan 14.0.309, DAT 5963.0000, Engine  5400.1158, Personal Firewall 11.0.378, Site Advisor 3.1.0.162, Anti-Spam  11.0.261, Content 3520, Engine 2.1.0.8571 and Parental Controls 12.0.283.

That appears to be a complete suite to me.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Message was edited by: Paulie-D on 4/25/10 7:10:23 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Paulie-D on 4/25/10 7:11:47 PM CDT

typo corrected on 4/25/10 7:12:03 PM CDT
geoperkins
Former Member
Message 13 of 17

The refund policy, conveniently, is 30 days. My 2009 subscription expired 3/20/2010 and I renewed then for the prior GUI and suite of features and functionality. On 4/24/2010 (35 days after purchase) my computer automatically updated to an inferior 2010 product with reduced features. So not only can't I get my money back, I can't restore to the prior version.

On 4/24/2010 I could not run quick clean, and a FAQ (elsewhere) indicated it was a feature I could enable and download. Like I said, not on 4/24!! On 4/26/2010 this feature was available through download, which I have done. The new quick clean seemed to do the job requested, but now the GUI is simplified and there is less ability to customize and control how the clean proceeds, no confirmation screen, for instance. I really don't know if it worked or what it did.

I am still very ticked off that all of the parental controls settings were simply wiped out by this version upgrade. That is totally inconsiderate of your customers McAfee! I have a home network of 4 computers and must now re-establish the settings on each computer. A FAQ I found elsewhere on issues with the new version does mention that prior version logs would be wiped out. Makes no mention of wiping out parental controls.

The new GUI is "dumbed down" and lacks the advanced option. The new GUI doesn't have a one-to-one mapping of all of the prior version's features and functions, therefore to me it is no longer the same suite, not even the same product. This is false advertising and bait-and-switch. Both are illegal in my state of Wisconsin.

You can bet I won't be renewing this product and will begin my search for a different security suite from somewhere else. That is where I will put my energy. Reporting McAfee to our state's consumer protection department isn't worth my time for the $60 invested so far. A class-action lawsuit is what is needed here to fight the corporate arrogance, but fat chance of that happening over this particular issue. The 5859 DAT issue, which put thousands of businesses at risk and caused untold issues for their IT staff to fix the problem is more likely to be McAfee's pain point.

Good bye McAfee. You had your chance to compete in the security software market, but you're going down, down, down.

DavidDee
Former Member
Message 14 of 17

What's the best protocol? Discuss issues with this update here or launch specific threads?

We have four licenced XP machines on the home network. Mine got the update automatically but we had to update the others (two so far) by downloading manually. No problem.

The Home Network management feature is now terribly erratic. Data on the remote machines appears and disappears every few minutes. Otherwise everything looks good.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 17

David I would suggest starting your own thread with as many details as possible, that way it will garner more attention.

I guess this section, SecurityCenter 10 - 2010, is as good a one as any.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/10 11:04:39 EDT AM
DavidDee
Former Member
Message 16 of 17

Thanks! Tagged onto "Protection Status Unknown", which looks like the same issue.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 17

You're welcome.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community